• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

The west coast envy and/or west coast impatience thread.

Cheap Ego

TRIBE Member
Sounds like there's a bit of an exodus about to happen.. I'm hearing a lot of noise from people sounding like they're seriously planning a permanent move out west. Why not have a spot for all the q's (aside from the rentals of course, which are well covered in that other thread).

Ie. Anyone ever packed up a u-haul and done the one-way thing? How much did it cost you?

What are some of the areas in van that are nice to live in? I know to stay away from the east side, but aside from that, are the good/bad areas kinda scattered like they are here?

Hopefully four to eight months and counting starting...now! :D

Last edited:

g0nz0

TRIBE Member
Cheap Ego said:
Sounds like there's a bit of an exodus about to happen.. I'm hearing a lot of noise from people sounding like they're seriously planning a permanent move out west. Why not have a spot for all the q's (aside from the rentals of course, which are well covered in that other thread).

Ie. Anyone ever packed up a u-haul and done the one-way thing? How much did it cost you?

What are some of the areas in van that are nice to live in? I know to stay away from the east side, but aside from that, are the good/bad areas kinda scattered like they are here?

Hopefully four to eight months and counting starting...now! :D
picked up and moved out here last april. no regrets.

our costs were probably higher then normal...in the end it was about $5000. (work paid for it, so cost was not a real factor, it was more important that the stuff arrived on a certain date)

we live downtown and love it.

Blacksmurf

TRIBE Member
My gf and I are moving out west to start new jobs. We're driving and looking forward to the trip, although the drive through the prairies will be long and boring. We're looking to land an apt hopefully in Kitsilano. I can't wait to ride the mountains again. Cheers

watanabee

TRIBE Member
For a newcomer to the city I would say that Downtown/Westend is a great place to start as it's very convenient and quite central in regards to the neighborhoods surrounding it. It is also minutes from Stanely park, the beach of English Bay and close to the Lion's Gate bridge which means quick access to the North Shore and Whistler. There are lots of great neighborhoods in this city and yes they are a bit scattered around like in T.O. Kitsilano, Mount Pleasant, Commercial Drive and even North Van all have their own feel, but it may take a bit of exploring to decide which one of these are right for your lifestyle, if any.

Westend prices are always on the rise and seem to be around 750-800/one bedroom. Sometimes you can find a no lease place or sublet if you want to get here, have a central place and explore other areas.

Vancouver is a sweet place to live. I appreciate it everyday since I moved from Toronto, not to say Toronto isn't great in it's own way. Once you see the Northshore mountains covered in snow from the beach on a nice sunny day you'll realize why Vancouver stands out.

Anyone in Van interested in some pick up soccer this spring?

Blacksmurf

TRIBE Member
I could be up for some soccer in the spring. I love outdoor activities and I'm sure I could get some of my friends out to. What are some good clubs in Van, I like rock, house, breakbeat, indie, alternative. Cheers

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

Cheap Ego

TRIBE Member
watanabee said:
Westend prices are always on the rise and seem to be around 750-800/one bedroom. Sometimes you can find a no lease place or sublet if you want to get here, have a central place and explore other areas.
That sounds pretty encouraging..

Have any of you made a lateral move out west, career wise? Do salary ranges change much?

Cheap Ego said:
That sounds pretty encouraging..

Have any of you made a lateral move out west, career wise? Do salary ranges change much?
I have been living here for almost 6 years now and love it. There are lots of great areas to live but the best place to start is right downtown or in Kitsilano that way you are nice and central and can get a feel for the city.

When moving out west be prepared for a bit of a salary decrease, the west coast is more about the lifestlye than a huge high paying jobs. Dont get me wrong there are lots out there, but if big bucks are what you want then stay in Toronto.

What industry do you work in?

Cheap Ego

TRIBE Member
suburban sound system said:
When moving out west be prepared for a bit of a salary decrease, the west coast is more about the lifestlye than a huge high paying jobs. Dont get me wrong there are lots out there, but if big bucks are what you want then stay in Toronto.

What industry do you work in?
Heh.. I'm definitely not in it for the dollars, but it sure would be nice if I could earn the same there as I do here. I'm working in social services/social marketing right now, but given that I do project coordination, I'd consider myself fairly laterally mobile.

I've heard lots about how the economy is heating up with the upcoming winter olympics. Do you find this to be true?

watanabee

TRIBE Member
Cheap Ego said:
I've heard lots about how the economy is heating up with the upcoming winter olympics. Do you find this to be true?
I keep hearing in the media about the BC economy being on the rise as well but from the people who I work with everyone is a bit slow right now. I imagine that the olympics will definatly bring a boost to the economy, if only for a few years. There is a hell of a lot of spending going on to get ready for the games though , great improvements being made like a new Skytrain line and a 4 lane divided highway up to Whistler that will greatly improve transportation in and out of the city for the future. Construction is definatly on the rise here, there are new buildings going up everywhere. Vancouver is really spreading quickly into the valley like toronto has up towards Barrie.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

~Loress~

TRIBE Member
im aiming for may 1st - job secured and im just sorting out my living situation but its looking good. havent quite decided if im going to bring just a few things and fly or do the drive.. would anyone consider doing the drive with me or letting me tag along for the adventure? :)

watanabee

TRIBE Member
had some other interests in playing some pick up Ultimate over soccer, so perhaps we'll try and give that a go. Frisbee golf is a lot of fun as well.

erikwh

TRIBE Member
hey id be in for frisbee golf! iirc there is a cool course set up in central park. i think I posted this in another thread - when I moved back I shipped most of my 'boxable' stuff via greyhoud for about $0.75 per pound. From what I've heard, the drive is pretty nice, especially through the mountains, but that was from people who went in the summer; don't know about the winter...

poker face

TRIBE Member
I want out there so bad. I think by 2008 I will have enough of apprenticeshop done for plumbing I can make a living. Whister you can make money as a plumber and if I leave the dj scene here hopefully I can make the scene there less breaks. Honestly the west coast life is where it is at.

watanabee

TRIBE Member
poker face said:
I want out there so bad. I think by 2008 I will have enough of apprenticeshop done for plumbing I can make a living. Whister you can make money as a plumber and if I leave the dj scene here hopefully I can make the scene there less breaks. Honestly the west coast life is where it is at.
You've got a good plan coming here with a trade skill, and at that time. Construction companies can't find enough people to work on all the developments now, and it's going to be crazy busy around 2008. You should be fine either in Whistler or Vancouver.

On topic of the drive out from Ontario. I drove it the first time I moved out and it was spectacular. Northern Ontario, Alberta and into BC has beautiful scenery. It really helps put the whole move into persective when you drive as well. The second time I moved I packed all of what I didn't sell into plastic crates and shipped them by greyhound. I flew and my stuff arrived a week later.

Cheap Ego

TRIBE Member
I've often heard of people running vehicles across country and/or couriering and getting paid for one-way trips. Does anyone have any experience and/or any leads for those kinds of opportunities?

SuperKennyK

TRIBE Member
I moved out here about two months ago with my girl for a job. Live downtown, but still miss Toronto. I could handle living here but my girl gets really home sick and keeps saying how much she hates it. I think she just needs to meet some friends, but she says that local females are not very friendly and generally bitches. However, she would probably receive the same treatment anywhere. Other girls generally hate tall, thin, blonde, attractive females.

I hope she starts to enjoy the city or else she is going home.

ninja

TRIBE Member
To be in the trades right now in BC is where the "booming economy" is coming from.
I live in Victoria but its a similar situation to Van. any skilled trades people are in huge demand. also with all the construction going on anyone with any experience is being hired up pretty quick.

SuperKennyK, I moved out here in 2001 and I understand the situation your g/f is in. It took me a while to let go of ontario and open up to all the wonderful stuff living out here has to offer.
All I can say is take her snowboarding:)

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Cheap Ego

TRIBE Member
Cheap Ego said:
I've often heard of people running vehicles across country and/or couriering and getting paid for one-way trips. Does anyone have any experience and/or any leads for those kinds of opportunities?
I should probably clarify that I'm not talking about drugs, here..

SuperKennyK

TRIBE Member
ninja said:
SuperKennyK, I moved out here in 2001 and I understand the situation your g/f is in. It took me a while to let go of ontario and open up to all the wonderful stuff living out here has to offer.
All I can say is take her snowboarding:)

Thanks Ninja. Yea, I keep telling her to be patient, I know it takes a while. I'm trying to get her on the slopes. I'm going to plan a trip to Whistler in a couple weeks. Hopefully that makes a difference. In the mean time, I have to deal with her hating the place and comparing it to Toronto.

ninja

TRIBE Member
If you want to take her on a bit of a trip I'm throwing a little chalet party at Mt washington here on the island on the weekend of the 15th 16th of april .
you would be welcome to come. Basically fun skiing durring the day and music djs live pa stuff at night as well.
if your intersted in coming give me a pm.

~Loress~

TRIBE Member
kenny! not sure if you remember me.. lori here (cher's old roomie) hehe..
dude im moving out there for may 1st.. planning to arrive last weekend in april. we def gotta hook up.. ill know only a few ppl too.

ps- i love tall blonde attractive females! :D

BreakzBroad

TRIBE Member
~Loress~ said:
kenny! not sure if you remember me.. lori here (cher's old roomie) hehe..
dude im moving out there for may 1st.. planning to arrive last weekend in april. we def gotta hook up.. ill know only a few ppl too.

ps- i love tall blonde attractive females! :D
aw lori! I'm still planning on moving out there someday with my best friend claire. Don't know if u ever met her, but she's been living there for almost 2 yrs. now, and i"m heading out to visit her around april/may. I will keep ya posted cuz we gotta hook up when I'm down :D

*jeN*