• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

The Web 2.0 Generation, Social Bookmarking & Social Networking

EyeInTheSky

TRIBE Member
Traditional Media is controlled by 5% of the population. A media baron or an editor chooses the content to bring to the masses. What if the masses were to choose what they want on the front page. What if news were as democratic as our political system (i know, don't laugh). This is not some utopic scenario, it is here with Web 2.0 and Social Bookmarking. What you get is la creme de la creme of the internet jungle!

With the recent buyouts of Del.icio.us by Yahoo! and MySpace.com by News Corp, Social Bookmarking & Social Networking have never faced more danger! Social Bookmarking & Social Networking sites pose a formidable threat to traditional media as information is pulled instead of pushed to you. Get involved! You set the news! You set the trends!

Here's some interesting sites leading the wave of social bookmarking sites.

del.icio.us - General social bookmarking but very useful.
digg.com - Tech news, etc,
- Toronto based site on culture, music, art, design, fashion, etc

madnezz

TRIBE Member
I've never heard of the term "social bookmarking" before, and I do a lot of online research for social networks. Where did that term come from?

~atp~

TRIBE Member
While the initiatives you linked are nice examples of early efforts at "democratizing" the way information is controlled and distributed to the end user, it unfortunately falls short in many ways in terms of the efficiency of information mining, the control the user has over content, and the ability to create a network that is democratic with respect to the way content is distributed. I can provide you with more detail, but this exact subject is something I have been extremely interested in for quite some time, and myself and a few others have initiated a project called the "omnicentric news network" (ONN for short). While a full explanation would require more time than I can give, its structure resembles something close to a wiki, except with a far more individual-centred approach. Each "user" owns a "page" (or a set of pages) called a "portal". The portal can then be used to branch out and connect to other portals (users)...more specifically, you will be able to create links to other articles or pieces of news through portals and describe those links as being "favourable", "unfavourable", or virtually any other property you would like. Intelligence built into the back end of the system will start to make "suggestions" to you based on how you are connecting to other users, and the end result is a web of interconnected ideas that simultaneously represents what each user wants to see on their own page as well as a democratic representation of the popularity of various ideas, articles, bits of news, etc.

Anyway, it might sound convoluted, but it is quite intuitive if you think of it like a highly enhanced/intelligent wiki.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

veteze

TRIBE Promoter
How is this any different than Tribe? Worthy news makes headlines. Tribers post it. If it's been posted before it's declared a "timeline!" If they like it they make fun of it and add to its popularity. If it sucks it floats down to page 3 of the General Forum never to be seen again. Social.

~atp~

TRIBE Member
9rules information structure is delivered to you...you do not control the content. With ONN you do. Also, the relations that tie stories together will make the concept of "popularity" far more tangible than with some sort of "voting" system that most sites employ for determining what gets headlined. b5 media is just a blogging "nexus", and has no real intelligence behind it, nor does it have the ability to collate news together in a meaningful way.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

~atp~

TRIBE Member
Oh for fucks sake. Alright, we all know EyeInTheSky is a spammer, so just avoid his lame little attempts at getting us to visit the URLs he posted. They are lame, after all. ;)

deep

TRIBE Member
LOL at sliding spam for your toronto "social bookmarking" site in alongside digg and delicious. Your chicken little prose is perfectly indicative of the sensationalism that social bookmarking tends to reward.

Personally I'm finding digg to be total crap of late, as it is becoming a great example of the mindlessness of the masses. I think there is some sense to the argument that in an information laden world, advantages in knowledge are not going to be found in what's popular (i.e. the kind of info that social bookmarking tends to push to the front) but rather what is unique (the kind of info that comes from uncommon or an expert's judgment).

~atp~

TRIBE Member
deep said:
LOL at sliding spam for your toronto "social bookmarking" site in alongside digg and delicious. Your chicken little prose is perfectly indicative of the sensationalism that social bookmarking tends to reward.

Personally I'm finding digg to be total crap of late, as it is becoming a great example of the mindlessness of the masses. I think there is some sense to the argument that in an information laden world, advantages in knowledge are not going to be found in what's popular (i.e. the kind of info that social bookmarking tends to push to the front) but rather what is unique (the kind of info that comes from uncommon or an expert's judgment).
word up. The "popularity" phenomenon is not proportional to "worthwhile" on the information scale.

EyeInTheSky

TRIBE Member
~atp~ said:
While the initiatives you linked are nice examples of early efforts at "democratizing" the way information is controlled and distributed to the end user, it unfortunately falls short in many ways in terms of the efficiency of information mining, the control the user has over content, and the ability to create a network that is democratic with respect to the way content is distributed. I can provide you with more detail, but this exact subject is something I have been extremely interested in for quite some time, and myself and a few others have initiated a project called the "omnicentric news network" (ONN for short). While a full explanation would require more time than I can give, its structure resembles something close to a wiki, except with a far more individual-centred approach. Each "user" owns a "page" (or a set of pages) called a "portal". The portal can then be used to branch out and connect to other portals (users)...more specifically, you will be able to create links to other articles or pieces of news through portals and describe those links as being "favourable", "unfavourable", or virtually any other property you would like. Intelligence built into the back end of the system will start to make "suggestions" to you based on how you are connecting to other users, and the end result is a web of interconnected ideas that simultaneously represents what each user wants to see on their own page as well as a democratic representation of the popularity of various ideas, articles, bits of news, etc.

Anyway, it might sound convoluted, but it is quite intuitive if you think of it like a highly enhanced/intelligent wiki.
Hmm sounds interesting. It sounds similar to some of the projects already announced on techcrunch.com. Search for Wiki. However, I would like to learn more. Any Alphas?

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

EyeInTheSky

TRIBE Member
Old Yeller said:
what makes your idea any different than what blog networks like 9rules and b5 media are already doing?
Social bookmarking generally caters to the minimalist. It delivers content in a more organised manner with minimal graphics. It has the ability to link written articles, and other blogs, also forum threads. I understand that linking can be done in other type of websites including this one, but all of these can be voted to the front page in an organised manner.

Traditional Media focuses on articles and news reports delivered from journalists and professional writers, authors, etc. Blogs offer the average joe, the ease of publishing to the web however, they tend to be chaotic in nature, which is likely its beauty. As with the former Tribe Magazine pulling alot of info largely from this forum, Social bookmarking will pull information from ALL of cyberspace organised in a democratic fashion. Now that is power. Power to the masses.

EyeInTheSky

TRIBE Member
mikeryan said:
How is this any different than Tribe? Worthy news makes headlines. Tribers post it. If it's been posted before it's declared a "timeline!" If they like it they make fun of it and add to its popularity. If it sucks it floats down to page 3 of the General Forum never to be seen again. Social.
Again, Social bookmarking generally caters to the minimalist. It delivers content in a more organised manner with minimal graphics. It has the ability to link written articles, and other blogs, also forum threads. I understand that linking can be done in other type of websites including this one, but all of these can be voted to the front page in an organised manner.

Traditional Media focuses on articles and news reports delivered from journalists and professional writers, authors, etc. Blogs offer the average joe, the ease of publishing to the web however, they tend to be chaotic in nature, which is likely its beauty. As with the former Tribe Magazine pulling alot of info largely from this forum, Social bookmarking will pull information from ALL of cyberspace organised in a democratic fashion. Now that is power. Power to the masses.

EyeInTheSky

TRIBE Member
Flashy_McFlash said:
http://www.tribemagazine.com/board/showthread.php?t=115661

this post from g33k might put this one into some context.
That was an honest attempt to get reviewers and testers for the site, cuz it's in BETA. I've been a reader of Tribe since the beginning and I've only launched this site here because I relate to this crowd. I think the tribers here can benefit and relate to the site as well. Notice that there are no ads present, so there is no money in it for anyone. Holy a few threads and I become a spammer. Please a little respect! Thanks.