• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

The Weather Thread!

tobywan

TRIBE Member
Can't remember the last time winter arrived with such a vengeance not just across southern ontario, but in Toronto/GTA. Seems like snow/cold temps haven't really even arrived until after Christmas the past few years.

And just a heads up that there's a serious band of snow over Southern Georgian Bay this morning, slowly making it's way to the GTA just in time for the afternoon rush hour.

Aside from all the driving/safety issues that come with winter, I am simply loving it. Truly embracing what this season has to offer, and picking up a brand new pair of hockey skates this weekend :D

glych t.anomaly

TRIBE Member
I am happy its winter, cant wait to go riding, dont mind the driving ( its fun in my GTI with growly snow tires )

Plus its awesome for photography, overcast diffused light is an amazing tool to work with.

Mondieu

TRIBE Member
It's absolutely gorgeous out. Bundle up and go play in the snow! Got my skates, got my stick, got a sweet rink a block away. The problem isn't the weather. The problem is F$&ktards that refuse to adjust. This is particularly relevant to those behind the wheel. ...but most of those folks can't drive on dry roads in sunshine either.

I'm talking to you, Porsche Cayenne. Take a second to consider your fellow traveller. Maybe let someone in, or don't log-jam that intersection on a yellow. You can afford to pay your nanny $15 for the extra hour, no?

tobywan

TRIBE Member
The problem is F$&ktards that refuse to adjust.
Bingo...and this goes for everyone, regardless of your mode of transport. Saw some brave(stupid?) 10 speed cyclists barely inching their way through the bike lane on richmond near brant, very shakily keeping their balance and lookin' like they're about to wipe out any minute.

Heads up and gear down for a moment, it can certainly help everyone when learning to adjust to winter conditions.

Mondieu

TRIBE Member
Bingo...and this goes for everyone, regardless of your mode of transport.
My friend takes transit. That's an equal shitshow. Hundreds lined up for a bus. Packed in like sardines. A lady with a 2 month old, screaming child. Hungry. Lady obviously can't feed - which is another issue. Everybody needs to get home and many wish that lady and her kid were on another bus. Brutal.

My friend told me she and a few others got distracted by another wee'un. Up in momma's arms, pulling the springy hand-hold thingy - giggling his little arse off.

More of this attitude makes the world a better place. We all have somewhere to be. ...but we're all going wherever we're going together.

Boss Hog

TRIBE Member
I guess not everyone is looking at the same sources as Lawrence Solomon of the Financial Times.

(that's tongue in cheek btw) It took me about 5 seconds of a google search to find out who he is and what his views are... why don't you give that a try?

praktik

TRIBE Member
You're not seeing this everywhere because it's a fringe, outlier view by someone who isn't even practising science. Just an activist of sorts cherry picking data points to keep up a pollyanna routine on global warming science, which happens to also be lucrative for his career as a columnist.

He doesn't offer worthwhile insight into global warming and the climate, paying attention to him is more likely to result in you being misinformed than informed.

Like paying attention to creationists on the science of evolutionary biology - the only difference is there's more money and more broad support for climate change deniers than bible thumping creationists, even if they are birds of a feather

wickedken

TRIBE Member
You're not seeing this everywhere because it's a fringe, outlier view by someone who isn't even practising science. Just an activist of sorts cherry picking data points to keep up a pollyanna routine on global warming science, which happens to also be lucrative for his career as a columnist.

He doesn't offer worthwhile insight into global warming and the climate, paying attention to him is more likely to result in you being misinformed than informed.

Like paying attention to creationists on the science of evolutionary biology - the only difference is there's more money and more broad support for climate change deniers than bible thumping creationists, even if they are birds of a feather
It sounds like you discount this author.

tobywan

TRIBE Member
Well after an unseasonably warm end to december/beginning of january, we are finally going to experience some proper winter temps across southern ontario.

Again, it's all relative (I personally don't find -5 to -10 that cold).

wickedken

TRIBE Member
Well after an unseasonably warm end to december/beginning of january, we are finally going to experience some proper winter temps across southern ontario.

Again, it's all relative (I personally don't find -5 to -10 that cold).
I agree once you get out there it's bearable, although I find myself walking at a quickened pace. I get a good giggle from those articles from the UK whenever temps there get to 0c, where they all freak out.

tobywan

TRIBE Member
It's a chilly one not just across the top half of the continent, but reaching into Texas and Northern Mexico today.

Seeing as it's an arctic airmass clearly coming over the north pole, we can only assume that it's the russians...because we say so! ;) :p