• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

The waxing thread!

skyparty

TRIBE Member
do any ladies here wax themselves?

I've been doing my bikini line forever, but lately the wax is not sticking or something? How long does wax last for before it's considered not good? It's fine for my eyebrows and lip, but my bikini line is not taking to it the last few times. Could be a temp issue? skin issue? any pointers girls?

Persephone

TRIBE Member
i'm a huge fan of waxing over shaving :) it's so much smoother and lasts longer. i recently joined the brazilian club and i love it!! so nice and clean feeling. i don't know if i will ever go back.
super cheap lady at bay and bloor (30$ incl tip) and it's fast too.
who is this super cheap lady at Bay Bloor? I need her contact info stat!

Edit - would accept other recommendations for reasonably priced, professional waxing services in the Bay-Bloor area. Thanks Ladies

Last edited:

rave jedi

TRIBE Member
Just had to laugh after I read this article today: :D

CANOE -- JAM! - Rihanna dishes on awkward bikini wax

November 14, 2010

Rihanna dishes on awkward bikini wax

By WENN.COM

Rihanna. (WENN.COM File Photo)
Rihanna was forced to endure one of the "most awkward" moments of her life during a recent bikini wax when the beautician recognized the Umbrella hitmaker and let her know it.

The singer insists on only being waxed by Russian women who speak no English, but during one visit she was tended to by a young American.

The woman recognized Rihanna immediately and proceeded to chat to her during the intimate procedure - leaving the star squirming throughout the process.

She says, "I went to this wax salon and she recognized me before I took my clothes off and I think she couldn't wait until we were alone and she could ask for an autograph or a picture or something. So I'm lying there and in pain...

"Every time time I get a wax I specify the lady is old and speaks Russian and no English and she was a 25-year-old American and she was basically like, 'I know who you are, you're Rihanna!' I was like 'Awkward!'

"It was probably one of the most awkward moments of my entire life. I just got up and I got outta there and said (to my manager), 'Don't ever bring me back here! I told you, old and Russian!'"

r6bikerchick

TRIBE Member
Was just in the thread in the guys forum about getting rid of back hair. I didn't want to say anything in there, out of sensitivity, but oh my god, ew! I'm SO glad my guy has a hair-free back! Just reading "tufts" of hair made me want to gag.
EW. But, hey, at least they're trying to take care of it. I don't know how I lucked out and got my nearly hairless guy. It takes him over two full weeks to even grow a patchy goatee (and no, he is NOT 14!). And yet other ladies love the man-beasts. Since body hair has to do with pheromones, I wonder if the ABSENCE of body hair on my guy was something that subconsciously made me attraced to him before I even saw him with his shirt off?

Are you making sure your skin is completely dry when you wax? Try baby powder maybe.
So, for your at-homers, what is the best waxing product/kit to use? I used to go get brazilians on a regular (4-5 weeks) basis, but found them to be cost-prohibitive, and then I moved and I haven't researched a good waxer here in my new city. I've never bothered with waxing my legs - shaving does the trick and I can handle going almost a week. Armpits are so fast and shaving is so easy that I can't imagine EVER having hot wax poured there.

Long story short, I got the Nair at-home Divine Wax kit and attempted to do my eyebrows/lip. It sorta worked, but the mess and the $10.99 price tag (mind you, I'll be able to use the kit many times before the wax runs out, although I'm a bit leery about re-using the applicator) made me think that going to see a pro, especially for this small amount of facial waxing, is money much better spent.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

Metal Morphosis

TRIBE Member
So, for your at-homers, what is the best waxing product/kit to use?
I have pretty good luck with the Parisa brand. I've used their wax and their sugar - I've found they both work the same but the sugar is much easier to clean up / clean off. I can usually wax my legs (to just above the knee) and my bikini area twice with one kit.

ravinjunkie

TRIBE Member
if anyone in the west burbs is looking for someone, I highly recommend shellysbeautyservices.co! Extremely professional and creates a relaxing experience for you.

Last edited:

Persephone

TRIBE Member
So, for your at-homers, what is the best waxing product/kit to use?
For at home, I tend to stay away from wax that needs to be heated. Its tricky to get the wax to exactly the right temperature from a microwave, and to maintain that heat level. I've tried the no strip wax, and I found it really tricky to use a pain in the ass really with limited success (lots of breakage, missed hairs). Sugars should not be applied and removed like wax, so I wouldn't even buy into that option. Ultimately, I end up using pre-waxed strips for at home to eliminate the hassle of heating and clean-up, even though these are less economical. I actually ended up trying the Andrea brand facial strips and have had great success with them; good adhesion, I was able to pull out many hairs from the root instead of breaking them. I think you get 24 strips for $6.99.

r6bikerchick

TRIBE Member
For at home, I tend to stay away from wax that needs to be heated. Its tricky to get the wax to exactly the right temperature from a microwave, and to maintain that heat level. I've tried the no strip wax, and I found it really tricky to use a pain in the ass really with limited success (lots of breakage, missed hairs). Sugars should not be applied and removed like wax, so I wouldn't even buy into that option. Ultimately, I end up using pre-waxed strips for at home to eliminate the hassle of heating and clean-up, even though these are less economical. I actually ended up trying the Andrea brand facial strips and have had great success with them; good adhesion, I was able to pull out many hairs from the root instead of breaking them. I think you get 24 strips for $6.99.

Sweet - no more melted wax in my microwave and all over my bathroom counter. I found that when I pulled the applicator out of the container, it would create these long threads of wax that just woulnd't break and it made a MESS!

Persephone

TRIBE Member
^yup. I looked into buying one of those wax heaters that estheticians use, but they're expensive! like $150 if I recall correctly.

deevah

TRIBE Member
I took the plunge and bought my own set up for home. They have mini wax warmers for $60-80 and each pot of wax is $20-25. I hate muslin, it pills and shreds so I buy rolls of the woven stuff and can cut it to any size that I want. 1 btl of wax remover lasts forever. For applicators, I went to the dollar store and got a massive bag of popsicle sticks for $1.

1 pot of wax lasts 8-10 brazilians, 3-4 if I'm doing brazilian and full leg.

I use Gigi wax, they have a multitude of varieties but I just stick to the all purpose honey wax. You can warm a pot of sugar in there too if that's your choice. A gf of mine swears by the hard wax which I hate (my hair is too thick/tough for it).

Yes you have to have some balls to wax yourself down there and it's a little awkward at first but I can do it whenever and in the long run, it's much cheaper. It's easier to do touch ups that to tackle a full bush. A big mirror is useful as is flexibility; think about it as "working your core". Throw down an old towel and try not to spill the wax (i spilled a full pot once, ugh).

The temperature on a warmer is easy, it's not as temperamental as nuking. Takes about 30-40 min to get a full pot of wax to the right temp, less as the gets empty. 30-40 min if I've got to weed whack, 15 min for a touch up. Armpits take 3 min. Legs are a little longer.

If you've been to a professional to get waxed, you know the basics of how to do it. Practice makes for quick hands, practice tearing off with your left hand, makes it easier.

deevah

TRIBE Member

I have this warmer, the site I pulled the pic from sells it for $80.

And you'll want a pkg of clean collars to go around the pot of wax:

A few bucks gets you a pkg of 10.

Sally's beauty supply is in my area and they're cheap.

lucky1

TRIBE Member
Sugars should not be applied and removed like wax, so I wouldn't even buy into that option..
What do you mean?

In the summer I buy the at home sugar kit, heat in the microwave, apply like wax and remove with the strip. It works fine. And cleans up with warm water, unlike wax, where you need to use baby oil. I forget what brand but I get the "sensitive" one and it is green. Maybe anrdrea?

In the winter I find it hard to keep the wax hot enough from the microwave (it cools off tofast and goes on to thick) so I buy whatever wax strips are on sale. I find the new Nair ones when you use them u have to remove them slower then most waxing or else the wax stays on your skin and not on the strip.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Metal Morphosis

TRIBE Member
What do you mean?

In the summer I buy the at home sugar kit, heat in the microwave, apply like wax and remove with the strip. It works fine. And cleans up with warm water, unlike wax, where you need to use baby oil.
yes, please explain.
like lucky1, i've had good luck using a home sugar kit by applying it the same way that I do the wax kit (as i stated, i use parissa though).

Persephone

TRIBE Member
Maybe its just my hair, but I found it did not get everything. Although, it didn't break hairs, it just left them behind fully intact.

lucky1

TRIBE Member
could maybe be the temperature of the sugar? When I tried the sugar when it was colder weather, it didn't stay hot enough so it wouldn't stick to the the strip and take the hair off! Or it would be to thick and not spread thin enough! I tried a few times and now prefer the preglued strips in winter! I agree the parissa ones are one of the best ones.

sk8

TRIBE Member
Brazilian, I like it at first, but around the one week mark (remember what I said about the importance of exfoliating!) it starts to come back and I dont like the look of partially regrown so I stick to my Remington bikini trimmer set on '1'.
tell me more about this trimmer thing please! Would it replace shaving/waxing?

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

sk8

TRIBE Member
hmmmm... so you'd still need to shave the "outside the bathing suit" areas though? Are those things expensive? I'm basically a slacker when it comes to these things.

Metal Morphosis

TRIBE Member
I've never been to The Ten Spot (1402 Queen St. E) but today (Dec 3rd) Groupon is offering a Brazilian for $25 - Link Here: Groupon
Regular price is $55 so it's a great deal!

skyparty

TRIBE Member

I have this warmer, the site I pulled the pic from sells it for $80.

And you'll want a pkg of clean collars to go around the pot of wax:

A few bucks gets you a pkg of 10.

Sally's beauty supply is in my area and they're cheap.
i have this one and LOVE IT!!!!

I haven't paid for waxing in almost 6 years.

Booty Bits

TRIBE Member
hey ladies, does anyone know of a good place for bikini waxes in the queen/university area or near yonge/st clair?

also, i have never gotten waxed except for a very traumatizing home waxing experience in my teens - lol
can you recommend what to take for pain? do you usually take an advil or something before you go?

mingster

TRIBE Member
i usually take two advil about 20 minutes before i go in.

i've never been but i have friends who love the Dove Spa at yonge and st clair.