• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

The waxing thread!

sk8

TRIBE Member
I don't know if there is a sugaring place here though - and I have a coupon for 50% off at a waxing place near me.

lucky1

TRIBE Member
If you have sensitive skin and don't wax that much I would do it two or three days ahead, or else you could have reddish bumps.

I wax my legs and body and i have zero issues. Eyebrows or face I've had allergic reactions, and burn type reactions (where the first layer of skin plus hair comes off) so I would not put wax my face. I would sugar or thread it instead.

sk8

TRIBE Member
I've made the appointment for thursday morning. We leave Friday afternoon but won't be in warm weather until Sunday - so that should be OK for redness to go down right?

I've waxed legs and bikini before, but a long time ago so I have very little recollection of the details. How long will it last? 2-3 weeks?

I do face stuff on my own though, and don't react to it (just those little strips - so not hot).

I couldn't find any sugaring places listed here.

She reccommended doing underarms too - is that a good plan?

mariazmess

TRIBE Member
under arms are too easy to shave. bikini lines are way more difficult, which is why we go through the torture of waxing/sugaring.

How long it lasts depends on how fast your hair grows and how dark it grows... I find I get (some) growth after a week.

Sugaring places are tough to find. I only know of Sugar Moon downtown, but that's not useful for you!

lucky1

TRIBE Member
I tried to wax my 'pits once (maybe twice) it was so freaking painful, and the hair growths in all different directions so hardly any hair came out! Will never do again, not to mention the thought of growing it in for three or four weeks to get it long enough! I use the razor with the soap thing around the blade (built in foam) and shave every few days even on vacation.

legs for me:
  • the first week there is no hair legs feel smooth!
  • After two weeks I get this stage where I can feel stuble but it is still below the skin (you need to exfoliate at this stage to prevent in grown hairs).
  • after three weeks some hair showing, but it is fine, patchy, not very noticeable.
  • after 4-5 weeks hair is long enough to wax again.

Metal Morphosis

TRIBE Member
i'm going for my first laser treatment in March. i bought a Groupon for $200 at the suggestion of a friend who's been doing it and is happy with the results.
can't wait to be done with waxing/sugaring FOREVER!

sk8

TRIBE Member
All waxed up and ready to go!

The girl was super nice, we chatted about hockey (she plays too). Didn't hurt nearly as much as I remembered it would from last time. I would definitely go back there, even without a coupon.

Thanks for the advice everyone.

Bacchus

TRIBE Promoter
My GF wants to get a brazillian for our upcomming trip to the DR.

She wants to do it to please/excite me - but i feel like she's going to hold resentment after the treatment.

ravinjunkie

TRIBE Member
My GF wants to get a brazillian for our upcomming trip to the DR.

She wants to do it to please/excite me - but i feel like she's going to hold resentment after the treatment.
dude really? piss off already.
She need to research this shit herself.

Hawk Eye

TRIBE Member
Brazillian's hurt like a motherfucker. You almost would have to peel me from the ceiling. I dont think i'll get them done again.. I can't go through the pain. I've had it done 5+ times.. I used to do it all the time when I had a boyfriend but from now on.. i'm going to get a brazillian if he gets one hahaha... I think i'll just stick with the bikini wax from now on.. ;)

I'm going to Florida again beginning of April and I'll be in my bathing suit for most of the time.

What exactly is sugaring?

ravinjunkie

TRIBE Member
Omg ladies, if you get a Brazilian done, and she asks if you want aloe vera on afterwards, say no! IT BURNS, J was chuckling at me, because I had to put an ice pack, while standing up.

Metal Morphosis

TRIBE Member
anyone watching ANTM guys vs girls ?
hilarious 'manscaping' during the makeover episode.

anyway - i digress.
i've been doing laser treatments to my underarms, bikini & lower leg and am LOVING IT.
i've had 3 sessions (you go every 6-8 weeks) and i have my fourth session in a few weeks. there's very little hair growth in the treated areas. so pleased with the results.
it's not painless, but it's a lot faster than waxing/sugaring AND i bought it on a groupon (only $200 + tax) so it'll be way more cost effective in the long run.

ravinjunkie

TRIBE Member
It depends on your hairgrowth, I've been doing laser on my underarms for a while and it has only reduced. I believe bikini does work better, because it is thicker hair growth.