1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

The Walking Dead - Series

Discussion in 'TRIBE Main Forum' started by glych t.anomaly, Aug 25, 2010.

1. glych t.anomaly

glych t.anomaly TRIBE Member

couldnt find a thread about this....

decent trailer, thought this was a movie at first, then realized it was going to be a TV series.

im not usually that into Zombie films, unless its Sean of the Dead, but this has piqued my interest, as with any good series, the ability to develop characters and plot is so much more viable.

anyone else seen this yet?

[jai]

2. ndrwrld

ndrwrld TRIBE Member

3. Eclectic

Eclectic TRIBE Member

If they follow the comics, be prepared for some really disturbing scenes...

4. Brandon

Brandon TRIBE Member

Indeed!

5. glych t.anomaly

thanks for the link , i was sure i had seen it, but my search results came up with nothing.

i havent read the comics, and im almost tempted not to, so in essence there will be no Spoilers, if the adaptation stays true.

thanks for the input.

[jai]

6. alison87

alison87 TRIBE Member

I read the comics up to book 4 or 5 when i found the stories getting a bit same-y. Hopefully the show will move the story along a bit faster. The trailer is definitely awesome.

7. Klubmasta Will

Klubmasta Will TRIBE Member

i love the comic book, but am not too keen on the idea of this television show.

some things (such as alan moore's graphic novels) should remain in their original format, as the movies have all been pale imitations. ditto for the works of garth ennis and robert kirkman.

their writing makes for brilliant graphic novels, but would not, in my opinion, translate well to the big or small screen.

8. Spinsah

Spinsah TRIBE Member

I really like the Walking Dead books but wouldn't put them in the category as Alan Moore. I feel that they are more portable to the screen and that AMC is the perfect home for the series as they do allow so much creative control. The success of this show depends on constantly ratcheting up the depravity, and that may prove to be challenging for AMC as they do have to abide by different standards than HBO or Showtime.

9. Klubmasta Will

Klubmasta Will TRIBE Member

^ not same category as moore, but equally inappropriate for the screen.

INVINCIBLE has a heavy emphasis on humour that works well in the book but i would expect not so well on screen.

what makes THE WALKING DEAD excellent is the storytelling fashion, through amazingly powerful still images (facial expressions, shading, et al.). based on that trailor, which included scenes that i recognize from the book, that *feeling* will not be recreated at nearly the same level on screen.

i hope i am wrong, but i suspect this will be another case of an outstanding comic book being reduced to a mediocre video retelling.

10. Eclectic

Eclectic TRIBE Member

Spoiler if you haven't read the first volume of the comic:

[spoil]It looks like Glenn isn't in the show as it shows Rick in Atlanta talking to the group with his wife by radio rather than running into Glenn in town and needing his help to escape. Also I don't remember Rick climbing into a tank to avoid the zombies.[/spoil]

So things aren't going to be *exactly* like the comic it seems.

11. tripleup

tripleup TRIBE Member

12. lobo

lobo TRIBE Member

Video resolution is tiny making it look blocky when fullscreen. I might just wait for the HD version to come out the day after it's released.

Lobo

13. glych t.anomaly

im def waiting.

[jai]

14. Eclectic

Eclectic TRIBE Member

I'm waiting to see it on TV.

15. That was really, really good. I like what they've done with the story (deviating slightly from the comic) and Darabont really has a great feel for the genre and the material.

I really like what he did with The Mist a few years back, and considering the nihilistic streak that it had, he could really pull this off nicely.

It's a shame there's only six episodes this season.

16. glych t.anomaly

awesome, cant wait to see it :)

[jai]

17. Also, a really, really well made fan made opening title sequence (better than what they're using right now):

18. Eclectic

Eclectic TRIBE Member

Not liking the zombies compared to how they're portrayed in the comics.

Somehow creepier in print.

Decent first episode though, hoping they don't pull a True Blood and venture too far from the source material.

19. basketballjones

basketballjones TRIBE Member

first ep was alright
    but seriously, needing to be told the undead are walking again after seeing one is kind of lame, then having a fuckin gas can but not taking more gas, then riding a horse
    gimme a break

having to keep quiet or they will find you then opening up a shooting gallery and them not going straight towards the sound also lame, hope this turns out better then the event...

20. Colm

Colm TRIBE Member

True Blood > The Adventures of Sookie Stackhouse

I like the fan made trailer, but its all Tony Moore's stuff! nostalgia +1

21. DJ Vuvu Zela

DJ Vuvu Zela TRIBE Member

he couldn't take more gas, because the station was out of gas. hence the sign, and the virtual parking lot around the gas station.

as for the gun shots, it attracts the zombies to the area, but i don't think they're intelligent enough to understand that something inside a house from the 2nd floor is firing on them.

I thought it was really well done. I'm sure it'll only get better once the characters are fleshed out more. Black dad was the highlight of the show.

22. DJ_Science

DJ_Science TRIBE Member

That and in that kind of situation I think you would want a mode of travel that doesn't leave you exposed looking for gas every day.

23. acheron

acheron TRIBE Member

Some will be more fleshed out than others...

24. basketballjones

basketballjones TRIBE Member

you have never siphoned gas before?
    any noise will attract them as the black dad said when he shot the one zombie
    i never read the graphic novels so i have no idea about this story, but im pretty sure everyone and their dog knows the score about zombies and would make sure they had lots of gas if they choose a car as their mode of travel
    i know i wouldnt choose a moving buffet as my mode of travel

25. Eclectic

Eclectic TRIBE Member

His goal was to get to Atlanta because he thought the city would be safe.
    He's only seen his home town and obviously doesn't know how bad the world is if he didn't gas up before leaving.
    His only concern right now is getting to Lori and Carl.