• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

The Video Game News

wickedken

TRIBE Member
So I'm playing Black Ops 3 and.... I'm still getting used to it. Been used to it being a WW2 type of thing and going into the future feels different. That and a different production company did this version so it has a different feel to the game mechanics. Still just starting though but overall I'm not being pulled into the story. Haven't tried zombies yet.

Last edited:
Black Ops 3 is pretty fast going as far as multiplayer gameplay goes. I've really enjoyed the other installments of the Black Ops series (2 in particular). Ghosts and Advanced Warfare (the previous two games) were pretty disappointing.

I'm not very amused by the microtransactions that they're trying to push lately, particularly when it comes to in game weapons.

StarvinMarvin

TRIBE Member
traded in Black Ops not fun solo mission online play and didn't know a lot of people playing it most were playing battlefield which I was never a big fan of..

not it's all Street Fighter 5 all dee time....fun as hell even if the game like many others is released buggy and incomplete

praktik

TRIBE Member
Anyone else grab the Elite controller?

Picked mine up this week but going to take a week of offline play for FIFA as I found I am not fully calibrated to the greater sensitivity of the sticks and need to just practise a bit on pass/shot accuracy.

Got destroyed online as I would miss a key pass and concede a goal or lose an opportunity for one myself!

But ya controller is AWESOME - and feels so great in the hand...

praktik

TRIBE Member
high quality materials = high cost

i was ready for something better too being a bit frustrated with the base 360 or xbox one models (xbox one > 360 but the shoulder bumpers are shit) - so many exchanges on the extended warranties @ The Source!

StarvinMarvin

TRIBE Member
high quality materials = high cost

i was ready for something better too being a bit frustrated with the base 360 or xbox one models (xbox one > 360 but the shoulder bumpers are shit) - so many exchanges on the extended warranties @ The Source!
I don't trust that I wouldn't break one of these controllers as well lol :)

I spend the big $$ of fight sticks (see below) for SFV which by the way is amazing this version of the game is so much easier to pick up and play for new comers but it will take a lot of time to master it for sure, since I am middle of the road I am having a blast.

StarvinMarvin

TRIBE Member
if anyone is interested in a SFV fight stick my buddy is selling one(pic in last post) brand new in box for $300...regular is $349.99 plus tax and shipping DM me if interested I can send you a link

wickedken

TRIBE Member
Getting more into Black Ops 3... I think the solo missions are... shallow. It's fun however playing with the player abilities, like "hacking" and other powers. Definitely a fast-moving game, and waiting for my buddies to pick it up so I can give multiplayer and zombies a turn.

I'm a fan of the Far Cry series, but passed on 4 and the sequel, but picked up Far Cry Primal as its completely different. You're a primitive, "primal" caveman 10000 BC. Just starting it so I'll let you know how it goes... feels pretty good so far.

wickedken

TRIBE Member
I don't remember what year it was, but it was in the early days of PCs. I had 8 MB of RAM, and I think it was a 486-class AMD, I think... There was a turbo button.

My buddies came over with a stack of floppies, and we spent the good part of an evening trying to figure out how the unarj program worked! we were such newbies to anything computer related. Then the memory options for DOS in autoexec.bat. Finally, got Doom running!

Picked it up for PS4 and gave it a spin, feels great so far but just started.

silver1

TRIBE Member
I remember back in my early PC days in the early 90s when I knew enough to be dangerous (and stupid).

I'd use the mem command in DOS to see what was using up memory so I could kill what I thought to be unnecessary and try squeeze every last byte of memory to play games that needed more.

So I saw that command.com was eating up quite a bit or memory that I thought I could claw back and I deleted it....... :p

wickedken

TRIBE Member
I remember back in my early PC days in the early 90s when I knew enough to be dangerous (and stupid).

I'd use the mem command in DOS to see what was using up memory so I could kill what I thought to be unnecessary and try squeeze every last byte of memory to play games that needed more.

So I saw that command.com was eating up quite a bit or memory that I thought I could claw back and I deleted it....... :p
Oh yeah.. :) RAM was precious back then, think more than its weight in gold. Didn't disabling IRQ settings make a difference? It's been so long and here I am with an 8 GB machine I'm still closing all the programs I'm not using.

So I've played 3 levels of Doom so far and... it's awesome!++

Movement is fluid, levels are beautiful and well constructed, you feel like you are on a space colony with the same cold steel/spaceship corridor thing. You have fire and gas and water effects, player and weapon power ups done in a smart manner, creatures that look/feel/react naturally and you have a chance in hell of beating, yeah this is good. For example, the Imp, you can see it holding back for a fireball, it comes, and the timing is such you options to counteract. The levels, there are indoor and outdoor (martian surface) levels, and they've got that Doom-look or inside a space station, with piping and metal grates. I turn the music off so it feels ultra creepy going around and there are these things running around, but I've only got it on the medium setting as I know the higher ones I won't survive. Need I say it looks great on the PS4? Recommend.

JamesM

TRIBE Member

EMS Memory. DOS UMB. yes guy.

JamesM

TRIBE Member
I learned with wayne gretzky hockey. You can get the real like genesis view, if you configured your EMS memory right at the time. My grandpa actually poured through docs, and gave me the right configuration to make that happen.

Man we were nerds back then.

DOS Push to EMS.

praktik

TRIBE Member
ah yes - autoexec.bat and config.sys - the twin demons of ancient computing.

I also had to load a Sound Blaster patch into memory, constraining me even more - because I had a Gravis Ultrasound which sounded AWESOME, but because everything was geared to Creative Labs had to simulate a Soundblaster driver to get it to work.

This meant a bit more room I needed to make for this extra element!

glych t.anomaly

TRIBE Member
Games making me happy right now.

Overwatch - Fuck this game was goddamn fun as shit, and absolutely kills it for my PvP needs.

Ori and the Blind Forest - 2D Sidescroller, so much fun, beautifully crafted, amazing music score, so worth it.

Dishonored - Decided to finally give this a shot, and man it does not disappoint !

Doom - might get it when its price drops on steam, friend was playing and i was spectating and it was pretty fucking awesome , made me want to jump in. I might pay full price, but ill wait till all my travelling over the next few weeks is done.

JamesM

TRIBE Member
ah yes - autoexec.bat and config.sys - the twin demons of ancient computing.

I also had to load a Sound Blaster patch into memory, constraining me even more - because I had a Gravis Ultrasound which sounded AWESOME, but because everything was geared to Creative Labs had to simulate a Soundblaster driver to get it to work.

This meant a bit more room I needed to make for this extra element!
Yeah my buddy had the Gravis Ultrasound. I had the soundblaster. We bickered back and forth forever about which card was better.

The Gravis was a wicked card. But it had to use it's soundbank to get the full effect. Ahead of it's time for practical uses.