• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

The Video Game News

d.code

TRIBE Member
Ok kids! I dont play as many games as I used to- but video game news is addicting. I keep on that shit like my country depended on it.

So here is a thread for all those random tidbits of collected news!

Ill start us off.

EA IS IN THE RED

Im proud of those boys. They took a failing company, jammed a good CEO in the head chair, and then WHAM- good new IP's and pretty decent games started flowing out of them.

Electronic Arts reported a third quarter loss of $641 million -- significantly wider than its $33 million loss in the same period last year.

Most of the loss, the publisher says, is attributable to various business charges. EA's revenue actually increased about 10 percent year over year to $1.65 billion, plus $88 million in deferred revenue from online games -- but the gains still did not meet analysts' expectations.

The widening losses are prompting EA to expand its restructuring efforts slightly, however. With the company's results announcement today, EA said it now plans to lay off 11 percent of its workforce, or 1,100 employees, and to close 12 of its facilities. On the company's call to investors, it said these closures would favor "high-cost" locations.
Shitty!

Some good news from them though- DEAP SPACE is getting the Wii treatment. Along with DEAD RISING: Chop til you Drop this makes me happy as I only have a Wii and access to a PS3 at work (which ive been happy playing warhawk on for awhile now).

elektrofunk

TRIBE Member
looks like you can quash the rumours of Red Dead, being the infamous PS3 exclusive franchise rockstar is "working" on. Release date annouced for multiplatform.

EA announces Mass Effect 2 as "multiplatform" q4 2009 (crosses fingers hoping they mean PS3 in that). But if not I'll get the 360 version.

d.code

TRIBE Member
I finally got around to playing Mass Effect on the PC and was pretty impressed with it. Game has great design and story and looks really nice.

Mass Effect 2 makes me happy.

Colm

TRIBE Member
Ubisofts uber-cryptic game 'I Am Alive' is delayed.

And the new Elder Scrolls is apparently set to come out in 2010 - calendar year, not fiscal. Woo!

Re: SW Battlefront 3. Free Radical only sold parts of the games - they kept the coolest new stuff like being able to land your x-wing/tie fighter in real time to swap between ground and air battles. I don't think we'll be seeing it for some time.

Last edited:

Colm

TRIBE Member
betcha it is! The guys who made the first one aren't working on the second - thems who made the ps3 port are.

I like Bioshock and all, but a sequel? Where/what are they going to do with the story?

d.code

TRIBE Member
If im not mistaking- the writers who did the first bio shock laid out a TEN game script.

The next bio shock is apparently going to be jumping around between prequal/sequal turf.

Colm

TRIBE Member
Another Burnout patch released:

I'm continually impressed by the amount of post-release care Criterion has put into Burnout Paradise. This latest update seems to pave the way for the implementation of the upcoming expansions:

Criterion said:
The full list of additions in the patch below;

In-Game Browser Site (PC and PS3-only)

The first change PS3 and PC-players will notice is that we’re now using an in-game browser to bring you something we’re calling the Criterion Games Network. More on this next week! (Players on all platforms can enjoy the rest of the features listed on this page.)

In-Game Store

The next major addition is our in-game store. You’ll be able to easily buy new content, like the Party Pack, without leaving the comfort of Burnout Paradise. Just head for either the Main Menu or the Easydrive Menu. We’ll add the Legendary Cars, Boost Specials, Toy Cars, Island and more (!), as they become available.

Vehicle dynamics overhaul

The vehicle handling has undergone it’s most substantial overhaul since Burnout Paradise was first released. We’ve tweaked the handling on the first available cars, like the Hunter Cavalry, to make the game easier and more accessible.

These cars are now slower, harder to crash and less likely to spin out at low speeds. This’ll help any newcomers get into the game, but it also delivers greater variety between the early cars to the faster, more challenging later ones.

Burnout Paradise – easy to play but hard to master!

We’ve changed the way we display the performance of the cars in the junkyard. You can now easily compare cars and see that with the rebalanced handling, they’re more varied across the whole range. Again, we’re aiming for a more fun and accessible experience. And on the subject of the junkyard, you can now filter what you see there. Pick between cars or bikes and when our Legendary Cars, Toy Cars and Boost Specials arrive in the near future they’ll also be easier to pick out.

Stunt Run Timer Reinvented

Fans of Stunt Run will now appreciate that the countdown timer now starts to count down more slowly. If you’ve never played before, it’ll be easier to pick up. For experts, it’ll counts down faster depending on how many multipliers you’ve earned.

Rebalanced Events

We’ve modified the difficulty of all events. The speeds of the rival cars and Burning Route times have been changed to accommodate new car speeds.

Road Rage Tweaked

We’ve changed the way the timer works in Road Rage– you no longer get time added when you’ve hit the target number of cars. This means the game has a clearer end point and restricts crazy scores to later Road Rages, making it more challenging for experts – see if you can reach 100+ now! It’s been streamlined.

Vibrant Visuals

Paradise City is filled with a whole world of objects waiting to be discovered. We wanted to make it a little easier to spot them, so we’ve modified the colours of the Billboards (red) and Smashes (yellow) and Super Jumps (blue). They also now pulse for added visibility.

We’ve also overhauled the lighting to bring you more vibrant visuals. We wanted to make it easier to see at night and give everything a more vibrant feel with brighter, more saturated Burnout color.

Restart is in

You ask – we deliver. Restart is in! You can now quit or fail an event and choose to restart it.

You’ll be transferred to the start location ready for action. We’ve always enjoyed the feeling of freedom that Paradise City’s open world delivers, but we appreciate that as you run low on events towards the end of the game, you can spend a little too long in transit.

Barrel Rolls for Beginners

And last but not least, we’ve transformed the way barrel rolls work in Burnout Paradise. Hit a split-ramp and barrel rolls now automatically right themselves. It means new players can pull off flash moves immediately, but nothing changes for all you experts out there. You can still risk multiple rolls by steering into the roll.

Flashy_McFlash

Well-Known TRIBEr
Restart!!!! Finally!

And being able to actually see at night is a nice bonus, heh.

God, I love this game. It's rapidly turning into one of my all-time favourites.

Colm

TRIBE Member
I guess it wasn't a free update after all. tbh, I wasn't that impressed with the Party Pack. $10 for some pretty run of the mill changes is weak, even after all the free DLC they've provided. I'll pay for the new islands and cars, but not for minor changes to the way the races work.

Flashy_McFlash

Well-Known TRIBEr
So wait, does the party pack update include restart and the graphics/handling tweaks?

I didn't actually play Burnout this morning, only set it up to update. It was a pretty freaking small update for $10 though.

d.code

TRIBE Member
done the killzone 2 demo a few times now. Its a pretty rad game.
The controls are chunky but very appropriate. Aiming and such is easy- but you really feel like you are soldier strapped up with tons of gear. The graphics in this game are fucking breath taking. Possibly the best graphics I have seen in a long long time. Tis a shame i wont have access to this PS3 for much longer.

Colm

TRIBE Member
done the killzone 2 demo a few times now. Its a pretty rad game.
The controls are chunky but very appropriate. Aiming and such is easy- but you really feel like you are soldier strapped up with tons of gear. The graphics in this game are fucking breath taking. Possibly the best graphics I have seen in a long long time. Tis a shame i wont have access to this PS3 for much longer.
I was amazed it actually delivered. I think I was, along with lots of other people, half expecting another Haze/Lair/Too Human debacle.

Flashy_McFlash

Well-Known TRIBEr
Ok, I just got excited about this new Wolverine game (based on the movie)

What Should Stay The Same
The grotesque violence. Seriously. I wasn't the only person there that was stunned at the amount of sheer brutality in this game. Normally, we don't really see Wolverine hack and slash people to pieces, usually just a punch to the gut with little to no blood. The opening CGI movie and the following gameplay, however, were almost disturbing. The Activision rep proclaimed this to be the way fans wanted to see Wolverine. Well, you guys got your wish. Prepare for a bloodbath!

I also loved the leaping control. Being able to jump on an on-coming enemy and immediately start stabbing their guts felt very satisfying every time.

Final Thoughts

This game has as much over-the-top violence as something like MadWorld. Wolverine uppercuts heads off torsos, jams enemies into the blades of helicopters. and even throws bodies onto spikes coming out of the floor. I know most movie-licensed games aren't very good, but this could one game that everyone will be talking about, even if it's because of the violence.

Colm

TRIBE Member
The violence in the upcoming Watchmen games looks as brutal as Wolverine, although with less gore.

EA refuses to clarify what Mass Effect 2's 'multi-format' release means (I think it means PC/360 or that the legal ownership of the Mass Effect license is a bit nebulous).

Burnout's getting the po'po!