• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

The Verve @ Ricoh Colisseum

mandapanda

TRIBE Member
well, i'm too hyper to go to sleep even though i have to be up in 6 hours, so what better way to put off going to sleep than to write a review?

that was the best concert i've ever been to, bar none. you know when you hype something up to yourself and it can never meet your expectations? i was kinda worried that that would happen tonight, especially holding them in such high esteem and having waited so long to finally see them, but no such luck. i had this stupid grin on my face the whole time. best 70-something dollars i've ever spent! i could go on and on about how much this band means to me but i'd sound like even more of a raving lunatic than i already do, so i won't. :p they sound AMAZING live...richard's voice sounds better than ever, i've always thought they had an insane rythm section and that nick mccabe is some sort of genius, but i realized all of this again tonight. and you know how i go on about how i don't really like urban hymns? well, i may have gained a newfound appreciation for it, as those songs sounded immense last night.

i got inside around 8:20 and the dj (wayne griggs?) was playing stuff that i very much enjoyed and would like to listen to more of! there weren't that many people there yet, so i was probably about 8 rows back, in front of nick. the verve came on shortly after 9 and finished at 11. richard doesn't have the frightening blonde hair anymore, but does seem to have a penchant for wearing his shirt unbuttoned very low as of late. i absolutely adore simon, he was so into it and so entertaining to watch, bouncing around everywhere and singing the lyrics at the crowd. they all honestly seemed super happy to be back together and making music again. nick and simon were all hugging and kissing at the end, it was cute.

Setlist (not sure about the order):

A new decade
Sonnet
This is Music
The Rolling People
Life's an Ocean
Already There
Weeping Willow
History
DDW
Sit n Wonder
Lucky Man
Velvet Morning
Come on

Encore -----> Nick came back with a Toronto FC shirt on, bless him.
BSS->
Love is Noise

as much as i wanted to hear all of ASIH, i knew it wouldn't happen, so all in all, i feel it was a pretty good mix of old and new, although a little short on the old, but i can't really complain (although NY got "man called sun" and "gravity grave" so maybe i will complain!). i had tears running down my face during "already there" (cos that is one of my absolute favourite songs in the history of the universe ever) and i was like "dude am i going to have some sort of embarassing emotional breakdown in front of all these people"? but that song is so amazing. "life's an ocean" was fabulous...i love how they don't sound exactly like the album when they play live. the new stuff sounds great - i think "sit and wonder" is what came out of the thaw session they released a while ago - love it. "love is noise" has single written all over it to me - richard walked off at the end before they were finished playing and nick and simon kept on jamming for a few more minutes and there was just feedback galore - beautiful! <3 richard dedicated "lucky man" to kate radley. hmmmm...what else? i took some pics on my crappy phone during DDW so if they don't look too blurry, i'll post them later.

yay!!!!!! :D

exrboy

TRIBE Promoter
Dang. Sounds like a great show. I would have preferred a different setlist though. I stayed home and watched the Red Wings dominate so the night was not a waste ;)

billy

TRIBE Member
tee hee. as i rode home on the subway i was thinking about what mandapanda would post.

i'm not an uber fan like her, but i really enjoyed the show. richard ashcroft (or "ricky" or "rich" as some of the crowd called out) is a great singer. his live voice is as strong as the albums. some bands have trouble creating the same magic they do in the studio, but this band does not.

imho, simon really stole the show. he came out wearing a TFC scarf (who were playing near by) and tossed it into the crowd. we were on the right side of the floor, on his side and his constant arm raising and singing along really pumped us up. he even ended the show after a long feedback session with a bottle of jager in hand!!

my favourite song of the show was "come on". they tore the roof off for that one. just brilliant. ya, the setlist was primarily from urban hymms but that was a bit expected.

i also really liked "love is noise" which is one of the new tracks and they closed the show with it.

we had a bit of a laugh when richard rambled on about opening up for the who at glastobury. not sure where he was going with that. another fun point was when they mimicked the stone roses "fools gold" before one of the songs with the comment "3 cheers for the stone roses" before they continued.

our crew had a good time. we had a couple party chicks in front of us (who felt bringing back packs to a show was a good idea). one of them was good times but the other was laughable. before "the rolling people" was announced, she turns to me and goes "did he just say he was fooling people?"

uh, no sunshine. rolling people. it's one of their songs.

edit: richard with the hair cut and minus the silly blonde hair dye plus the open shirt makes him look much younger than he is. i too have some shitty mobile phone pics. i'll see how they turn out.

billy

TRIBE Member
eek. not even picassa could save the shitty pics i took on my mobile. sorry guys. i really should have brought my camera. for those going to future shows at ricoh take note - they don't frisk you for anything. bring your real camera. for what it's worth....here are some low-fi pics from my phone. :(

again..sorry. :(

Last edited:

sianspherica

TRIBE Member
pretty good show

crowd was kind of lame, the energy there never really got going. at least on the floors.

Already There, Come On and The Drugs Don't Work...were my favorites of the night. Wish they had touched on a bit more of the Storm In Heaven stuff because hey...its 15 years old. Bittersweet was good but felt a bit anti-climactic after the huge bloody amazing version of Come On.

I'm not a huge Verve fan, but holy shit....Richard's voice live is bloody impressive, really one of the best vocalists I've ever heard live.

Ricoh had a horrible sound mix though, the low end was way too high, the guitarist was drowned out by the bass and vocals for most the show.

so yes, good show, glad I went. The place was probably 60% full and I have no doubt that the particularly high price of tickets was a big part of that, I'm sure a lot of the more casual fans would have come if the show wasnt soo pricey.

But still for a band who has been gone for a decade to come back to a crowd that size was still pretty nice.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

djcheezwhiz

TRIBE Member
fantastic show!!! come on was spectacular...& i can't really add much else to what has been said already...richard has phenomenal stage presence...simon's energy was infectious, and it was good to see nick back up there...he is a master...

it would have been nice to see gravity grave, but come on seems to have taken it's place in the sets as the big closer (before the encore), so no complaints...i would have liked to have heard she's a superstar, but i don't even think they played it when i saw them at their phoenix show...

great night all around, and glad to have the boys back!!! i think the new album is set for a june release, so maybe they'll be back in the next 6 to 12 months...

& first time at ricoc (I was supposed to go see kraftwerk, but turned it down :( ) ... not a bad venue, but it would have been great to see them in something a little more intimate...

so one more time, fantastic night out!!!

jc

gasper

TRIBE Member
That was a killer good show. Defintitely lands in my list of top10 concerts seen. Highlight for me was "Velvet Morning" and "Come On". I have some photos, that will show up in a review somewhere soon.

gasper

TRIBE Member
sianspherica said:
crowd was kind of lame, the energy there never really got going. at least on the floors.
The majority of fans are like 30-35 year olds that were listening to music they listened to 10 years ago, so this isn't a surprise :)

junglegirl

TRIBE Member
cuz 30-35 yr olds dont have energy?

A friend of mine went last night. Cant wait to hear how she thought it was...

Sylent Syd

TRIBE Member
mandapanda said:
you know how i go on about how i don't really like urban hymns? well, i may have gained a newfound appreciation for it, as those songs sounded immense last night.
I had that exact same feeling after last night's show as well...on the subway home, my sister and I were going on about how sick we became of Bittersweet Symphony being overplayed, but when they unleashed it in the encore, it was love all over again! :) Drugs Don't Work and Space In Time also sounded grand.

Although the sound was somewhat muddy, I think The Verve are one of the few Britpop bands I've seen where it feels like their songs benefit in an arena atmosphere.

Agree that Simon was the highlight, haha! When he broke into the bassline of "Good Times" by Chic near the end of "Life's An Ocean," I was howling!

Only song I would've liked to hear that they didn't play was "On Your Own," but that's just nitpicking - An absolutely brilliant concert...Welcome back lads! :cool:

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

kyfe

TRIBE Member
being like the 7th or 8th time i've seen them now from their very first show all the way up to this one, I have to say this was one of their better peformances, for a band that has broken up twice now they had really tight chemistry, it was nice to hear stuff from all of their albums brought back so many memories, hearing Drugs don't work live was a moment i will cherish for years to come, it has to be one of the most emotional songs you could ever hear. The new songs were cool, and the motown interludes we kind of need, the guitar riff from i am the resurection was great to hear as well since I'm also b huge stone roses fan. Brought my wife who really enjoyed the show even though she's not a huge fan, ran into a very old friend form italy that i haven't seen in like 5 years. Overall a great show that lived up to the hype, I have pic's and vid's that i'll post later, I have the craziness that was come on, on video.

I have a funny feeling we'll see them in September;)

rentboy

TRIBE Member
gasper said:
The majority of fans are like 30-35 year olds that were listening to music they listened to 10 years ago, so this isn't a surprise :)

that's not an acceptable reason at all. Fans should get down no matter what. When i saw Roger Waters last year, there were people in their 50s and 60s losing it.

A part of me wishes i'd went... but a part would have been disappointed not to hear Gravity Grave. Glad to hear Richard got rid of that awful blonde hair.

kyfe

TRIBE Member
one more thing, I kept thinking all night as I watched people about the Chappelle Sketch and how White people react when they hear guitar.

There was alot of swaying in the audience

gasper

TRIBE Member
My point isn't their age, as much as the fact that the band has practically no NEW music for people to get crazy excited about. It was more like a reintroduction of the hugely familiar - a calm, nostalgic show. The show was pretty low key in terms of crowd vibe, but that's a Toronto thing in general.

The crowd got hyped at the right moments, I think.

mandapanda

TRIBE Member
kyfe said:
I have a funny feeling we'll see them in September;)
yeah, i read something to the effect of them coming back after they release the album in aug. i NEED to see them again!

people in my area were rocking the fuck out during "come on". well, as much as toronto rocks out. i noticed a lot of 30 something men pumping their fists in the air which made me giggle.

i still can't get over how amazing "already there" sounded live. it was so rich and full. even though nick broke a guitar string in the middle of the song (i think) and had to switch guitars.

oh and how crippled was i after standing on concrete for 3 hours last night? i was hobbling my way to the streetcar i was in so much pain. but it was so worth it. i still can't stop smiling about last night!!!!!

Last edited:

mushroom

TRIBE Member
wow!!!!!! what a fantastic show. i forgot how good they were live. i saw them the last time they were here 10 years ago at Copps Coliseum. that time i had to leave early to get the last bus out of hamilton to get home, so i missed the encore.

this time, stayed right to end hoping they'd play all night. fuck!!!! they fucking rock!

it even made me forget the sting of only getting $10 for a $70 floor ticket from the scalper beforehand! lol

sianspherica

TRIBE Member
Already There made me realize how influential an album like Storm In Heaven probably has been.

One of my favorite bands is named "Sianspheric", and I can definitely see they must have been influenced by the Verve a lot.

sianspherica

TRIBE Member
mushroom said:
wow!!!!!! what a fantastic show. i forgot how good they were live. i saw them the last time they were here 10 years ago at Copps Coliseum. that time i had to leave early to get the last bus out of hamilton to get home, so i missed the encore.

this time, stayed right to end hoping they'd play all night. fuck!!!! they fucking rock!

it even made me forget the sting of only getting $10 for a $70 floor ticket from the scalper beforehand! lol
$10?!?

why didnt you sell it online?

kyfe

TRIBE Member
sianspherica said:
Already There made me realize how influential an album like Storm In Heaven probably has been.

One of my favorite bands is named "Sianspheric", and I can definitely see they must have been influenced by the Verve a lot.
I remember getting promo's from them when i worked in radio, they are a great band, are they still together?

mushroom

TRIBE Member
sianspherica said:
$10?!?

why didnt you sell it online?
ha! i tried, but it was so last minute no one bit. trust me, i didn't think i'd have a problem unloading it on a scalper before the show.

oh well! the last time i did this was the verve 10 years ago and i got fleeced then too! weird:eek:

billy

TRIBE Member
sianspherica said:

i was mentioning the same thing yesterday how sianspheric sounds so much like a storm in heaven.

rave jedi

TRIBE Member
gasper said:
My point isn't their age, as much as the fact that the band has practically no NEW music for people to get crazy excited about. It was more like a reintroduction of the hugely familiar - a calm, nostalgic show. The show was pretty low key in terms of crowd vibe, but that's a Toronto thing in general.

The crowd got hyped at the right moments, I think.
Totally agree with you.

From my seat I could see the entire crowd and how the vibe was going all over the place. The crowd was lacking in energy with the people at front and centre included. Honestly, it was a good concert and I had a nice time. However, I'm positive I've been to about 99 better concerts than last night. Guess, I've been spoiled by the best from Depeche Mode, U2, Oasis, Pink Floyd, Madonna, Prince, Rolling Stones and the list goes on... :cool:

Maybe because the energy was so amazing for Coldplay 2 years, I'll state that just Richard Ashcroft opening for them was better. The vibe was just unreal and AWESOME compared to last night.

The fun factor is the most important thing at any concert!

mandapanda

TRIBE Member
billy said:
i was mentioning the same thing yesterday how sianspheric sounds so much like a storm in heaven.
i am going to have to check them out as this sounds right up my alley. i know the name, but have never actually heard them. and i think ASIH is the greatest album ever made! yes, i do.