• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

The Unpopular Non-Breeders thread

SJN

TRIBE Member
This society is very individualist... it's all about "me" and "my needs". Children are part of the society and God forbid they act out, because they are just that, children. God forbid they are brought into a restaurant that isn't "family restaurant"...

I try hard not to comment when it comes to this, especially because many people get offended, but I really find it very strange and it really saddens me to see how children are viewed here sometimes.
It has nothing to do with selfishness or how children are viewed. It has to with adults wanting some 'adult only' time. I have two young kids (1 and 4), and its important for your sanity to have some kid-free time. The last thing you want on 'date night' is to be surrounded by screaming kids. It's not at all unreasonable.

agentRC4

TRIBE Member
I will vouch for them. We have had a very good time each time we have gone. They are great about my kids peanut allergy.

They are a great family friendly restaurant and have an award on the door to prove it.

Its regular pub type fare but done rather well. My kids get the grilled cheese samitches.

the menu is on the website

Jawny Bakers Restaurant - Toronto, Ontario Canada

They have a treasure chest for the kids.

Its big enough place and lots of room to move. It is not a place where they stick tables in every corner.

Mind you every time we have gone it has been "off hours" so its not too busy and our kids won't ruin it for everyone else. I do not take the family out to restaurants during peak times. IE I will duck out of work early on a Friday and go for 5pm before the rush starts type of thing.

Last edited:

ravinjunkie

TRIBE Member
Overly sensitive parents are fucking annoying -
At AndroidTO one of the presenters joked about how his co-presenter plays lego starwars with his kid and few people yelled out, "what's wrong with that?"

There's nothing with that, THERE IS SOMETHING WRONG WITH YOU.

basketballjones

TRIBE Member
This society is very individualist... it's all about "me" and "my needs". Children are part of the society and God forbid they act out, because they are just that, children. God forbid they are brought into a restaurant that isn't "family restaurant"...

I try hard not to comment when it comes to this, especially because many people get offended, but I really find it very strange and it really saddens me to see how children are viewed here sometimes.
god forbid you get a grip

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories
tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Hawk Eye

TRIBE Member
It has nothing to do with selfishness or how children are viewed. It has to with adults wanting some 'adult only' time. I have two young kids (1 and 4), and its important for your sanity to have some kid-free time. The last thing you want on 'date night' is to be surrounded by screaming kids. It's not at all unreasonable.
My cousin and her husband go on vacation once a year and my aunt/uncle babysit their children. They always go to 'adult only' resorts.. for just that reason that you stated.. they dont want to be surrounded by screaming children lol

p.s this is supposed to be a non-breeding thread so why are the 'breeders' coming in and getting all offended? We don't go into your MOM thread and start talking about all the "negatives" about having children now do we? :)

Hawk Eye

TRIBE Member
Killa, children can act out all they want, but the parents need to be aware and reel them in.
YES! One of the most annoying things is when you see a child going ape shit, running around and the parents are just ignoring them. When I was a teenager I was working in a retail store in the mall. We had these HUGE 20 foot 50% off sale signs that hung in the window display. A mother and her child walked in and the mother was talking to me and my manager. I was looking over and the stupid kid was in the window display smacking the sign back and forth. If that sign unhinged and crushed down on him, he would either have gotten killed, knocked out/seriously injured as it was heavy.. and the store would have been sued even though the mother wasn't even paying attention or telling the kid to stop it. My manager finally told the mother of what the kid was doing and she told him to get out of the window display. She was facing the kid the entire time we were talking so why dind't she say anything?

ravinjunkie

TRIBE Member
p.s this is supposed to be a non-breeding thread so why are the 'breeders' coming in and getting all offended? We don't go into your MOM thread and start talking about all the "negatives" about having children now do we? :)
Seriously, it's fucking annoying - we had the pleasure of flying on a 16 hour flight listening to screaming babies the entire time. Parents didn't really give a fuck, didn't bother to get up and walk the screaming baby. no one slept on that flight between the stupid "dinges" and screams. Why the fuck do all of us have to suffer? They should make a separate section for family - so fucking annoying.

DUMB

erika

TRIBE Member
This would probably get more discussion in the Mom thread.

But I'll bite...I have to say that it seems to me that parents are generally more lax these days. Read the article - a 2 year old throwing a tantrum and hurling a salt shaker into another diner's dish? Fuck, if I were the mother of that child I'd be mortified, and I'd offer to pay for the other patron's meal. There seems to be a trend of parent's not taking responsibility, shrugging bad child behaviour off (terrible twos?). I'm not saying all parents are like this - heck, I have friends who will get up from their meal to take their child straight home if he/she starts to throw a fit in public. This is what my parents did, and we quickly learned that going out to restaurants was a 'treat' and that we needed to behave a certain way if we wanted to have that treat. I think childless restaurant patrons can generally understand and tolerate some level of unexpectedness that comes with children in general - but there has to be some mutual level of respect for others coming from the child's parents as well.

There, I think I've made enough blanket statements to generate discussion :p

I think it's the parents who are more "mememe" and anything that belongs to "me". So if that child belongs to that parent, it can do no wrong in the parent's eyes.

When my daughter was little I didn't take her to places where I felt she would be uncomfortable, and always had distractions for her. I also had a collapsible stroller that was very handy for getting on and off the ttc (suv-stroller owners who behave like you're in need of disabled help, please take note).

I do also think that's more of a polarizing issue in North America where (gross generalization) people go for the simplistic black/white approach. That's why you have buildings with no kids, but also bars where you can't get a cup of tea, or coffee shops where you can't have a glass of wine.

A more holistic, live and let live approach (as practiced in my native country) seems to work better in that regard.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

kuba

TRIBE Member
This is an interesting thread I stumbled upon with some good discussion. For the record I try to be as cognizant as humanly possible when my 18 month old acts out, regardless if we're at Lick's or perhaps a place like Fabbrica (which is as far as we'll go for "upscale" and only on "off-hours" such as Sat afternoon.

But on another note, I have a question which may/not have been discussed:

WHY do you choose not to have kids?

I know one friend said she didn't want to have kids because of the physical pain of childbirth. I'll tell you the truth- before I had one I could've gone either way and now obviously I'm thrilled I do. That said I fully understand when people say they don't want to but have never asked "why" because it hasn't been my place. On a message board it's not as 'personal' so perhaps I may ask it here without being beaten into submission!

So, why not? Just curious is all. Not making judgements!

derek

TRIBE Member
i never had the desire to sire a progeny and was lucky enough to meet a lady with the same view. it's a simple as that.

Hawk Eye

TRIBE Member
Seriously, it's fucking annoying - we had the pleasure of flying on a 16 hour flight listening to screaming babies the entire time. Parents didn't really give a fuck, didn't bother to get up and walk the screaming baby. no one slept on that flight between the stupid "dinges" and screams. Why the fuck do all of us have to suffer? They should make a separate section for family - so fucking annoying.

DUMB
I went to see The Hobbit on Xmas Eve Day and there was a couple with their new born baby. They were sitting (in an almost empty theatre).. right at the front to be away from everyone.. that's nice but why would they want to spend that much money in the theatre to sit front row? so odd.

Mr. Magyar

TRIBE Member
This is an interesting thread I stumbled upon with some good discussion. For the record I try to be as cognizant as humanly possible when my 18 month old acts out, regardless if we're at Lick's or perhaps a place like Fabbrica (which is as far as we'll go for "upscale" and only on "off-hours" such as Sat afternoon.

But on another note, I have a question which may/not have been discussed:

WHY do you choose not to have kids?

I know one friend said she didn't want to have kids because of the physical pain of childbirth. I'll tell you the truth- before I had one I could've gone either way and now obviously I'm thrilled I do. That said I fully understand when people say they don't want to but have never asked "why" because it hasn't been my place. On a message board it's not as 'personal' so perhaps I may ask it here without being beaten into submission!

So, why not? Just curious is all. Not making judgements!
Same reason why people choose to have kids: that is our preference.