• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

The Unit - President Palmer's new gig

Anyone watching this? As some of you know, I have a bit of a vested interest in the show (my brother is doing the music for the season), but I'm pretty impressed how they're balancing the twin stories between the actual strike mission and the creepy Stepford Wives-ish situation with the wives and spouses of the members of the unit.

For those who aren't in the know, David Mamet (as in Glengary Glen Ross, American Buffalo, Heist and Spartan) wrote and created the show, with an actual founding member of the Delta Force acting as an advisor of the Delta Force element of the show. From what my brother was telling me, they met while making Spartan.

Cannabis Seed Wedding Bands

Hipsterave

TRIBE Promoter
I watched it I like that palmer freaked out at the end and started shooting shit. Seemed like watching 24 where the pres kicks ass. Dont know yet if its a hook like 24 but it was a good intro episode

I think that's probably something that might hurt it, since it's not really something like 24, as it's a bit more traditional in it's presentation.

Still, I'm hoping it finds its own audience, cause my brother would like do more work on this.

videotronic

TRIBE Member
ive been giggling about the commercials

the huge voice...THE UNIT

haha

i didnt know mamet was involved...i love his work...

okay that fucking kicked ass. Didn't see the President Palmer crazy angle coming, nor the Colonel (Robert Patrick) banging the wife of one of the other team members. This could have some great story arcs. :)

Yes, I'm biased. Fuck you, blood is thicker than water, blah blah blah. But I was genuinely impressed by the end plot twists

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Klubmasta Will

TRIBE Member
i had no idea this show existed. david mamet is amazing.

does it play on any other nights/channels? the second episode is on global right now and i missed the first bit.

ps. SPARTAN rules.

So far the only night it's showing is on Tuesdays, but keep an eye out for Saturday, because my brother told me that they might re-air the first episode again because of the strong first show ratings (think it was 16 million households).

peko

TRIBE Member
Checking this out tonight for the first time. President Palmer is in everything I watch these days.

Last edited:

Klubmasta Will

TRIBE Member
who was the hot blonde talking to t-1000? is that his girlfirend?

i think i'll watch it on CBS at 9 pm cuz i missed a bunch.

Rajio

Well-Known TRIBEr
the hot blonde is slutting around with t-1000 behind her husban's back. t-1000 keeps sending her husband into the feild so she gets lonely and beds his liquid-metal ass.

furthermore: that ending was predictable. ever since he starts pulling the 'i cant breathe' routine. shit.

does the show remind anybody else of a watered down version of 'over there'? plus an obligatory last-second 'supprise'

Dr Trance

TRIBE Member
el presidente Highsteppa said:
Anyone watching this? As some of you know, I have a bit of a vested interest in the show (my brother is doing the music for the season), but I'm pretty impressed how they're balancing the twin stories between the actual strike mission and the creepy Stepford Wives-ish situation with the wives and spouses of the members of the unit.

For those who aren't in the know, David Mamet (as in Glengary Glen Ross, American Buffalo, Heist and Spartan) wrote and created the show, with an actual founding member of the Delta Force acting as an advisor of the Delta Force element of the show. From what my brother was telling me, they met while making Spartan.

I've been into this show for its two episodes and am quite impressed. It's interesting to hear Mamet write without using expletives. And good on your brother for landing the music gig, Highsteppa! Does he live and work in Hollywood?

Dr Trance said:
I've been into this show for its two episodes and am quite impressed. It's interesting to hear Mamet write without using expletives. And good on your brother for landing the music gig, Highsteppa! Does he live and work in Hollywood?

Yeah, he's been trying to break into feature films (a lot better paying and a lot less frantic work - he was working 20 hour shifts in order to get the music done for the show). Now that he's got Mamet on his side, this should help him cross over...we hope. :)

He's got a few other credits to his name as well. He managed to score the last season of Buffy the Vampire Slayer, and came *this* -----> )( close to getting the show Prison Break.

kuba

TRIBE Member
does it matter if i've missed all the episodes so far?

is it shot in HD?

(question two will help me decide if i want to watch it)

Wiseman

TRIBE Member
"Sorry?....................Sorry's what you tell your girlfriend when you finish too quick."

awesome

StarvinMarvin

TRIBE Member
kuba said:
does it matter if i've missed all the episodes so far?

is it shot in HD?

(question two will help me decide if i want to watch it)

you can live with out the first few episodes, it won't kill it but it may take you a while to get up to speed on a few of the at home situations.......

no idea about the HD, the ones I'm downloading are HD tho:D

moose-meat

TRIBE Member
Struck me as just another anti-Muslim pro-US army propagada project.

I will pay more attention to the music next episode though...

moose-meat said:
Struck me as just another anti-Muslim pro-US army propagada project.

I will pay more attention to the music next episode though...

I can understand that critique, but the show is aiming to be dealing with a new situation and enemy each week, and not go back to the same old villians over and over again. The second episode had them trying to apprehend a eurotrash terrorist villain, while last night's dealt with bailing out Christian Mission workers and an internal conflict with the team itself.

Mamet I don't think would allow the show to go into a cheap villain and morality, as he's a much more complex writer and as acting Executive Producer, has final say about what will be the plots that go ahead and which won't.

So far there's only been one reference to middle east terrorists (the first episode), and even then there wasn't much indication that they were even Muslim. So, I'm pretty confident that they're going to lay off of the rah rah Americana stuff and concentrate on peripheral enemies that might warrant having the Delta Force deployed.

Last edited:

Rajio

Well-Known TRIBEr
StarvinMarvin said:
man tonights episode is just half way done and it is off the hook SEER or SER training bitches....THATS FOOKIN NUTZO

SERE

and they didnt do all my favorites: white noice, sensory depravation, and stress positions.

....not to mention there not being enough pointing at genitals!

StarvinMarvin

TRIBE Member
Rajio said:
SERE

and they didnt do all my favorites: white noice, sensory depravation, and stress positions.

....not to mention there not being enough pointing at genitals!

whatever it was amazing it's only an hour not two hours....and the highlights for next week with the arms dealer with children for body guards is amazing