1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

The TTC seems like it is collapsing

Discussion in 'TRIBE Main Forum' started by alexd, Jun 8, 2015.

1. alexd

alexd Administrator Staff Member

[​IMG]

Every single time I have tried to ride the TTC in the last month large chunks of it have shut down unexpectedly, or in this morning's case, the entire thing was shut down LOL ! At rush hour on Monday morning! Ha!

Yesterday I wanted to get to Sheppard station but there were no trains going there from Bloor/Yonge. There were shitloads of people walking around with "ASK ME" shirts on, so I asked one why there were no trains running and how long that would be the case for, and she said "No idea" twice.

I changed my mind and didn't go up there at all yesterday afternoon.

Thank God I ride my bike pretty much everywhere and don't have to rely on the TTC for anything usually.

2. wickedken

wickedken TRIBE Member

It is a sad state of affairs when it is normal for the TTC to operate smoothly - that is, you are surprised when you don't run into issues. Everywhere else you go, transit just works. I've run into one delay of four minutes on the subway here, and none on trams or buses, over 7 weeks.

3. Blysspluss

Blysspluss TRIBE Member

Ahem. Bogus!

Come to Saskatoon. Then you can see what bad transit looks like. It's really just some buses that show up in some places sometimes, not transit.

4. Sal De Ban

Sal De Ban TRIBE Member

Complaining about ttc. I'm over it.

5. mute79

mute79 TRIBE Member

Yeah, bitching about TTC is so '90s. Yes, the system is not perfect, but it's been getting better, and should get much better once they replace the signalling system that is in use from the '50s. I've been using the TTC regularly for 25 years; I don't plan on driving (though I own a car) and don't plan on biking (though I own a bike).

6. xtcfreak

xtcfreak TRIBE Member

4 minutes late? That is your complaint?

Jay

7. videotronic

videotronic TRIBE Member

i don't know what world you live in that you think its getting better but it sure isn't the one I'm in. Ive been living here since 06 and the ttc is more fucked now than its ever been. its so unreliable now that on the rare cases where there aren't issues i get to work 5 minutes or so early..

8. videotronic

videotronic TRIBE Member

i believe he's saying that wherever he is now has only had a single 4 minute delay over a 7 week period as opposed to here, where you'll often have multiple 4 minute delays every trip, every day

9. Boss Hog

Boss Hog TRIBE Member

South Korea has a public transportation system that is incredible.

60 years ago they were living in grass huts.

Keep making your excuses, Toronto.

10. I_bRAD

I_bRAD TRIBE Member

Hey We're going to sell off our hydro infrastructure for 1 3/4 subway trains so stay tuned. They'll fix that up real good. They won't be able to afford the electricity to run it, but when it does- look out.

11. KickIT

KickIT TRIBE Member

Seoul's subway is ridiculously good. Some things we can learn from that model:

1) Subway stations are economic hubs for the neighbourhood. Every station is pretty much a mall with private enterprise maintaining subways stations.

2) I was using 3G on the subway in 2007. Pretty sure it's been supported back to 2005.

3) Wireless/Card payment systems. Again supported way back in 2007. The fact the TTC is barely implementing a 10 year old technology in 2015 speaks volumes to the ineffectiveness of our model.

4) Stop talking and just build the fucking thing.

12. rentboy

rentboy TRIBE Member

Fully agreed with all of those points. That shit on Monday morning is unacceptable. I'd be keen to see the annual numbers for the amount of times it's down with signal problems.

13. videotronic

videotronic TRIBE Member

always.

14. Krzysiu

Krzysiu TRIBE Member

I've created a fictional bumbling TTC employee named Doug who is the cause of all transit issues - late trains: Doug! Overcrowded buses: Doug! The smells on the Dufferin bus: definitely Doug!

I sort've love to hate Doug - I imagine Doug hee-haw laughs when he describes last nights Big Bang Theory rerun to his friend before eating Subway again for lunch.

15. agentRC4

agentRC4 TRIBE Member

16. kriztian

kriztian TRIBE Member

I agree with spending the last year in Seoul that the transit system is far more advanced than the TTC.

However to fund this all highways are toll highways.
    I cannot see anyone supporting to pay to drive on the 401 in Ontario.

There population is 50 million in an area not much bigger than Southern Ontario. There is more a tax base to pull from and not much of an area to maintain.

Also the record of safety is not great. Last April they had two subway trains collide in the tunnel.

Also the ferry disaster last year which killed 300 people many of whom were teenage kids.

10 years ahead on technology but 10 years behind in safety for mass transit.

17. praktik

praktik TRIBE Member

BUT

you can make phone calls and browse the web when underground... so there's that for Soeul...

18. Krzysiu

Krzysiu TRIBE Member

I like that each station on the Seoul subway has a distinct jingle announcement as the train arrives.

19. I_bRAD

I_bRAD TRIBE Member

Toronto has different tile patterns at each stop!

20. wickedken

wickedken TRIBE Member

The fact is that "Toronto" has proclaimed itself to be a "world-class" city. And after being in multiple world-class cities over many years it is clear that public transit and transportation is a big part of that. And consideration that and seeing how well things run in those other places, well you make the call.

21. wickedken

wickedken TRIBE Member

Sure don't complain. Just read about the problems in the Star. That will solve it. Vote what they say too.

22. praktik

praktik TRIBE Member

Yknow I just wish someone was voted to power that would show all those Star Readers and bicycle worshippers what for! Someone who really speaks for the normal people, yknow?

Someone we can have a beer with.

God if we just tried that ONCE we'd be set people!!

23. Boss Hog

Boss Hog TRIBE Member

I'm all for tolling the 401. The only way to reduce traffic is to tack its real cost back onto the driver. That's a major problem where I am now... no one wants to pay but everyone wants to use it.

If you were referring to the safety record of S. Korea's transit - I think statistically they are likely far more safer than the TTC. Don't forget how many more millions of people they move.

As for the ferry disaster - it was kind of a freak thing that can happen anywhere. I don't know that it's really a knock against the country's overall public transportation safety record. The boat was destined for Jeju Island, and the Jeju - Seoul air corridor is the most travelled in the world with a pretty clean safety record. Same for the ships that have sailed that corridor for years.

24. You may be for the tolling the 401, but you're in the vast minority. In the current political environment, to even propose this would be political suicide and likely fought against vigorously from other politicians that are looking to either get re-elected or score some cheap political points.

The only way to do toll roads is to create more of them into and out of the city - but that's not a reality either.

25. Boss Hog

Boss Hog TRIBE Member

Like I said. A logical piece of a solution to a problem that nobody wants to fix.