• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

The Tribe Work Thread

wickedken

TRIBE Member
Is there already a thread?? Well there needs to be a new non-political thread. Ha.

Question: do you take your work home?? On the weekends? Is it acceptable that it's your life and you do what you think you need to do to "get ahead"?

Stop Bill C-10

afterglow

TRIBE Member
Can't take my work home too much. I manage a 3rd wave café in Manhattan. That being said, I get emails all the time and have to go in on my days off most weeks.

basketballjones

TRIBE Member
wow. my douche quotient went up by 20 just reading that self important nonsense

while we are on douche shit, can you explain to me what ancient grains are? i fucking just cringe reading that on a menu. usually i just get up and leave because next they are gonna offer me free range lemonade

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

basketballjones

TRIBE Member
i seriously wanna know what ancient grains are. did they find them in an excavation?
once you see the buzz words of the day you know the prices be doubling

Bernnie Federko

TRIBE Member
Ancient grains are a grouping of grains and pseudocereals that are considered to have been little changed by selective breeding over recent millennia, as opposed to more widespread cereals such as corn, rice and modern varieties of wheat, which are the product of thousands of years of selective breeding. Ancient grains are often marketed as being healthier than modern grains, though their health benefits have been disputed by some nutritionists.[1][2]

Ancient grains include the grains spelt, Khorasan wheat (Kamut), millet, barley, teff, oats, freekeh, bulgur, sorghum, Farro, einkorn, and emmer; and the pseudocereals quinoa, amaranth, buckwheat, and chia.[1][2][3][4][5][6]Modern wheat is a hybrid descendant of three wheat varieties considered to be ancient grains: spelt, einkorn, and emmer.

basketballjones

TRIBE Member
i just dont like the pretentiousness of it all and the corresponding price hike because of it. if thats your thing good on you. its almost as bad as gluten free ppl and vegans

Bernnie Federko

TRIBE Member
Regarding Work, I would say, what's the Expectation? What did we agree on when the project or role was defined?

I segregated my work by negotiating the terms around availability. I also had them set up a separate blackberry that I can walk away from at the EOD (rather than have remote access on my own phone that I'd be tempted to check when I'm Off).

Now if I were a Director or VP, then it'd be different. Then I'm expected to be available around the clock, or configure a delegate before being offline.

praktik

TRIBE Member
Don't you just hate when people like things that are different than what you like?

I hate it more when people who like shit act like other shit is the worst cause its not the shit they like - see: locavores and organic pushers seeking piety through food choices

praktik

TRIBE Member
I have weekend work - but is known well in advance. Deployment/release times for a project its expected. You can plan around it.

I've had "crunches" where I do a bit more work in the evenings, but i have less of them if the project is well-planned. Had a huge project just deploy, and I had little need to work outside of work hours, though my 9 hour-ish days were super intense and left me feeling completely drained.

I'm ok with the flexible environment, I don't have kids. I can send an email on sat morning and not feel hard done by. But we allow people to go radio silent on the weekend, no one is expected to be turning things around unless its - some mission critical thing, like release weekend. Or some urgent problem somewhere that has execs all excited.

Wiseman

TRIBE Member
My work is base on the work done not hours put in. So some weeks I take work home and others I am able to leave early. Most of the time work is finished during work hours. If I'm working on a project often I'll do work at home when I don't want the distraction of phone calls and meetings etc to focus.

praktik

TRIBE Member
My work is base on the work done not hours put in. So some weeks I take work home and others I am able to leave early. Most of the time work is finished during work hours. If I'm working on a project often I'll do work at home when I don't want the distraction of phone calls and meetings etc to focus.

Same here - i work from home the majority of the time. Sometimes you need that whiteboard and everyone in the room - these times are expected and I will be working from home less.

After these sessions complete and its time to incorporate all the learnings, Im at home 100% of the time

I work for a rather large company, this is the culture in my part of it. I know other places are more old school about "showing up" and "office hours are 9 to 5"

Frequently this is a sign of poor management who feel these kinds of policies grant them some control.

Lojack

TRIBE Member
It is also about real estate. If the company grows and there isn't enough room, moving staff to working from home is one solution. We've done that for the sales team for years, now we're looking at doing it for one of the technical departments. It all comes down to space, too many "important" teams split between offices, so merging those means others in the same office need to move.

Wiseman

TRIBE Member
Same here - i work from home the majority of the time. Sometimes you need that whiteboard and everyone in the room - these times are expected and I will be working from home less.

After these sessions complete and its time to incorporate all the learnings, Im at home 100% of the time

I work for a rather large company, this is the culture in my part of it. I know other places are more old school about "showing up" and "office hours are 9 to 5"

Frequently this is a sign of poor management who feel these kinds of policies grant them some control.

We have very similar work environments. Although I found after working quite a bit at home for a while I now prefer the office and wearing pants to conference calls.

Wiseman

TRIBE Member
I also have a Videophone, two big screens a dock for my Laptop and a nice view of a stream and woods from my office desk so there's that.

praktik

TRIBE Member
I get along quite well with working remote - always get way more done. Currently in somewhat new area of business so just plugging away on projects for a few years to broaden experience here and earn credibility. Frequently my project stakeholders are at different offices from "home base" anyways so it hardly makes a difference where I'm dialing in from most times.

In office I find it harder to concentrate, monitor is not as big as it is at home, i dont mind working a bit later if Im at home vs stressing about "getting on the way" before rush hour kicks in

Blysspluss

TRIBE Member
My technical union-mandated hours are banker's hours.. That said, there's times when I do all-nighters and the like because someone failed to plan the project properly, and the deadline is a "go now or wait another year to do this." That and some of it is really fun. When I'm bored of my regular distractions, I don't mind picking away at it.

I do get a lot more done when working remote, because I do share an office with 5 other people and there are no cubes/dividers at work. Plus there's no interruptions at home. My workdays are filled with em.