• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

The Travel Thread

Liability

TRIBE Member
should i go to australia for 2 weeks in april? is 2 weeks even enough time?

oh, i just can't make a decision to save my life. i don't know if it's worth the expense and travel time.
I would say it depends on what you want to see and do. Having travelled there for a long time (6 months), it is hard to do it in a short time because of travel distance and time required.

Alternatively, you may want to take a look at New Zealand. Beautiful place which shares a lot of geographical similarities but on a much smaller scale. You could do something like the south island in 2 full weeks.

mandapanda

TRIBE Member
i don't really need to DO a lot of stuff. my best friend is in sydney so i'd be going there. the only thing really on my to-do list is to learn how to surf! it'd be cool to maybe go to melbourne for 4 days or something or drive up the coast or whatevs, but i am fully aware that i can't go see all the amazing sights around the country unless i go for a longer period of time. i also don't know if i can afford to take an extra third week of vacation unpaid to extend the trip.

but flying 14+ hours for just 2 weeks of vacation seems kind of not worth it. then again, i just feel like it's a great opportunity to go there since she's probably only there until sept. so a) i have somewhere to stay and b) someone who knows the city.

alternatively, i've found some cheap flights to london (and i haven't been in 6 years, which saddens me) and berlin. i could do that for the price of the plane ticket to australia and again, have people i can stay with. and the £ is so low right now. i've never been when it wasn't worth at least $2.2 CAD.

sigh. i have been debating for a month now! :(

erika

TRIBE Member
I want to go away for the Easter long week-end, 4 days, but don't know where.
San Fran seems too far and jet-laggy for that amount of time.
I wouldn't mind better weather than here, would like some coast and some art/culture.
I'm sort of thinking Boston - though weather is no guarantee, or possibly Miami, but I'm making a face as I'm writing Miami.
Any suggestions?

erika

TRIBE Member
i don't really need to DO a lot of stuff. my best friend is in sydney so i'd be going there. the only thing really on my to-do list is to learn how to surf! it'd be cool to maybe go to melbourne for 4 days or something or drive up the coast or whatevs, but i am fully aware that i can't go see all the amazing sights around the country unless i go for a longer period of time. i also don't know if i can afford to take an extra third week of vacation unpaid to extend the trip.

but flying 14+ hours for just 2 weeks of vacation seems kind of not worth it. then again, i just feel like it's a great opportunity to go there since she's probably only there until sept. so a) i have somewhere to stay and b) someone who knows the city.

alternatively, i've found some cheap flights to london (and i haven't been in 6 years, which saddens me) and berlin. i could do that for the price of the plane ticket to australia and again, have people i can stay with. and the £ is so low right now. i've never been when it wasn't worth at least $2.2 CAD.

sigh. i have been debating for a month now! :(
Two weeks is NOT enough to go to Australia. And only going to Sydney is a waste.
Make your peace with that.
If you want to surf, try surf camp in Costa Rica :).

ila

TRIBE Member
Anyone ever done an all-girls extended weekend in Vegas? For like a birthday or something?

I'm going with some girlfriends in May and I have a few questions, like...where to stay, where to eat, what clubs to go to and how to get into the clubs...? I hear cover and bottle service are ridic.

Anything else to do in Vegas that's fun aside from gambling and eating?

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

ravinjunkie

TRIBE Member
I want to go away for the Easter long week-end, 4 days, but don't know where.
San Fran seems too far and jet-laggy for that amount of time.
I wouldn't mind better weather than here, would like some coast and some art/culture.
I'm sort of thinking Boston - though weather is no guarantee, or possibly Miami, but I'm making a face as I'm writing Miami.
Any suggestions?
new york city
go see the tim burton's exhibition at Moma. It's on until almost the end of April. Not ideal weather, but it is worth the trip to see his exhibit.

ravinjunkie

TRIBE Member

oh, i just can't make a decision to save my life. i don't know if it's worth the expense and travel time.
no effing way! there's not enough time for that, however if you feel this is the only time you can and will go to OZ - go for it! i'd go to Berlin, personally. go see the zoo for me again!

mandapanda

TRIBE Member
oh, i scrapped the australia trip a long time ago! ;)

currently i'm back to my original "i'm going to move there in 2 years" plan. who knows? i'm fickle.

right now i'm obsessed with going to berlin/uk in the summer or fall. it'll probably be something different next month.

artemis

TRIBE Member
^^^ As it should be!

I find that travel plans are best when i just save up the cash, book the time, and decide where to go 'on the fly'

Usually, like you, i've got a couple of options that i've been mulling over for some time, but the 'no-plan' plan has really worked best!

If you decide on UK / Berlin lemme know, i might have some airline hookups - especially if they are last minute-type deals.

zedtech

TRIBE Member

I went for 2 weeks in late August, so yes it can be done :) I spent my time in Sydney and Cairns/Great Barrier Reef though. I was on a somewhat tight budget too but I'm definitely going back to do Melbourne, Gold Coast, Darwin, Perth and Alice Springs. So what are some highlights that I did whilst in Australia as a first trip?

Sydney (10 days)
- Tour of Sydney Opera House
- Dinner & drinks at Darling Harbour
- Caught Transformers 2 at the IMAX Darling Harbour
- Dinner & drinks at Circular Quay
- Shopping & barhopping in The Rocks
- Bondi Beach
- Manly Beach
- Taronga Zoo
- Full day tour at The Blue Mountains
- ANZ Stadium (aka 2000 Summer Olympics Stadium), Acer Arena (next door neighbours)

Cairns (4 days)
- Spent two full days living on the ocean at the Great Barrier Reef (2 day snorkling/scuba - Rum Runner Cairns - Overnight Sailing, Diving and Snorkelling)
- Cape Tribulation Day Tour

I booked the Cairns adventures as a package deal here: Peterpans Adventure Travel

rejenerate

TRIBE Member
new york city
go see the tim burton's exhibition at Moma. It's on until almost the end of April. Not ideal weather, but it is worth the trip to see his exhibit.
That exhibit's coming to Toronto...however, I'm also mulling an Easter weekend trip. Have considered NYC and Florida as well.

kate manus

TRIBE Member
go see the zoo for me again!
I really liked the Berlin zoo when I was there as well, got to see Knut briefly while he was still a cub too!

I'm going to Madrid for the first time at the end of this month for 5 days, really looking forward to it, 2 days I am stuck working and the rest is mini vacation time.

jus me

TRIBE Member
I'm heading to LA for Easter long weekend and I'll be staying at my friend's place in Silver Lake.

He suddenly has a huge project due that weekend, so may not be able to take me around the whole time. Has anyone been to this part of LA? What is there to do and see? I've been google-mapping it and can only get a vague sense.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

mandapanda

TRIBE Member
newest travel fixation: friend who moved back home to ireland is going to live in the south of france for the summer. or her boyfriend's parents have some villa in spain. so now some of us are planning on inviting ourselves to visit (with an obligatory pit stop in london for friends and topshop). holy shitballs! i hope it happens! i doubt it, but a girl (who hasn't been anywhere interesting in years) can dream!

erika

TRIBE Member
That exhibit's coming to Toronto...however, I'm also mulling an Easter weekend trip. Have considered NYC and Florida as well.
I'm still on the fence, back to NYC, potentially Miami and even San Fran despite the time difference. A Tim Burton exhibit would not be enough to sway me - the Whitney Biennial might Whitney Museum of American Art: 2010Whitney Biennial

but I would so like some decent weather too (like what we're having right now :))

mandapanda

TRIBE Member
^^^ As it should be!

I find that travel plans are best when i just save up the cash, book the time, and decide where to go 'on the fly'

Usually, like you, i've got a couple of options that i've been mulling over for some time, but the 'no-plan' plan has really worked best!

If you decide on UK / Berlin lemme know, i might have some airline hookups - especially if they are last minute-type deals.
i've got a potential berlin flight sorted, but i need a cheap flight to london in july (which i feel is going to be impossible) and i'm trying not to take air transat. hook a sister up! :)

erika

TRIBE Member
^
Ok it's booked - NYC here I come
I think the clincher was seeing that there's a David Mamet play with James Spader - I can totally see him delivering Mamet-style lines :)

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Metal Morphosis

TRIBE Member
^
Ok it's booked - NYC here I come
I think the clincher was seeing that there's a David Mamet play with James Spader - I can totally see him delivering Mamet-style lines :)
ooooh that does sound good!

has anyone been to Kona on the Big Island? We're looking to stay in a condo there for about a week so recommendations would be appreciated.

Metal Morphosis

TRIBE Member
Has anyone been to Bermuda? We just booked our flights for mid-May. Crazy cheap seats ~$300/ person and if you book with your Visa through www.visaperks.ca you get an additional 15% off! Can't go wrong.

Anyway - looking for recommendations on things to do and where to stay on the island.

kate manus

TRIBE Member
^ Going to NYC also - for Fashion's Night Out mmmm:
Fashion?s Night Out 2010 | A Global Celebration of Fashion
Nice! my boyfriend's sister was there last year and checked out the festivities, I think she even got served a drink from one of the Olsen sisters at Bergdorf Goodman or something.. hehe

I am just finalizing plans for my upcoming bday weekend in Berlin, going to meet up with some Canadian friends visiting, can't wait! :) I'm guessing we will end up at Berghain or Tresor.

Also toying with the idea of going on a Mediterranean cruise sometime next spring to stop by some places like Egypt and Turkey without committing to a full trip, basically just to get a feel. Haven't done anything like this before and I can see the pros and cons, but the prices are quite attractive too!

Deus

TRIBE Member
I want to book a flight from Toronto to Budapest to Athens.

The plane to Budapest is scheduled to arrive at 10:50 and the plane to Athens is scheduled to leave at 12:00. Will the plane to Athens wait for me if my previous plane is late? or will I be fuxored? Will they put me on the next flight if I'm late?

Thanks!