1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

The Travel Thread

Discussion in 'TRIBE Main Forum' started by Rude1_247, Mar 14, 2006.

1. djfear

djfear TRIBE Member

Why is Rouge bad?

I flew British Airways to europe, and American Airlines on my way back when I went to Italy. Ugh. Some of the worst flights... and AA is just so plain jane. At least some of the air canada flights have a host of movies to pick from while you're chillin' in your seat. I normally don't bring ipads or any computers aside from my cell phone so I depend on the movies that they offer.

Speaking of bad flights, on my flight from YYZ to Heathrow, this special needs woman was sitting behind and to the right of me across the aisle. She was there with her 85 year old father who couldn't possibly care for this woman. She... was... wow. One of the most disruptive flights I have ever been on. I wish I was surrounded by babies instead. I felt really bad for the flight attendants because they had to help this woman go to the bathroom since her "caregiver" could barely help himself. She would scream and yell and her mumbling talking was peppered with swear words. You can't really blame the woman based on her condition, but wow, it was a rough red eye flight!

2. mandapanda

mandapanda TRIBE Member

I flew Rouge to Europe last summer because there was no other option for flying into Portugal (SATA was more expensive and Transat didn't have the dates I wanted). I was super reluctant because I had heard such bad things.

- The flight there was delayed for about 2 hours, which sucked.
    - The flight back was on time and a total breeze.
    - They don't have in flight entertainment, except the app that you have to download in order to watch movies on your tablet or phone or whatever. I rarely ever use the in flight entertainment so I didn't really care, but I ended up watching "A Girl Walks Home at Night" on my phone, which was an awesome movie (but shitty to hold my phone for two hours). I digress...
    - I didn't really notice it being more crammed than other flights. My legs are always rammed into the seat in front of me no matter who I fly with.

Long story short, it wasn't all that bad. I wouldn't choose it if there was a better option, but it was fine.

Actually I flew Rouge to Cali in April too. Again, not awesome, but not awful.

3. kennyboy

kennyboy TRIBE Member

AC Rouge is basically a no frills airline.

No legroom, no amenities. And if I'm on a long haul flight (more than 3 or 4 hours in my books) I'm paying for comfort.

Same reason I don't rent a compact car if I am travelling any distance. Yeah, great to get me from A to B for a short drive, but I'm getting to be an old guy that is OK to pay for some creature comforts like leg room, comfortable seating, etc.

4. Balzz

Balzz TRIBE Member

Covered 3500km in Iceland over 5 days in my little 90hp beast. ��

[​IMG]

5. Balzz

Balzz TRIBE Member

Awesome. I just got back from Iceland and booked Spain in Sept.

6. wickedken

wickedken TRIBE Member

What's Iceland like? Lively town? Awesome natural beauty?

7. Balzz

Balzz TRIBE Member

8. wickedken

wickedken TRIBE Member

9. glych t.anomaly

glych t.anomaly TRIBE Member

Iceland in 7 weeks !!!

planning this trip has been so fun, and yes its expensive, but fuck i cant wait !!!!!

Im buying a new camera just for this trip ;) and possibly a camera drone !!!!!

so stoked.

10. glych t.anomaly

11. Balzz

Balzz TRIBE Member

Soft and plushy but the lava rock underneath is pretty gnarly. I had drone envy watching a group pilot it through trenches towards the waterfall. The video feed was incredible!

Pro-tip..pack a telephoto lens. I didn't think I would need it so I only brought a 10-18 and an 18-35 and missed out on a few shots.

12. glych t.anomaly

Awesome ! thanks for the heads up.

13. Balzz

Balzz TRIBE Member

Also buy liquor at the duty free as you arrive if you plan on drinking. Booze is ridiculously expensive.

14. Bernnie Federko

Bernnie Federko TRIBE Member

Off to Barcelona in a week with the 3 year old in tow. Any suggestions/tips?

15. Bernnie Federko

Bernnie Federko TRIBE Member

... And maybe worth mentioning we're flying AC Rouge :/

Should I pack the tablet for Little F to watch videos since there's no in flight entertainment?

But Yeah, mostly interested in stuff to look out for/into while in Barcelona...

16. glych t.anomaly

LOL ,

Im curious what the jobs and infrastucture must be like to live there, if the prices are what they are? what would be considered a decent sustainable wage, its been pretty entertaining comparing costs of places like the ION Adventure hotel to the hotels in downtown Reykjavik !

thanks again dood.

17. greginhali

greginhali TRIBE Member

Maui in 10 ten days! Pumped! Surfing and Volcanos. A lots of picture taking.

18. Liability

Liability TRIBE Member

Talking with the locals, they make a wage that allows them to live there, similar how the wages in most Scandinavian are higher relatively compared to ours. Rumour is even the locals buy their booze at the duty free by booking cheap flights.

The ION is a beautiful structure but I don't know that I would want to stay there. We visited but did not stay.

Just got back from Sweden/Norway; so now I have done most of the Scandinavian countries.

19. glych t.anomaly

We are doing the ION for our last night in Iceland :D

Im excited, if the timing and weather works out we will do their Northern Lights tour, and just take advantage of the amenities.

and the ION is actually cheaper to book from their actual website, than any other hotel in Reykjavik ! The only way to get cheaper costs, and they are usually right under or over what we paid for one night at ION is via expedia/tripadvisor/etc links to find significant reductions in nightly stays.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2016
  20. wickedken

wickedken TRIBE Member

21. wickedken

wickedken TRIBE Member

I don't understand why drunks get drunk to go on a flight. It's not only dangerous to health, as effects are magnified, but if there's an incident you're putting yourself in danger by not being on point. Plus you annoy the fuck out of fellow passengers and crew, like this guy:

https://twitter.com/CNAviationDaily/status/760316479053045762

22. glych t.anomaly

23. wickedken

wickedken TRIBE Member

This Russian guy likes to travel but his latest adventure seems incredible, namely 11 days without sleep in a balloon around the world. However he has rowed the Atlantic and pacific and sailed around the world three times, solo to both poles, and climbed Everest. That's quite a list of accomplishments.

Russian priest in record hot air balloon trip tells of 11 days without sleep

24. djfear

djfear TRIBE Member

Nepal for 2 weeks in October + weekend in Dubai at the end. Hoping to do a manaslu trek, though we need to squeeze in some double days.

Last time I went to Nepal I took a photo that was the first hit out of millions of photos on flickr for years:

[​IMG]Nepal - Towards Machhapuchhre...

Last edited: Sep 20, 2016
  25. wickedken

wickedken TRIBE Member