• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

The Travel Thread

stargurl*

TRIBE Member
I watch it sometimes, but hate the times when it just seems we're not making any progress at all. So frustrating!

djfear

TRIBE Member
Booked a (only) 2 week trip to asia just now. Singapore is the base camp, but I have a strong feeling my cousin and I will be heading to Sulawesi for the majority of the duration. Sri Lanka was the other option, and really any reasonable flight out of Singapore.

Metal Morphosis

TRIBE Member
thinking about booking a cruise for nov/dec.
likely to the caribbean.
also with 2 kids (they'll be 4 & 7)

any recommendations? cruises to steer clear of? etc. TIA

kennyboy

TRIBE Member
Can't help with any cruise recommendations but wanted to ask if you and the kids have been on one before.

Thinking of taking our 6 year old on our first cruise. Just not sure how she will deal with being on a massive boat.

Metal Morphosis

TRIBE Member
we're first time cruisers as well.
i'm a little nervous about seasickness but i think ill just come prepared with all the drugs and paraphernalia recommended to combat that.

ravinjunkie

TRIBE Member
Cruises are fun! I did get motion sickness, but if you wear those bands on your wrists, you will be fine. I didn't have to take anything.

greginhali

TRIBE Member
What do you perfer?

Travel agent / live person helping you plan a trip

or

internet websites booking your travel package yourself?

Anyone use a travel agent anymore? Any advantages?

greginhali

TRIBE Member
What do you perfer?

or

kennyboy

TRIBE Member
Depending where I am going, I still like to see a travel agent but I'm old school and still like to go into my bank and see the tellers.

If I'm just booking flights I do that online. For family all inclusive holidays I use my travel agent.

diablo

TRIBE Member
Travel agents can sometimes get you good deals on flights that you may not otherwise have access to. I was pleasantly surprised when using one for a flight to Cambodia that was cheaper and more direct than the online alternatives.

Wouldn't use them for hotels etc unless I was going somewhere super niche and they specialized in that area.

djfear

TRIBE Member
If I'm just buying flights, which is what I do 95% of the time, then I try to book directly with the airline as I find that I receive better customer service in case things go wrong. e.g. I booked directly with Cathay Pacific and they were very flexible when I missed a flight from SG --> HK --> Toronto. I jumped on a later flight from SG to HK, and then at HK I decided to fly to Vancouver instead - all without charge.

I ended up paying about $400 for Air Canada's flight to Toronto from Vancouver (which they setup for me), but that was my choice as I did not want to miss a day of work due to my carelessness with the flight.

I could only imagine what would happen if I booked it with expedia or some other online agency. Having said that, I know that a personal travel agent would also provide you with excellent customer service and that may be another bonus.

ravinjunkie

TRIBE Member
What do you perfer?

or

You're receiving customer attention and service.

This might have been posted a hundred times already, but highly recommend:

brian.bobroff@[nospamplz]flightcentreassociates.com

Personally, I am someone who has a very loose schedule and prefers to buy her own flight tickets at the last minute etc whatever. Also,I THRIVE ON CHEAP FLIGHTS.

The difference with having an agent is that you can build a relationship, there's always someone to help you out 24/7.

greginhali

TRIBE Member
Hi All
I have a trip to turkey planned for August. It is to a small sea side village 100 km outside of Bodrum. We have travelled there before and will have some family meeting us there.
Still, I am nervous, I have been reading the news everyday trying to keep up the news.
What is your view? Would you vacation in Turkey this summer?
thanks

wickedken

TRIBE Member
I had a chance to stay in Istanbul last summer, got a visa and worked out places to stay etc. As the date approached I decided against it due to the regional issues. Being a complete newbie there I'd be visiting the places that are apparently being targeted, any places with lots of people and western tourists. If you are NOT expecting to do any of that you're likely fine. Probably not a good idea to wear your maple leaf jersey tho.

Karim

TRIBE Member
I was there last summer for a bit. Went and checked out the Aya Sophia and Blue Mosque. Was sitting on some benches to catch some shade in the tourist area and just a few months ago, I saw that same area around the benches in the news because a terrorist bomb went off near that spot. Kind of surreal.

wickedken

TRIBE Member
Another thing... that particular region - southern Turkey - is getting special attention due to travellers going both north and south. Be absolutely sure your papers are in order! The flight to Toronto from IST was scrutinized quite well, thankfully and surprisingly.

djfear

TRIBE Member
Hitting Italy for 2 weeks in May. What are your favourite places? I'm flying into Milan and flying out of Paris at the end of the trip. I don't have a flight to Paris booked yet.

Any recommendations for anywhere in Italy?

ch33se

glych t.anomaly

TRIBE Member
Brazil in May for a Wedding , little town few hours outside of Sao Paulo.

Denver in June a couple of weeks later.

Then Iceland / Spain in Sept/Oct.

* Fist Pumps *

Ho||yw0oD

TRIBE Member
Very jealous about the Italy and Brazil trips. Two places I want to visit!

I'm going to Croatia end of May for two weeks. Hitting up Zagreb, Rovinj/Istria, Sibenik (and Krka National Park), Omis, Hvar and Split.

Would love advice from anyone who's traveled there.

wickedken

TRIBE Member
For those liking central and eastern Europe, Air Canada Rouge now has direct flights to Warsaw, Prague and Budapest. It's seasonal only so will end in late fall.

kennyboy

TRIBE Member
Yes, but it's AC Rouge.

Would never fly them to Europe. So many better options that would be way more comfortable, albeit perhaps a bit more expensive.

Not a fan of Rouge in any way, shape or form.