1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

The Travel Thread

Discussion in 'TRIBE Main Forum' started by Rude1_247, Mar 14, 2006.

1. Rude1_247

Rude1_247 TRIBE Member

After a quick search of all the travel threads, I thought it might be useful to have one central thread for all travel related questions and answers. With the new and improved search function, we can search within the thread itself.... so if people use this thread to post where they've been, others can search the thread for the country or city name and find out who else has been there, etc. To start off the thread, a few basic questions:

Where have you been? (when possible, list the cities as well as the countries)

Of the places you've been, which one place would you reccomend to someone else to visit?

What was your worst travel experience?

2. Fillmore

Fillmore TRIBE Member

Well I am going on my very first ever vacation that is not a hockey tournament.
    We scored a stellar deal down in Daytona Beach for 10 days. I know its not thailand or hongkong or anything spectacular but we are super pumped. I get to see my first ocean.

Anyhow anything I should know? any hot spots I should check out? anything I should avoid?

3. deevah

deevah TRIBE Member

fillmore - u just missed bike wk in daytona

4. Rude1_247

Rude1_247 TRIBE Member

You *must* go to Daytona International Speedway....

5. Fillmore

Fillmore TRIBE Member

WITHOUT A DOUBT!!!!

I LOVE NASCAR especially Jeff Gordon

6. SlipperyPete

SlipperyPete TRIBE Member

I'm not going to re-hash shit I've said before, but I will tell everyone to go to Turkey. Best time ever was had in Turkey.

Turkey -- not just a fatass bird.

7. gak

gak TRIBE Member

Amsterdam, England, Scotland, Peru, Bolivia, Chile, Venezuela, Guatemala, Honduras, Nicaragua, Costa Rica, South Korea, Thailand, Myanmar, USA (New York, Florida, Arizona, Utah, Los Angeles, Chicago, Vermont, Las Vegas).

Highly Recommend:
    -Southern Utah, Ometepe Nicaragua, Peru, Salar De Uyuni Bolivia, Atacama Desert Chile, Chiang Mai Thailand, York England, Edinburg Scotland, Roatan Honduras, Moab Utah, Venice Beach L.A., Antigua Guatamala, Bangkok

Worst:
    -Amsterdam at 4 a.m., Tegucigalpa Honduras (security guards at the Pizza Hut have machine guns), Niagara Falls, trying to get single room as an unmarried couple in Utah.

8. Rude1_247

Rude1_247 TRIBE Member

awesome.

9. kmac

kmac TRIBE Member

I've been to lots of places but I would highly recommend pretty much all of Southern California, Madrid, all of Scotland, and Salt Spring Island, B.C.

I'm off to Zurich in less than a month and I am hyped!!

10. IgStar

IgStar TRIBE Member

11. kmac

kmac TRIBE Member

Hahaha.

"Yeah dude, I wore a bra and brushed my teeth."

It's the best place on earth.

12. Rude1_247

Rude1_247 TRIBE Member

Where have you been? (when possible, list the cities as well as the countries)

• New Zealand
      • Aukland
      • Bay of islands (kerikeri)
      • Wanganui
      • Wellington
      • Rotoroua
      • Queenstown
      • Christchurch
      • Dunedin
      • Te Puke (heh)
      • Milford Sound
      • Timaru
    • Germany
      • Berlin
      • Munic
    • Spain
      • Barcelona
    • England
      • London
      • Guildford
      • Godalming
      • Birmingham
      • Manchester
      • Atherly
      • Great Heywood
      • Stoke-on-Trent
      • Tamworth
      • Stone
    • Ireland
      • Dublin
      • Glaway City
      • Bray
    • Scotland
      • Inverness
      • Dornoch
      • Aviemore
      • Pitlochry
    • The Bahammas
      • Cable Beach
    • United States
      • New Orleans, Louisianna
      • Orlando, Florida
      • Anchorage, Alaska
      • Juno, Alaska
    • Norway
      • Bergen
      • Stavanger
      • Kristiansand
      • Flam
    • Greneda
      • Georgetown
    • Canada
      • Newfoundland
      • New Brunswick
      • Nova Scotia
      • Quebec
      • Ontario (durrr)
      • Manitoba
      • Alberta
      • BC
      • Yukon
      • NWT
      • Nunavut

Of the places you've been, which one place would you reccomend to someone else to visit?
    • The Nahanni River - North West Territories, Canada
      • 2 weeks rafting down the river, completely out of touch with civilization, living out of a packpack and a tent. So awesome.
    • Berlin, Germany
      • A ridiculous amount of history, all in one city. You'll never run out of things to see and do during the day and the nightlife is ridiculous
    What was your worst travel experience?
    • Sharing a hostel in Munich during Oktoberfest with 6 first-year american students... spent most of what was left of the night wavering between anger and laughter as the kids in the bunk beneath us traded oral favors and dirty talk.
    • Driving through Manitoba.... wheat....wheat....wheat....silo....wheat

13. junglegirl

junglegirl TRIBE Member

:D

14. Rude1_247

Rude1_247 TRIBE Member

ha, nice wun JG ;)

Off the top of my head I think Temper Tantrum, Adam, Mephisto, and Jeffsus are at the top of the Tribe explorer list... would be interested to hear from them fore shore.

15. Muad'ib

Muad'ib Well-Known TRIBEr

so fucking jealous.

16. IgStar

IgStar TRIBE Member

pfft. nomad.

:)

17. Gizmo

Gizmo TRIBE Member

India, (all over the country)
    Nepal (Kathmandu, Chitwan)
    Sri Lanka (Columbo)
    Hong Kong
    Singapore
    UAE (Dubai, Abu Dhabi, the other 5 states)
    Oman (Muscat, Samail)
    Qatar (Doha)
    Kuwait (Kuwait City)
    Bahrain
    Saudi Arabia (Riyadh, Jeddah)
    Yemen (S'aana)
    UK (All over)
    Austria (Salzburg, Vienna)
    France (Paris, Marseilla, Caen)
    Germany (Munich and Frankfurt)
    Holland (Amsterdam, Rotterdam, The Hague)
    Egypt (cairo, luxor)
    Kenya (Nairobi)
    US (Vegas, NYC, Chicago, Miami, Florida, Memphis, Nashville)
    Nassau, Bahamas

The good:

For history, India is pretty damn hard to beat. Although Egypt was cool, but not on the same scale. Most beautiful places I've still seen are places like Kedarnath and Badrinath which are at about 2-16,000 feet on the Indian side of the Himalayas.

The Chitwan National Park in Nepal was incredible.

Samail was very pretty in Oman, and the country itself was very nice and the people friendly.

Dubai is interesting if you want to see a city and country in developmental overdrive. Cheap shopping and a very pampered holiday. But it's changed a lot from the 90s...(not necessarily for the better, imo)

Europe is well documented.

Places to avoid:

Saudi Arabia. When you're a kid, life on the compounds is great fun as they regulate themselves, and there are pools, beaches everywhere. As an adult, there is not much worth seeing there, and it's boring.

Yemen: I went for two days, and it was the scariest two days of my life. Everyone had a gun, and it was tense. This was a decade ago, and it's become worse since then I think. The country is quite beautiful though cos it's starkness.

Graceland: What a gyp. Half of the complex is off limits to you and half the house. His old plane smells of urine.

On Deck this year: Tanzania and South Africa

Last edited: Mar 14, 2006
  18. I_bRAD

I_bRAD TRIBE Member

What hotel are you at?

The speedway is worth checking out.

Also, check out the state park at the extreme south end of the beach (Ponce Inlet) Bring your swimming trunks and some charcoal and food ‘cause there’s places to do up a BBQ. Some of the best surfing in Daytona (not saying a lot though) is there.

There’s a really cool skatepark called “stone edge” if you’re into that sort of thing

Be sure to get Razzled at “Razzles” where you can drink for free (with $10 admission) until 11 or so.

19. Gizmo

Gizmo TRIBE Member

Dunno, if Tyler checks Tribe still, but his list is incredible.

20. Rude1_247

Rude1_247 TRIBE Member

Do it, dude! It's right up your alley... I think there's two different companies taking people up there these days... and they run canoe/kayak excursions as well as rafting. I think the big crew running up there is blackfeather tours. Worth looking into.

21. Rude1_247

Rude1_247 TRIBE Member

that's a DOPE list, Gizmo. Half of those places are on my wish list.

Anyone ever been to Russia?

22. SlipperyPete

SlipperyPete TRIBE Member

I travelled from St. Pete's to Irkutsk via the train in December 2004.
    Otis & Voytek have been to parts of Siberia as well.

23. Skipper

Skipper TRIBE Member

Where have I been...hmmm, there aren't that many places to list:

- Maine and other cities along the north eastern US seaboard
    - Almost every town in Nova Scotia
    - Montreal
    - never been west of Ontario in Canada
    - rural Illinois (work)
    - San Francisco briefly (work)
    - Reno and Lake Tahoe (work)
    - London, UK and surrounding areas (twice)
    - Parts of coastal france (near the channel between France and the UK)
    - Barcelona
    - Berlin
    - Munich

Best travel experience: Berlin..the only place I've ever wanted to really go back to vs anywhere else

Worst travel experience: thinking I was going to die in my hotel room on a work trip last month

24. Rude1_247

Rude1_247 TRIBE Member

I'd really love to do something like this.... For Otis & Voytek: what was the appeal? What did you do when you were there?

25. kmac

kmac TRIBE Member

People can laugh all they want but I really want to visit Thunder Bay.

Thanks to work, I've been able to see a lot more of Canada than I would see on my own. It's a pretty cool and diverse country we live in.