• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

The top 3 national anthems are:

Jeffsus

TRIBE Member
#1 New Zealand

#2 Soviet Union

#3 European Union

In that order. Rounding up the bottom is probably Japan.

-jM
A&D

Stop Bill C-10

Jeffsus

TRIBE Member
Communist national anthems are telling in their irony.

An entire verse of the Soviet anthem is talking about how the Soviet Union will last forever... well we know how that worked out.

The East German anthem:

It speaks about a unified Germany when the two countries were obviously separated.

Our own anthem:

Has a controversy surrounding the lyric "In all thy sons command" which a current parliamentarian wishes to gender neutralize the word "sons". This motion was recently passed by parliament but most people still use the word "sons".

-jM
A&D

Jeffsus

TRIBE Member
And I don't want to be mean but probably the lowest ranking anthem is Japans

As patriotic as I'm sure most Japanese are, the anthem is uninspiring and basically dull. The lyrics may be a haiku, and pay deference to the Japanese connection with nature, but I otherwise find it hard to find the anthem motivating. Judge for yourself.

-jM
A&D

Jeffsus

TRIBE Member
For a random interjection, is the national anthem of Lesotho. It's interesting for a couple reasons. It's sung in a major key and staff that is not native to Lesotho's language (Sotho a Bantu language). Perhaps for this reason the second notable thing about Lesotho's anthem is that most of their citizens do not know it -- it is mainly a political statement.

Nonetheless it is a nice and albeit quaint national anthem. It would be nicer if it had political collateral.

-jM
A&D

Jeffsus

TRIBE Member
We should pay particular attention to the Chinese anthem:

Like all anthems, it speaks to the ethos of the nation. Like most communist anthems, it is a march. It is a propagandist anthem, which reflects the Chinese government in general, calling its citizens to act in the face of danger (real or imagined). Like all communist anthems, it is rife with irony, affecting its citizens to rise up against slavery yet all Chinese citizens are burdened with governmental servitude.

Nonetheless, it's important to take note of the basic tone of this anthem and what it means in a world of China rising.

-jM
A&D

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Jeffsus

TRIBE Member
The Thai national anthem:

Is notable for its brevity. It is prototypical in its call to patriotism. It is a good example of a generic anthem, which is reflected by most countries; a call to unity, a call to patriotism, a call to family or nationhood. Note that it does not invoke a call to God as both the New Zealand anthem and Canadian anthem do, Most countries anthems fall under this category. Bland, patriotic, rather empty.

Note that the Thai king died recently, the world's longest reigning monarchy. Absence of reference to the monarchy in the Thai anthem is telling.

-jM
A&D

Jeffsus

TRIBE Member
And no discussion of national anthems is complete without reference to the Star Spangled Banner

Like many anthems, it is rife with irony. Firstly, the anthem is about an episode of the war of 1812. The Americans lost that war.

It is telling about a country whose anthem is about war -- the United States has been more or less continuously at war since Korea.

"O'er the land of the free, and the home of the brave"

Often quoted, but the land of the free has more prisoners than any other country. And in a country that is on the brink of electing someone like Trump, it's hard to say they are brave.

-jM
A&D

wickedken

TRIBE Member
Not sure about the NZ one, and the European one seems like a cheat because it's a remix of one of the greatest and most recognizable tracks in history.

I find particular fondness in terms of sentiment with USA and Soviet. Re Star Spangled Banner it's important to remember the time in which it was written, in which, of course arguably, America was the "most free" nation as long as you were considered a citizen. 1812 was a push vis-a-vis the US-UK and should be considered in light of the other conflicts in which the UK was involved at the time (Napoleon). I think it's still a great inspirational song. What's the current Russian anthem?

And... the Soviet anthem is pretty hated amongst modern Russians.

Jeffsus

TRIBE Member
Not sure about the NZ one, and the European one seems like a cheat because it's a remix of one of the greatest and most recognizable tracks in history.

I find particular fondness in terms of sentiment with USA and Soviet. Re Star Spangled Banner it's important to remember the time in which it was written, in which, of course arguably, America was the "most free" nation as long as you were considered a citizen. 1812 was a push vis-a-vis the US-UK and should be considered in light of the other conflicts in which the UK was involved at the time (Napoleon). I think it's still a great inspirational song. What's the current Russian anthem?

And... the Soviet anthem is pretty hated amongst modern Russians.

You have to give the NZ one time to grow on you.
And noted about the EU anthem... but it still is great. Many European anthems are copied pieces of classical, such as the German was written by Hayden.

The current Russian anthem still uses the same music but has different lyrics. So I'm not sure how hated it can be...

-jM
A&D

Jeffsus

TRIBE Member
ANd one for Boss Hog. The national anthem of Tanzania

This one is noteable because it is the only anthem that makes reference to its continent before making reference to its country.

"Watoto na Akrika" is Kiswahili for "Children of Afrika". I love the harmonies in this anthem. It is not a march but is typically harmonic in true east African style. It's only until the second verse that Tanzania is even mentioned, which reflects the humble nature of such an impoverished nation. "Watoto wa Tanzania".

I can listen to national anthems forever.

-jM
A&D

Jeffsus

TRIBE Member

So tonight I am drinking with a Syrian and he recognizes this anthem but has no patriotism towowards it.

All they are interested in is jamming. God bless America.

-jM
A&D

Jeffsus

TRIBE Member

Rwanda Nziza. It is the national anthem of Rwanda since 1962. Rwanda suffered from genocide in the mid 90's and so this anthem is not very popular; as it were, it has baggage.

-jM
A&D

Jeffsus

TRIBE Member

Much like the Tanazanian anthem, the South African anthem heralds Africa the continent before its own. It's a relative newcomer, only being official since 1997.

Jeffsus

TRIBE Member

Ukraine, like many former Soviet States, has an irony in their anthem.

"We will not allow others to rule in our motherland."

Particularly poignant given Russias annexation of Crimea.

-jM
A&D

Jeffsus

TRIBE Member

Well Trump want's to build a wall around this one. It's not inspiring. It's rather haphazzard. Yeah Nafta.

Its laboured.

-jM
A&D

Jeffsus

TRIBE Member
ver
Oh my, how could I have forgotten the West German National anthem.

THe first verse is verboten, but the second verse is lovely. Bluhe Deutsches Vaterland. Germany is a Fatherland, Russia is a Motherland.

Let's all sing this together.

-jM
A&D

Jeffsus

TRIBE Member
A national anthem heralds both lyrics and imagery. This is why I appropriate New Zealand's national anthem.

-jM
A^D