• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

The Today Show and Matt Lauer

Bernnie Federko

TRIBE Member
If you gotta ask, or be told, it's probably inappropriate. Why put yourself on the chopping block, it's a place to work, not a frat house party.

I cannot fathom the headache of working with someone I was making moves on. The odds that turns out anything other than disastrous are astronomical. The older I get, the more the risk professionally, and personally.

Mondieu

TRIBE Member
Don't shit where you eat.

Workplace wisdom.
The classic list of rules always apply. ...but we shouldn’t need them - professionally OR socially. It shouldn’t be an issue. Where it IS an issue, someone is - invariably - a half-wit, ill-parented, a narcissistic dick, or all three.

It starts with whispered comments, then cat-calling and progresses from there - if left un-checked. This isn’t astro-physics. It’s really so simple, it feels silly having to bring it up...

Have some decorum and a modicum if class.

JamesM

TRIBE Member
What's the correlation? Other than Alcohol and posting nonsense...
I was saying it's easy for Trump to say he's on the normal end of things when just about everyone's going down these days. Trusted, not trusted.

I'm a Lauer fan also. I always thought he was a complete pro.

Mondieu

TRIBE Member
I have a hard time with ANYONE who refers to themselves as a “fan” (see “fanatic”) - in reference to a talking-head. Television personalities that read journalistically-devoid copy about the news, spout inconsequential garbage about big retail sales events, make feel-good comments about kittens at a milk bowl and overplayed jokes about (insert appropriate holiday here) - are not in a realm that justifies my fanatisicm.

...whatever floats your boat though.

Last edited:

Mondieu

TRIBE Member
Unless you’re referring to an oscillating air-mover, “fan” is very definitely the shortened version of “fanatic”, which finds its roots in the Latin “fanum” (temple). Fanatic came into use during the 16th century as a term to describe religious zealots.

It has been argued - by some -that the term “fan” is a shortened version of “fancy” (John fancies Mary) but a quick check of any accepted dictionary clearly shows it as a shortened form of “fanatic”, its etymology being “fanum”.

I’m genuinely interested in checking your source. I’d hate to be using language out of context and will adjust my words accordingly in the future - if I’m off base here. :)

Klubmasta Will

TRIBE Member
^ Dictionary.com definition of "fanatic": the definition of fanatic:
noun
1. a person whose enthusiasm or zeal for something is extreme or beyond normal limits

Words may have common linguistic origin, while having very different meanings.

I am a fan of all kinds of music, several television shows, movies, musicians, sports teams, athletes, actors, writers, directors, choreographers, comic books, politicians, even some corporations. I'm not a fanatic of any of those things.

Mondieu

TRIBE Member
Elements of language are often reapproptiated, watered-down or intensified and improperly applied by sub-cultures. That doesn’t change the intended essence of the language itself.

“Fan” doesn’t directly relate to “fanatic”? As an example... How would you refer to thousands of people who spend millions of their hard earned $$ to religiously support a professional sports team that hasn’t won a championship in 50 years?

Feel free to embrace it and colloquialize it as you see fit. It’s a most common pursuit. ...but the origins and intentional meaning remain unaltered.

Language is key. Thanks for inspiring my long-overdue return to the study of etymology! :)

Last edited: