• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

The Today Show and Matt Lauer

Klubmasta Will

TRIBE Member
NBC News fires Matt Lauer after sexual misconduct review

This one is a big surprise, and worthy - I think - of its own thread.

My wife and I have been big Matt Lauer fans, as we watch The Today Show each and every morning. We watched this morning's breaking news of Matt Lauer's firing in disbelief.

I've been reading some of the rumours and allegations, and expect that this will be the end of Matt Lauer's career.

This is a good article that discusses the departure of a number of talented female hosts during Matt Lauer's tenure, including Ann Curry (whom we loved), Tamron Hall and Natalie Morales.

The Today show pushed out talented women. It kept Matt Lauer around for years.

I hope none of the great late night hosts will have similar falls from grace.

Klubmasta Will

TRIBE Member
Matt Lauer’s History at ‘Today’: Two Decades of Highs and Lows

^ It certainly seems that folks are using this opportunity, before details of the sexual assault allegations are reported, to pick apart Matt Lauer's career. The highlights seem to be his Tom Cruise interview, his Anne Hathaway interview, his 9/11 coverage, his grilling/interrupting of Hilary Clinton vs. his soft questions to Donald Trump, and his unfortunate handling of Ann Curry as co-anchor and then her tearful departure.

While I agree that he's had missteps, I did enjoy and appreciate his work as a journalist, interviewer and morning show co-host.

The race will be on to find his replacement. Willie Geist, Anderson Cooper, Carson Daly, Megyn Kelly, and even Ann Curry (which would be awesome) have all been mentioned in speculation.

I don't think Cooper would be able to, considering his commitments to CNN and 60 Minutes. Maybe when his career starts to wind down.

Disappointing, but yeah, never really cared for him much either. I echo the sentiment that he came off as taking himself a bit too seriously for the Today Show, but I felt that way about his predecessor Gumble too.

praktik

TRIBE Member
Surprising. Almost as surprising as Halperin but not quite.

Guess all these guys on TV have giant fucking egos, even the apparently mild mannered ones.

ndrwrld

TRIBE Member
reading about the almost divorce from his 2nd and current wife...creepy as well.
Does she bolt and take half his shit ?

JamesM

TRIBE Member
Just strange how a 1 day investigation leads to firings within the company.

nothing for 3 decades against him.

JamesM

TRIBE Member
I'm sure it's legit. but really what's going on right now and the POTUS is still taking us to nuclear warfare.

ndrwrld

TRIBE Member
Russell Simmons just stepped down after accusations of him being a fucking dirtbag have come out.