1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

The Texans are MONSTERS!!!

Discussion in 'TRIBE Main Forum' started by praktik, Sep 17, 2010.

1. praktik

praktik TRIBE Member

if you're not feeling sufficiently stabby today, read this:

Torturing Children to Protect Them From Drugs

Scott Morgan

Some would say there's a certain inherent fairness in "zero tolerance" drug policies that approach every situation with equal levels of panicked overreaction. But as this story shows, zero tolerance is nothing more than a prescription for unfathomable cruelty.

TROPHY CLUB, Texas - Administrators at Byron Nelson High School in Trophy Club suspended a 16-year-old boy on Tuesday because his eyes were bloodshot and they thought he might have been smoking marijuana.

The teen said he was not high. Instead his eyes were red because he had been grieving the loss of his murdered father.

Kyler Robertson’s father was stabbed to death on Sunday. His mother honored his wishes and let him go to school on Tuesday to be with his friends. [MyFoxdw.com]​
    Wow, that sounds pretty bad, but surely the school officials chilled out once they were made aware of the situation:

Kyler was allowed to return to class after he showed school administrators a copy of his negative test results.

The teen’s mom still wants an apology from administrators and she wants the district to remove the suspension from his permanent record. She is in the process of appealing it.

“We had other things to do this week than worry about a three day window for an appeal, a two hour window for a drug test and my son’s reputation and high school career,” she said.​
    The marijuana debate is characterized by constant conflict over whether prohibition funds drug cartels, wastes police resources, and rejects potential tax revenue. If only we could somehow measure the totality of cruel and stupid acts carried out independently on a daily basis by self-righteous morons who believe they're helping solve the drug problem by treating innocent people like trash.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2010
  2. Krzysiu

Krzysiu TRIBE Member

I read the title of this thread and assumed it was going to be about the chinese.

It's a goof... they dropped the ball and were bureaucratically insensitive... sucks for the kid but it happens. Glad it didn't besmirch his permanent record. What's more tragic is that the kid lost his father in a fatal stabbing.

3. Bumbaclat

Bumbaclat TRIBE Member

What does torture have to do with this incident?

4. praktik

praktik TRIBE Member

the mental torture of putting a grieving family through all this BS. what else?

5. ndrwrld

ndrwrld TRIBE Member

this kid is going to be on the reefer in no time.

6. Isosceles_CAT

Isosceles_CAT TRIBE Promoter

That's really unfortunate. I can't imagine how unpleasant that must have been.

But torture? Not even close.

7. praktik

praktik TRIBE Member

well let's nip this in the bud.

I dont think this case is going to the Hague - so let's all agree that "torture" was a colloquialism like the following:

- "the experience was one of "mental torture" for the family"

or alternatively:

- "enduring the "mental torture" of pointless semantic debates"

This is different from a more legal definition of torture - which thanks to Darth Cheney is now fragmented: what standard do we apply (the John Woo "pain equivalent to organ failure" definition, the UN convention against torture, the geneva conventions, or even the testimony of ex-prisoners like John McCain who argue that purely mental torture like unending solitary confinement was much worse than any physical torture he went through.

Then there's the psychological definitions of torture which also vary: with some lining up more with John Woo and others using more expansive definitions that include a lot of mental applications and techniques that when used in concert rise to the level of torture.

Here I think it was a fair term for a headline given the seriousness of the situation here. I think a friend of the family hearing the mom describe the experience as "mental torture" would be correct in not blinking an eye.

With all that said, let's move on and discuss why texans are monsters, other points in favour:
    - rewriting textbooks to question evolution
    - killing people more than any other state with the death penalty
    - being hicks

thoughts?

8. Isosceles_CAT

I would suggest that torture implies intent to cause pain or suffering.

While horribly ignorant, I don't think it was anyones intent to cause the family undue suffering. As misguided as their actions were, I think they believed they were doing 'what was best' for the child in question.

9. praktik

praktik TRIBE Member

Thats the kicker isn't it?

The world is full of well-meaning fools...:(

10. derek

derek TRIBE Member

please. they were blindly following protocol without taking the situation into consideration. if they believe that's in the child's best interest then not only are they stupid, but delussional as well.

11. Isosceles_CAT

On that we certainly agree.

12. Isosceles_CAT

Uh, yeah. Questionable spelling aside, that's pretty much it exactly.

13. Bumbaclat

Bumbaclat TRIBE Member

No, I get that they are referring to mental torture. I'm just questioning that this unfortunate misunderstanding could even reside on the same continent as mental torture.

14. Jeffsus

Jeffsus TRIBE Member

Blood shot eyes?

If someone's been toking an easy way to tell is the smell. I know a lot of tokers will claim otherwise, but the smell of weed lingers strongly on anyone who smoked, a lot like cigarettes on (tobacco) smokers. Especially in an otherwise sterile place like a school.

-jM
    A&D

15. acheron

acheron TRIBE Member

Jeff I think we're probably ok to assume that school admins clearly are not experts in the evidence of drug use, lacking your experience.

16. praktik

praktik TRIBE Member

17. unique2100

unique2100 TRIBE Promoter

School makes mistake. Mistake promptly rectified.

18. derek

derek TRIBE Member

i wonder what happens to kids with allergies? red eye, you must be puffin the cheeba, cheeba y'all.

i actually witnessed a cop go after a black kid in subway. noticed his eyes were red and started questioning if he'd be smoking up. kid was smooth, held his cool, and just commented he'd finished work and was tired. cop claimed he could smell it on him. i was standing behind the kid in line and couldn't smell jack (i can smell weed from a mile a way). kid just replied, not me you're smelling it on. cop backed off and left the kid alone.