• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

the talking heads talk: the debate thread

nawberry

TRIBE Member
I want a candidate who, instead of threatening to remove the notwithstanding clause, instead offers to pepper notwithstanding clauses throughout the Charter so that one doesn’t have to go through the whole document to find it.

silver1

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Gunark
reading this thread, it's kind of amusing to see how everyone sees what they want to see (probably including myself!)... just shows you there's really no best style for the leaders to take on for these debates... act "passionately", and half the electorate (the ones that already don't like you) will perceive you as "manic"... focus on stating your message, and a lot of viewers will say you are a bad debater...

people don't watch these debates objectively (even though we all like to think we do). Everyone goes in with preconceived notions, and then spends the hour looking for reasons to validate those notions. The best the leaders can do is show up and be careful not to say anything outrageously stupid.
Truer words have never been spoken.

nawberry

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by acheron
Layton's alright - so's Olivia - I partied with his daughter Sarah - she went to Northern Secondary School... a few years younger than me but I distinctly recall going to a party at the Layton-Chow's and sure enough Jack took me with him (I was 19) to buy booze for Sarah's birthday party or something... she was like, 17 at the time. Oh, and they definitely smoke up. At least, they did 15 years ago.
Sarah and I did a project on the Toronto Island when I was in grade 10 at Northern in Urban Studies.

I don't really remember what our goal or thesis was, we did take a video of the island, and that was about it.

If Jack is anything like his daughter then the NDP should be easy to work with, but not a scene stealer.

acheron

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by nawberry
Sarah and I did a project on the Toronto Island when I was in grade 10 at Northern in Urban Studies.

I don't really remember what our goal or thesis was, we did take a video of the island, and that was about it.

If Jack is anything like his daughter then the NDP should be easy to work with, but not a scene stealer.
Crap I almost went to Northern at the same time as nawberry! Just missed ya...

Gunark

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by AdRiaN
Uh oh ... time for everyone on Tribe to start packing up for Europe. :eek:
I for one am looking forward to a massive deficit, a new sales tax or three, and maybe a nice free trade agreement with China.

And here's to Harper's son hosting Canadian Idol in 2015!

AdRiaN

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Subsonic Chronic
A conservative government in control of Canada? We barely even made it through the Mulroney years alive. ;)
You know what's funny? In my youth during the 1980s, I actually used to hate Brian Mulroney and I especially hated free trade.

Guess that's what happens when you grow up in northern Ontario. :)

gasper

TRIBE Member
This just in... 4 out of 5 recognized political parties in Canada support

SMOKING THE MARYJUWANNAH

in small quantites :p

Colm

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Flashy_McFlash
Well there's the obvious example of the Americans reneging on the Softwood deals.
That has nothing to do with Mulroney or the late Progressive Conservative Party. This particular dispute started in 2001 when the Liberal government could not agree with the American government to extend/renegotiate the 1996 Softwood Lumber Agreement, which incidentally, was created by a Liberal government.

I didn't get to see the English or French debates, but the few reports I've noticed were fairly critical of all involved. In one's most impartial opinion, which leader did well? Who sucked? Should it be requisite that all party leaders be born in Quebec? What now for the Green Party?

Sunshyne Jones

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Boss Hog
Harper and Martin talk a lot of shit. It's not hard to tell when someone is lying or conveniently withholding something.

Looking at Harper, I see someone who says he's out for family values while really catering to big business. He'll justify it by saying that looking after big business protects the economy, which protects people. This has been proven time and time again to be faulty logic. His smirk is extremely presumptuous and arrogant, and not to be trusted. He comes off as a used car salesman.

yeah, and who's family values is he even saying he's out for? his family values don't fit with my family values!

Sunshyne Jones

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Flashy_McFlash
I hope that they physically separate. Line up every Quebecer along the border with pickaxes and break it off from Canada. Then use rockets or something so they can all go back to freaking Russia or France or wherever. They can take the Maritimes too.

hey watch it now. the maritimes don't want to join with a separated quebec!

Sunshyne Jones

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Pyeddo
Anyone ever think if Quebec separated that the US would court them?

I mean really... who would want QC... but its an interesting situation should it arise.

Oh, btw Quebec, feel free to leave... we'd just like back the hospitals, roads, water-line infastructre... etc. that came out of federal pockets.

yes, and you have to restructure / renegotiate every deal you've struck with other provinces ... especially newfoundland.

Boss Hog

TRIBE Member
So some polls highlighted by the media report that nationally Harper is TEN POINTS AHEAD while other polls (who the fuck comes up with all these varying polls?) say that the running is the SAME AS IT ALWAYS IS EVERY ELECTION with the liberals marginally ahead of the Conservatives with the NDP at the halfway point.

Who makes up these polls? I sincerely believe the media reports the polls they like and don't really reflect national sentiment.

Lysistrata

Well-Known TRIBEr
Originally posted by AdRiaN
You know what's funny? In my youth during the 1980s, I actually used to hate Brian Mulroney and I especially hated free trade.

Guess that's what happens when you grow up in northern Ontario. :)
i gre up in northern ontario. and boy did we hate mulroney. ndp family all teh way. they got less ndp after rae days wreaked havoc on our income (single income family from my mom who's a teacher.) and i think they voted liberal after that (willing to bet they're back to ndp now but i don't know for sure.) of course, it's always liberal anyway, mike brown has owned algoma from time immemorial.

in terms of bias, it's pretty necessarily true that you can never escape it: objectivity is illusory in almost every context. but that doesn't negate discussion, nor is bias a a factor of absolute power -- i TOTALLY think Jack came across as a used car salesman and a walking commerical and i'm voting for him! well, for peggy nash. but i still expect sam to win. sam's real name is sarmite, isn't that a neat name? Then again, I'm going to the all candidates meeting on Monday, and there's a green speaker so i might end up being convinced.

Lysistrata

Well-Known TRIBEr
thought I might as well post the candidates meeting info for anyone in parkdale-high park who might want to come out to one of them:

Here is your chance to question, listen and learn from the candidates standing for election in Parkdale-High Park who want to represent you in Ottawa.

West

Thursday January 12, 7:30 pm

Bishop Marrocco-Thomas Merton CHS

1515 Bloor St. W. (just east of Dundas St. W.)

Sponsored by:

Sunnyside Community Association

High Park Residents Association

South

Monday January 16, 7:30 pm

Parkdale Collegiate Institute

209 Jameson Ave (just south of Queen St. W.)

Sponsored by:

Parkdale/Liberty Economic Development Corporation

Parkdale Residents Association

Roncesvalles Macdonell Residents Association

North

Wednesday January 18, 7:30 pm

Indian Road Crescent Public School

285 Indian Road Crescent (east of Keele, south of Dundas St. W.)

Sponsored by:

Westbend Residents Association

Junction Residents Association

On January 23rd – Be sure to VOTE!

Bass-Invader

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Colm
That has nothing to do with Mulroney or the late Progressive Conservative Party. This particular dispute started in 2001 when the Liberal government could not agree with the American government to extend/renegotiate the 1996 Softwood Lumber Agreement, which incidentally, was created by a Liberal government.

I didn't get to see the English or French debates, but the few reports I've noticed were fairly critical of all involved. In one's most impartial opinion, which leader did well? Who sucked? Should it be requisite that all party leaders be born in Quebec? What now for the Green Party?
In 2001 while you can spin it as a Liberal negotiation problem, in all honesty the Americans didn't want to extend the agreement.

basilisk

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Lysistrata
thought I might as well post the candidates meeting info for anyone in parkdale-high park who might want to come out to one of them:
Wanna get hammered and ask brash questions at one of these shindigs?

Colm

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Bass-Invader
In 2001 while you can spin it as a Liberal negotiation problem, in all honesty the Americans didn't want to extend the agreement.
I think you missed the other person's post. He/She stated the Softwood Lumber issue was the fault of the Conservatives - so I pointed out that it wasn't. I didn't'spin' it as a Liberal negotiation problem, just as a problem which had nothing to do with the Conservatives, old party or new.

Vincent Vega

TRIBE Member
Man, people that actually sell used cars must have quite the inferiority complex nowadays. Are there no other groups that we can use as a benchmark insult when describing politicians???