1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

The Superstitions Thread

Discussion in 'TRIBE Main Forum' started by Stan, Aug 25, 2003.

1. Stan

Stan TRIBE Member

Well, my 4444th thread has come around, and I thought I'd commemorate it by making a thread about superstitions. In Chinese, the number "4" signifies death and bad luck. And the most unlucky number is 4444. It just makes me realize just how many superstitions I have, and how stupid many of them are. And yet many of us adhere to them to almost the point of neurosis. Like my mom is so superstitious I sometimes think she's got a form of OCD.

Oh well, that's it for my 4444th post. If I keel over dead right now, you'll know why...

2. Syntax Error

Syntax Error Well-Known TRIBEr

3. Syntax Error

4. Bumbaclat

Bumbaclat TRIBE Member

are you going to hold off on posting for awhile to keep your post count at 4444 so you don't look crazy/illiterate?

Bumbaclat

5. EyeSpy

EyeSpy TRIBE Member

I have to put my feet up over train tracks. Even if I'm driving, I still do it. And if the clock reads 1:11, 2:22, 3:33 etc, I make a wish and knock on wood.

6. Syntax Error

i have to listen to freestyle at least once a week.

7. Klubmasta Will

Klubmasta Will TRIBE Member

the number 4 is only unlucky to you weird cantonese-speaking people. :p

8. Stan

Stan TRIBE Member

Yes, yes I am.

9. Stan

Stan TRIBE Member

Actually my family speaks Hokkien (more closely linguistically related to Hakka, but a somewhat distant relative of Cantonese). Here's some examples about how superstitious my parents are about the number 4 and the number 8 (which signifies "money" or good luck). My dad specifically paid extra money so his license plate would start with "888". And we would never move into a house with a "4" in the number. Same with phone numbers.

10. mystique0217

mystique0217 TRIBE Member

well to intellectual japanese people also ;)
    number 4 means death, but it has been my lucky number personally..lol

11. Stan

Stan TRIBE Member

Some other wierd Chinese superstitions:

It's generally considered good luck if the front of the house is at a lower elevation than the rear of the house. Although you can make up for this if the rest of the house has good feng shui.

When sweeping the floor, always sweep away from the front door, so you don't sweep the money out of the house.

You're not allowed to sweep on Chinese New Year, because you're "sweeping away the luck".

If a bird shits on you, it's good luck.

Apparently, if a taxi cab driver takes a shit in your bathroom after driving you home during the Big Blackout, it's considered good luck. :confused:

One of my teachers back in Malaysia had a brother who got his name because when he was a baby, he took a piss and it split into two streams and that was considered an omen or something.

12. mystique0217

it is very understandable in japanese culture also.
    we have no 4th floor or room with number 4 at some hotels..i am not kidding. i think we have the same with number 13 here in north america sometimes??

13. Bass-Invader

Bass-Invader TRIBE Member

was his name Hydracock?

14. Syntax Error

priceless!

15. Stan

Stan TRIBE Member

Oh, if you're eating with chopsticks, NEVER leave them sticking into the bowl while there's food in there. If you wish to set them down, rest them on the side of the bowl, or laying across the top. When you leave them sticking into the food, that signifies that you're making an offering to your dead ancestors or something.

16. mystique0217

Japanese Superstitutions:

(1) if you get green tea leaves pointing up vertically, it means good luck.

(2) if you have purchase a lottery ticket and have a dream where you are being attacked by fire in the house or an appearance of snake, the chance is that you are a winner of the lottery ticket.

my dad had a dream about snake this year and also got some numbers out from his dream. we talked of his potential chance to win a lottery, but he had not purchased it by the time he dreamed of it..we just decided to keep the number for our info..and the number was exactly the same as the winning number, which we found out like 2 weeks after his dream.. :eek:

only if we managed to find the ticket with the exact number!!! lol

(3) you are not supposed to cut your finger nails during the nite. for reasons, we say that your house will get robbed if you do.

(4) you are not supposed to clean out the seed like stuff on your belly button (as a kid), cause it will take your good luck away.

(5) if you have a fat earlobe, you are going to become a rich man one day.

more to come, if i remember something funny.

17. mystique0217

the same in Japan.
    another chopstick stuff:

never to pass your food by using chopsticks with one another (i.e., you hold a piece of fried chicken offering it to another and another taking it by using the chopstick, rather than placing it on a plate first).

it sympolizes the act of putting cremented (spell) bones to a box during the funeral ceremony..so it means very bad luck.

18. Funzo

Funzo TRIBE Member

I also heard it is bad to cross your chopsticks when you put them down!

This is for the farmers - You are supposed to feed farm animals early and not disturb them on Christmas Eve because at Midnight for one minute they get the gift of speech. (it has something to do with only animals being around Jesus when he was born)

19. Stan

Stan TRIBE Member

When eating with chopsticks, it's considered bad luck (and bad manners) to cross them like a pair of scissors. And generally crossing them is bad.

20. mystique0217

it is funny how i remind myself with some superstitutions with some words that you speak..lol

(*) never send a pair of scissors or knife to friends on special occasions as gifts (b-day, christmans, wedding gifts etc).

it symbolizes that you are okay to cut off the relationship with the person.. i thought about bringing really fancy set of knives to my b.f.'s dad's house for last christmas, but my mom suggested me not to, if i was serious about the relationship! lol so i did not. lol

21. zoo

zoo TRIBE Member

Macedonian Superstitions:

[My mom and my grandparents all believe in this stuff]

If you sing at the table you will marry a gypsy.
    --> [ A gypsy is considered anyone that is not white ]

If you sit at the corner of a table you will either never marry, or never have children.

If someone steps over you [ie. you are lying on the floor], you will stop growing taller unless they step backwards over you again.

You're last piece of bread or food is lucky, if you don't eat it you will have bad luck.

If a ladybug lands on your hand, you will have guests arrive at your house shortly.

There are more, but my carpal tunnel syndrome is kicking it.

22. mystique0217

this superstution is something that i learned what my mom created in the order to train me clean washroom with my will as a kid:

if you do not clean your washroom regularly and maintain it all shiny, you will not have pretty babies.

i was told of this as a kid, so i cleaned the washrooms in the house pretty frequently taking its initiative and such..

i used to hang around this girl who was not so pretty in my opinion, and her house used to have the dirtest toilet ever.
    so it was assuring me how i was supposed to clean washroom a lot so that my future babies will be all pretty ;)

but none of my friends from Japan have heard of this, so I think that my mom created this in the order to train me..lol

good hygene is important to mental and physical health though :)

23. Stan

Stan TRIBE Member

Okay, I dunno if this is superstition, neurotic or just plain craziness, but in my house, we have these dual-position light switches. And for me, they *have* to always be in the right position. Like if I notice that they're in the wrong position (one up instead of down and the other one down instead of up), I'll walk up the stairs and switch one, and then walk down and switch the other, just to get them right.

24. chooch

chooch TRIBE Member

if you drop cutlery it symbolizes someone will be visiting your home...a knife is a man, a fork a woman and a spoon a child.

25. Harmonika

Harmonika TRIBE Member

Funny that this is mentioned - I was just pondering that number.

I'm big on numerology, Cabalistics to be precise (lookitup).

If you take the digits for tomorrow, and add them up sequentially:

08/27/2003

8+2+7+2+3 = 22

then,

2+2 = 4

Which means that I would not want to be in certain people's shoes tomorrow, 'nuff said.

Did you also know that most people tend to associate black with death, but that the real colour of death is purple? I did a little think, and here's what I've come up with so far:

Green - Women, Mother Earth, Renewal

Brown - Original Man, Working The Soil, Good Health

Red - Love, The Heart, Passion

Yellow - The Sun, Admiration, Happiness

Blue - Water, Life, Royalty

Purple - Death, Injury, Cessation

Black - Night, Evil (whatever the hell that means), The Void

So, I guess tomorrow would be a good day to take cover - that is, if you believe in that sort of thing. Which I don't. And just to prove it, I think I'll go walking around Jane/Finch with $100 bills hanging out of my pockets, wearing purple fishnet stockings and a sequined blue mini-skirt, with a red bowtie and a big sign that says "KICK ME" on my back. Oh yeah, and I'll have to remember to carry around a six foot steel rod, just in case there's lightning again.

NOT!

:rolleyes:

i.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2003