• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

The Sony Blues

Snuffy

TRIBE Member
So, a month before GTA V came out, my PS3 bricked. I'd buy a new one, but the HDMI ports on my Sony TV are fried. I can only use component. While the old PS3 supports component, the new slim version will downgrade BluRay movies to standard definition. So I searched for an old used 2010 PS3. It turns out these are in high demand because the old units are backwards compatible. Buying used costs about the same as buying new.

But all the used ones have the same glitch. I have reservations on shelling out $200 for a machine that is destined to brick.

And thus I buy nothing.

No Grand Theft Auto V.

Sigh.

Vise

TRIBE Member
How much are the older PS3 units going for? I have a close to first gen 80gb model that I'd consider selling, could put the funds towards a PS4. Hmm.

Snuffy

TRIBE Member
How much are the older PS3 units going for? I have a close to first gen 80gb model that I'd consider selling, could put the funds towards a PS4. Hmm.
Fat units are selling for $180 at retailers. A new slim model costs a mere $200.

I may just pick up the slim anyway. Games will still output 1080i through component. It's only BluRay that I'd be missing out on until I get the TV's HDMI input fixed.

Snuffy

TRIBE Member
So! I buy a new one. Game looks beautiful. Yay!

Then, about 2 hours into play, the music stops - but I can still keep playing. Then I reach my destination, and nothing happens. And I can hear the device working overtime reading the disc. Take the disc out... there's a deep circular groove in the disc. I suspect the laser mechanism brushed it while reading the disc.

So, that's 3 Sony devices on the fritz now. Lets hope EB Games has a good return policy.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories