• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

The Song That Started It All

beatjunkie

TRIBE Member
So I am bored at work and was listening to the song that played a key role in my love for Progressive House.

Satoshi's - Love in Traffic (Original)

There may be another thread simular to this but why not start something new in this forum......what was yours? Not necessarily the first but the most influencial.

Last edited:

Special K

TRIBE Member
gu 13

not really a song, but rather a mixed compilation

listening to sasha's gu 13 is what started the evolution in my musical tastes, I went from listening to pussy trance + disco house + and yes even hard house :eek: to some deeper/prog-trancier tunes

but a Lawler set @ Element Bar is what REALLY did it for me with progressive house music...i can still remember him closing out his set with *hide u* into *dark and long* into *raincry*

after that night it was/still is all about the dope, deep, dark and twisted beats!

:eek: :eek: :eek:

coleridge

TRIBE Member
John Digweed's Sydney GU and Max Graham's Delicate Sound of Many were the mixes that really got me going that direction.

Nesta

TRIBE Member
sasha san fran. i was a hardcore junglist up until that point. i was both confused and blown away by the sounds i was hearing. myka recommended i buy it back at ebloc.

william orbit's remix of morgan king's 'i'm free' is the track that sucked me in.

Rowghani

TRIBE Member
ya not a song but comp

Digweed LA GU disc 1......oh god, so many good tracks i think i creamed my pants 13 times.......love in traffic was on it, so was madam penetration and the first track that still trips me out......

my favorite STILL!!!

BYE

REZA

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

deep

TRIBE Member
I'd have to say that Parks & Wilson's Essential Mix was the first coherent piece of "progressive house" that turned me onto the sound.

Up until then I was still identifying with and listening to what more characterized the rave scene between 94-98 (i.e. trance, acid trance/techno, techno).

Of course, it's inevitable that during this time, you'd hear people like Sasha and Digweed or others associated with progressive today, but I don't think before 1999-2000 I would have considered them different from trance per se.

I guess what I'm saying is that P&W's essential mix basically made me create a new mental model for progressive house and the sounds that would fall under it as an overarching idea.

Rentboy or Gizmo can tell you back in 98-99, I was quite vocally saying I did not like how it seemed as though people once associated with producing or spinning "trance" were moving towards the then burgeoning dark and percussive progressive house sound. Haha.

Last edited:

Special K

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Rowghani
ya not a song but comp

Digweed LA GU disc 1......oh god, so many good tracks i think i creamed my pants 13 times.......love in traffic was on it, so was madam penetration and the first track that still trips me out......

my favorite STILL!!!

BYE

REZA
yea that was around the time I saw Lawler for the first time

Dj So Smooth told me to listen to it and I did, as soon as I heard Apollo Vibes kick in I was like whaaaaaaaaaat!

loved *Musica* off that disc too...

this thread is making me want to listen to all of my old GU's now but I cant cause I lent them all out to a friend!

:mad:

smack

TRIBE Member
Tough question. But all those mixes from Paul Oakenfolds Essential Mix tour back in 98 or 99 are what got me into this. And its grown from there.

chipotle

Well-Known TRIBEr
mmm, probably oakey oslo...then followed by digweed sydney then by san fran.!

those were amazing days of what seemed to me untapped wicked music by many...

djcheezwhiz

TRIBE Member
i would have to say northern exposure...although it didn't pull me into the music entirely, similar to nesta i was going through a huge d&b phase...gradually through listening to bt ima , renaissance (which i hated when i bought it up in montreal) and gatecrasher (red, blue are still classics) comps i moved into the trancey/prog house phase of my musical journey...but ne brought a new appreciation for this sound...my friends and myself called it the northern exposure sound, didn't really label it anything else...

however in retrospect, i look through some older compilations including totally tranced & reactivate 3, kaos theory (a comp of breaks, rave & early trance) which i own and many of the tracks on these mixes are the early routes of progressive...these comps date back to 92/93...so it's tough to really pinpoint one song, but it's rather been a long & steady evolution...

i actually thought the gu series was another mediocre mix series until i persuaded myself to pick up gu9...a nice treat :D

but now i'm into progressive country...

jc

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

djcheezwhiz

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by smack
Tough question. But all those mixes from Paul Oakenfolds Essential Mix tour back in 98 or 99 are what got me into this. And its grown from there.
haha...mansun - wide open space - perfecto mix...my friend played this in his car non stop (it may have been an oakie cream mix though i can't remember)..

lush191

TRIBE Member
Sander K

For me the disc that 'did it'--got me into prog house was Sander Kleinenberg's Nubreed. To this day I would have to say the Satoshi Tomiie's NUbreed is by far the best out there. Still one of my favs.

smack

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by djcheezwhiz
haha...mansun - wide open space - perfecto mix...my friend played this in his car non stop (it may have been an oakie cream mix though i can't remember)..
hahah John you just gave me a flashback. I use to sing that song at the top of my lungs in the car. Maybe I shouldn't be admitting this :)

deep

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by smack
but wouldn't you consider stuff from that era more trance than a predecessor to what progressive house is today?

I too really liked his sets around 96-99 i.e. sydney 99

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

Rowghani

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Special K
yea that was around the time I saw Lawler for the first time

Dj So Smooth told me to listen to it and I did, as soon as I heard Apollo Vibes kick in I was like whaaaaaaaaaat!

loved *Musica* off that disc too...

this thread is making me want to listen to all of my old GU's now but I cant cause I lent them all out to a friend!

:mad:
hey special K, i saw lawler for the first time @ kool haus i thikn it was two years ago. U remember when satoshi and lawler spun for the jet to ibiza party? i have to say, it wasn't that packed, but music wise, that was one of the best night for me. There was this guy who opened for them, this big black dude, apparently resident @ gatecrasher or something, not sure. but he set the bar really hi that night, and then lawler played sooooooooooooo well.....ill never forget his opening track, it shot chills up my spine....great dj and excellent choice ;)

take care
reza

Kalemic

TRIBE Promoter
For me it was a comp that got me into progressive house as well, although back then I didn't even know what house or progressive house was, hell barely even knew what techno was. All I knew was that I liked electronic music better then anything else. So I used to go the import section and grab stuff that had a cool cover or name on it. I ended up with lots of shit, but the one that grabbed me the most at the earliest time was "John Digweed's - Renaissance The Mix Collection II " it was expensive then but the guy at the store assured me it was worth it (damn he was right).

Kalemic

TRIBE Promoter
Originally posted by Kalemic
For me it was a comp that got me into progressive house as well, although back then I didn't even know what house or progressive house was, hell barely even knew what techno was. All I knew was that I liked electronic music better then anything else. So I used to go the import section and grab stuff that had a cool cover or name on it. I ended up with lots of shit, but the one that grabbed me the most at the earliest time was "John Digweed's - Renaissance The Mix Collection II " it was expensive then but the guy at the store assured me it was worth it (damn he was right).
For me it was a comp that got me into progressive house as well, although back then I didn't even know what house or progressive house was, hell barely even knew what techno was. All I knew was that I liked electronic music better then anything else. So I used to go the import section and grab stuff that had a cool cover or name on it. I ended up with lots of shit, but the one that grabbed me the most (looking back now that I know its progressive house) at the earliest time was "John Digweed's - Renaissance The Mix Collection II " it was expensive then but the guy at the store assured me it was worth it (damn he was right). But I never really learned who John Digweed was till years later. :eek:

sohaness

TRIBE Member
There was this guy who opened for them, this big black dude, apparently resident @ gatecrasher or something, not sure.
im pretty sure he was a resident from space ibiza.

steve.

Special K

TRIBE Member
hey special K, i saw lawler for the first time @ kool haus i thikn it was two years ago. U remember when satoshi and lawler spun for the jet to ibiza party? i have to say, it wasn't that packed, but music wise, that was one of the best night for me. There was this guy who opened for them, this big black dude, apparently resident @ gatecrasher or something, not sure. but he set the bar really hi that night, and then lawler played sooooooooooooo well.....ill never forget his opening track, it shot chills up my spine....great dj and excellent choice ;)

take care
reza
that was jonathan ulysses (sp) opening up things that night...

a ressie @ space in ibiza

and yea that was a fun night too!

best part of the night for me

when lawler dropped freeform five - perspex sex (ewan pearson mix)

WHAT!

:eek: :eek: :eek:

fucking lawler. always does it to me.

:D

mandapanda

TRIBE Member
hmmm...

trackwise: probably a toss-up between trisco - muzak and bedrock - voices (the slacker remix). i was living in london at the time and heard them out and HAD to find what they were. before that, i was all over the uk hard house and trance ;)

compilation: sander k - tranceglobal airways (think that's the name)...best mixmag cd ever :D

yes, that is what i would say got me into it and look what happened.

bryanwayne

TRIBE Member
exclusivly listened to house music until........

3 drives on vinyl- greece 2000

I actually heard this on a Carl Cox disc and then again
at by far my most moving musical experience.

Sasha & Digweed -Guv- Canada Day Party.
July 1 @ 5:00am (ish) digweed stepped up to the decks
and layed down the best set I've ever heard.

started to research Sasha & Digweed, it turns out
they are quite good.

the result of that night is two decks, a cd mixer, 700 progressive
records and one corker of a headache. life is grand:)

bh

deep

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by bryanwayne
exclusivly listened to house music until........

3 drives on vinyl- greece 2000
great tune, liked the lost tribe vs. miro mix the best .

on the gatecrasher black compilation, the second disc had a killer series of tracks at the time including this one

smack

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by deep
but wouldn't you consider stuff from that era more trance than a predecessor to what progressive house is today?

I too really liked his sets around 96-99 i.e. sydney 99
Yeah, some of the stuff might be considered trance. But there was also alot of stuff he played that was "progressive" (and I'm not talking about dark and boring stuff. I mean tracks that went somewhere and were actually well put together.) Whatever you want to call it the bottom line is that his stuff was easily accessible to listeners and I guess that is why I, you and many others picked up on it.

zoo

TRIBE Member
deep dish's remix of dusted - "always remember to honour and respect your mother pt 1" was one of the first tracks that pulled me from trance towards progressive

actually if you consider james holden - horizons prog and not trance, then that

although at the time i saw it as a wicked deeper trance track, nothing more