1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

the Soccer News/Transfers thread

Discussion in 'Sports' started by -Mercury-, Jun 23, 2003.

1. -Mercury-

-Mercury- TRIBE Member

with Real wrapping up "la Liga" this weekend, all major european league action is done for the year, so
    i figured since we have more than a few of us on here who follow futebol quite seriously, it would be good to have a thread for all offseason news/rumours/transfers

that way we could keep up to date on all things previously mentioned (all in one thread)

i'll kick it off with todays news, ........no sooner than 24 hrs. after Real won their 29th Spanish title they fired their coach, Del Bosque.

the bar is set very high in madrid, when you spend that much cash you expect to win everything!!!

the leading candidate (for this dream job) is said to be the #2 man at ManYoo, Carlos Queiroz
    who was brought in one year ago to potentially be Fergie's replacement some day.

and barcelona has apperantly dropped out of the bidding war going on to pick up Ronaldhino,....... left in the running are the two richest clubs in the world, ManYoo & Real :eek:

could Real possibly add Beck's, a new coach and Ronnie(2) all in one offseason??? thats fucking crazy!!

good news also from my fav. club - Benfica

who have signed their coach, (macho) Camacho, and also added Portugal's #1 keeper to the club, Ricardo.
    the're also trying to pick up on loan, "Junior" (a brazilian LB) from Parma

and said that none of their young stars would be sold this offseason, so i'm hoping they can make a decent run in the Champions league this upcoming season.

so Nesta, what can you tell me about Junior?
    and what else is going on over in Italy??

2. rentboy

rentboy TRIBE Member

great idea Tone.

-Dutch legend Frank Rijkaard is the new Barcelona coach.

-Cameroon sensation, Geremi says he isn't returning to Middlesboro next season...Man Yoo want him... He looks to be returning to Real Madrid (the club that loaned him out)...the guy is impressive...very strong, surging midfielder with a keen eye for goal.

-my boys Liverpool are looking to extend Stevo Gerrard's contract...and player of the year (and my fave pool boy) Danny Murphy says he wants to stay at the Pool for life....big up!

more to come....

3. MARCin

MARCin TRIBE Member

news from arsenal:
    seaman is out, about time in my opinion.
    inter wants pires
    barca wants henry(unlikely imo)
    and arsenal wants kewell and mexes, but won't get abbiati from milan.. more later

4. voytek

voytek TRIBE Member

Hey, did you hear? Beckham is gonna live next to Rod Stewart or some shit like that. Or was it Barbra Streisand? Some villa down in the Spanish Riviera where the girls (and now Becks) roam topless. One more reason to re-visit the beaches there. Fucking topless Beckham yo!

5. -Mercury-

-Mercury- TRIBE Member

^^^^

he'll be getting himself a great tan in the near future, no doubt.

Tottenham - the spurs are said to be in the final stages of signing 20 yr old portuguese striker Helder Postiga (Postigol!) in a reported 12 mil euro move

(this is a great signing btw, and i'm glad that it's to a decent club like the spurs)

i think postiga and robbie keane will form a very formidible strike force for the next few years

this kid is the best striker to come out of portugal in my lifetime, and i had figured Euro 2004 would be his coming out party to the world, but it looks like europe will get a sneak peak this season. ;)

6. -Mercury-

-Mercury- TRIBE Member

Olympique Lyonnais & Cameroon midfield player Marc-Vivien Foé died on Thursday after a suspected heart attack during his country's FIFA Confederations Cup semi-final against Colombia.

Foé, who spent last season on loan at Manchester City FC in England, was carried off on a stretcher after collapsing ten minutes from the end of the match at the Stade Gerland, won 1-0 by Cameroon. It is believed his heart stopped after he was taken from the pitch.

----------------------------------------------------

wow, he should have been near his physical peak, (he was 28) and just like that, he's dead. :(

i guess they'll be doing an autopsy in an attempt to learn why/how this happened.

meanwhile the fire sale at Leeds continues - Paul Robinson (future long-term holder of the #1 England jersey) is on the move to join his old boss, David O'Leary at Aston Villa
    for the bargain price of 2,75 mil. pounds.

7. MARCin

MARCin TRIBE Member

^^^RIP :(

8. voytek

voytek TRIBE Member

ahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!

fox sports news transfer rumour no. 1: Raul as a two-year loaner to ManU! Yeah, I don't see that happening either, but that would be some pretty fucked up season next year, no? 747 indahouse!

That superdude from Pele's Santos, who are the Copa Libertadores finalists along Boca Juniors (Boca ahead 2:0 after home game), is going to Barca next year, which is well exciting for me 'cause his footwork is amazing. (can't recall his name -Tony, Santos site is in Porkencheese, hook it up...)

9. voytek

voytek TRIBE Member

oh, yeah, and that's well fucked about that death on the field - i saw it today. France offered to forfeit the confederation Cup to Cameroon, which I thought was awesome, and Henry was bawling, which was sad.

10. Colm

Colm TRIBE Member

I think United, Arsenal or the Pool (maybe Chelsea and Newcastle too) should be after brazilian sensation, Robinho. This guy will be the next Rivaldo - if not better.
    The pool are rumoured to be after Sam Eto'o and willing to sacrifice Milan Baros - a really stupid move in my opinion - baros is settled and looks to be a great investment. Eto'o should replace Emile "the mule" Heskey.

Tottenham got Postiga - great

My hammers, after losing most of the team due to relegation, are talking about picking up pensioner Rob lee....

My prediction for the premier surprise is Aston Villa - if O'Leary can keep his head and play Angel & Vassel - there will be many a ravaged defence in England!!

11. Nesta

Nesta TRIBE Member

junior is a good midfielder. he's quick, he's a good passer, and he he can win lost balls. he gets stuck in!

inter have shown interest in figo, but who knows what will happen know that queiroz has been hired.

parma have signed japanese midfield sensation shunsuke nakamura from reggina, and he will join hidetoshi nakata in the parma midfield.

i think a lot of teams are eyeing adrianno from parma and brazil. the player belongs to inter, but he wants to remain at parma where he has formed a great striking duo woth romanian ace adrian mutu.

can you tell i'm a parma supporter?

more to come.

great thread!

12. rentboy

rentboy TRIBE Member

oh shit!

RIP...

Foe was a wicked player :(

13. JMan

JMan TRIBE Member

I'm excited about the Gunners - Harry Kewell, and now Patrick Kluivert is talking about wanting to move to London from Barca. They'd better not run out of cash for a keeper and a central defender tho.

JMan

14. Sugar D

Sugar D TRIBE Promoter

:( very sad. City is going to retire his number, which I applaud as it is a great tribute to a great player.

R.I.P.

15. voytek

voytek TRIBE Member

yes

16. -Mercury-

-Mercury- TRIBE Member

i didn't find the site, but i think it's safe to say that the guy you're talking about is indeed "Robinho". he would be a good fit for barcelona, and he could possibly play an important part in helping barca return to the days of actually challenging Real for the spanish title.

Nesta, thanks for the info on Junior. he'll be lining up as a left-back for Benfica and along with the Ricardo (GK) signing means Benfica has really taken steps to improve their club this summer.

17. voytek

voytek TRIBE Member

yeah, it is Robinho, ooops... :eek: And he's going to Barca most very likely...

18. Nesta

Nesta TRIBE Member

word is man u and real madrid are battling it out for ronaldinho.

wtf are real madrid thinking?

19. Colm

Colm TRIBE Member

It seems unlikely Ronaldinho will go to Madrid - especially since his brother/agent is talking to ManU's cheif executive about a deal. If he did end up at the Bernabeu, expect Morientes, McManaman, Geremi & Guti to be shipped out. If Guti left, Id hope an English team signed him - the spanish never succeed in Italy.

Robinho "UberPele"- I would put millions on a move to Barca or another Spanish team... but one should never rule out France.

Kluivert as a Gunner?? He should replace Bergkamp - and in terms of goalies - what about Stuary Taylor??? He's obviously talented enough, but I suspect his ability to organise the defence is lacking. Kewell would be an awesome signing, but who will make space for him? Look for Kanu or Pennant to leave (both due to a lack of first team playing opportunity)

I am looking forward to Liverpool's summer aquisitions - Steve Finnan will provide more cover, especially since Babbel is nearly beyond comingback and Carragher could move into Central D if Henchoz or Hyypia continue their poor form. Liverpool desperately need a better partner for Owen and a creative midfielder to help out Cheyrou & Diouf. They will finish 2nd this upcoming year, Gunners Third and (going on a limb) Newcastle or United for 4th or 1st!

20. rentboy

rentboy TRIBE Member

seems that Foe wasn't feeling good for days leading up to the game.

And the manager even said that he tried to substitute him moments before he collapsed.

mental.

21. Colm

Colm TRIBE Member

At least he died doing the thing he loved!

22. Nesta

Nesta TRIBE Member

amen.

23. Colm

Colm TRIBE Member

kewell to liverpool?
    Ronaldinho to united?
    No one to Arsenal?

Stam to AC?

24. -Mercury-

-Mercury- TRIBE Member

Fernando Hierro has come out and said that he won't be wearing a jersey of any other teams in spain next year. so the leading candidate's appear to be Benfica :) or a move across the pond to mexico?

his close ties with Jose Antonio Camacho (benfica coach) who was a former Spain & Real coach, could be enough to tempt Hierro into playing in portugal.

although he's clearly lost a step, he would be a great leader and organizer at the back for the Lisbon side.

Deportivo La Corunha appear to be the favorites to land the exciting young portuguese star (and Figo's understudy out on the right wing of the portuguese nats) Ricardo Quaresma (sporting)

25. rentboy

rentboy TRIBE Member

interesting to watch Leeds dismantle...

seems that both Kewell and Viduka seem likely to leave.

Kewell has about 6 teams chasing him...and Viduka could well be on his way to Barcelona.

If this happens, i can't see Leeds surviving next season...