• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

The Serato Tips and Tricks thread

dj_soo

TRIBE Member
Yeah, I have the SL1 already, but Im seeing less and less use for Turntables or CDJs if youre just playing tracks off the laptop anyway.

I could live with using a mixer, I guess its just replacing the Turntables etc...
if you want to go all-controller based and ditch the TTs/CDJs but want to stick with serato software then maybe selling the SL1 and getting a VCI-300 or an NS7?

Otherwise, there's always Traktor or Torq. Live isn't really the best option if you want to go strict laptop+controller based. Itch is supposed to be proprietary for licensed controllers (of which there are only two) and maintains Live's ease of use, layout, and functionality, but designed to be controlled only by controllers.

dj_soo

TRIBE Member
basically i'm saying if you want to get a VCI-300, you should get one and it comes with Itch and that's pretty much all you need :)

RumRogerz

TRIBE Member
for midi triggering - does anyone use any controllers with live? I was thinking of getting a small box to create a faster workflow during my mixes - i just don't know what do get.
I've looked at the A&H 1D but for what you get; i would feel ripped off.

RumRogerz

TRIBE Member
^^
Sorry, i should also mention that i am not planning on relinquishing my turntables for this endeavour. This is more of an accessory to trigger/set loop points/cues, scrubbing, playlist scrolling, etc.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

gl*tch

TRIBE Member
I'm trying out 1.9 and I'm also considering a midi controller, gonna try my Trigger Finger tonight....

RumRogerz

TRIBE Member
Trigger Finger doesn't have what i'm looking for. I need something with a few knobs and an assload of buttons with maybes a jog wheel to browse through my crates/folders

Thunder

TRIBE Member
Apologies if this has already been asked but where can I find a power adaptor for the box, futureshop???

xtcfreak

TRIBE Member
I don't recommend the VCI-300 as it is very limited (for the price). It is a two channel mixer with three band eq and some loops. I will say however , that the jog and the pitch are spot on. I was not to keen on the faders as they were not very precise as well as the headphone volume was way to low.

I sold my unit a few months ago, so maybe a fix has been released for some of these issues since then.

For someone who just wants to mess around, I guess it would be a fine unit.

Jay

tribe magazine legacy photo exhibit

dj_soo

TRIBE Member
- plug it in w/ whatever drivers are needed
- launch serato
- press the Midi button.
- select the item on-screen you want to control,
- press the corresponding control on the trigger finger.

It's fairly basic and easy, but lacking in some more advanced midi features.

[- FuNKtiOn -]

TRIBE Member
I was hoping someone could shed some insight regarding best practices with switching over the turntables to your setup from another Serato setup.

assuming I'm following another dj who is playing on their own Serato setup, I'd have to unhook the deck and the ground from their Serato setup, switch it to mine, and then plug the RCA already to the mixer. Then once I've started my first tune I unhook their Right Deck and Ground from their Serato box to mine, swap the RCAs.

is that the best way to go about it? or is there any other way to make it smoother and know that both channels are ready to go once I take over?

also: anyone else using the Novation Dicers? anyone come up with any best practices or good purposes for using the assignable buttons? wondering if there is a way to assign them as buttons to scroll through my playlist and select tunes so I can spend even less time with my hands on the laptop.

dj_soo

TRIBE Member
Best way is to show up early, let him use your box and then you don't have to do an annoying switchover in the middle of the night.

but barring that, yea, basically unhook the side he isn't using, set it up with your box and laptop, mix, then set up the other side.

I use Dicers and an LPD8 nowadays. Yes, you can assign buttons to scrolling through libraries, choosing crates, etc. I don't use my assignable pages much just because I don't like leafing through a bunch of different pages if I don't have to.

Things you can assign that might work: Instant Doubles, SP-6 Sample triggers, FX on/off, key lock on/off, loop in/loopout, reverse, whatever you like to use that only takes a one button press...

[- FuNKtiOn -]

TRIBE Member
yeah I'm playing an event where I will be the 4th dj on, so just arriving early wont be an option.
the only other times I've used Serato live I was able to set my box up before the night started, or had time between sets (another guy was playing on cdjs) to plug my computer into the Serato box of the guy playing before me and then giving it the minute or two to load the drivers or whatever the deal is when you plug your laptop into a new box before it can play.
but in this case I don't think there will be a cdj on the stage that I could even play off while the Serato got set even if they did have a communal Serato box set up. I just hate the thought of having to deal with grounds and whatnot mid show, but I guess this is the catch to rocking the laptop eh? no more the plug and play of vinyl and cd's.

Last edited:
tribe magazine legacy photo exhibit

dj_soo

TRIBE Member
grounds should be plugged into the mixer so you shouldn't have to worry about it.

To be honest, any event worth its salt should have a box setup already just due to the widespread use of serato these days - maybe talk to the promoter and see if you can get that set up ahead of time...

dj_soo

TRIBE Member
if you're on a mac, you don't hve to worry about drivers - if you're on a pc, I recommend installing all the relevant drivers ahead of time anyway...

[- FuNKtiOn -]

TRIBE Member
the grounds don't have to be actually attached to the Serato box specifically? so as long as the decks are grounded (even if just to the mixer) it should still work just hooking the rcas?

also, any idea what the easiest way to download every single driver for every Serato box so that it doesnt have to do the calibration ish would be? although in this upcomnig case to avoid dead air I'll still need to have a cdj or hook my box in while the dj before me's last tune is playing, but in the long run I could see it being much easier just knowing my laptop will be cool with other Serato boxes.

dj_soo

TRIBE Member
[- FuNKtiOn -];4509570 said:
the grounds don't have to be actually attached to the Serato box specifically? so as long as the decks are grounded (even if just to the mixer) it should still work just hooking the rcas?
correct

in terms of drivers for PC, all the drivers come with the install package of serato, but you still have to individually install them per device (i.e. SL1, SL3, 57, 68, etc.) which usually comes up when you plug each device in... It's just always better to make sure everything is installed ahead of time just in case...

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders