• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

The Serato Tips and Tricks thread

Matt Carl

TRIBE Member
Phat Trick said:
anyone have any tips/warnings for buying an external HD to run with serato? Is it cool to use a portable HD that's powered by usb or should I get a fancy HD that has a separate power supply and uses firewire?
The laptop that I use is a macbook, if that matters.
i went to one of the shops along college, got an 80 gb HD for $40 and a usb enclosure for $50, which has it's own power supply, and i use it with serato all the time...

you can also use your ipod the same way, we have played off my ipod on serato a couple times and it's just a shitty 2gb nano

i recommend a laptop HD in an enclosure, that way you don't need external power if you want real reliability in a small package

dj_soo

TRIBE Member
Some tips on using SSL as your library manager:

Editing multiple files simultaneously:

1. Highlight the files you want to edit.
2. Double click on the field you want to edit (careful, there's no undo option).
3. Type in what you want to be placed on all the files.
4. Press return/enter
5. All files will switch to whatever you wrote.

Doubling/halving BPMs:

1. Select the tune you want to adjust BPMs.
2. Hold the Alt key and press the Up Arrow Key to double or the Down Arrow Key to halve.
3. Press return/enter
4 Note: you can use the above method to double/halve multiple files simultaneously.

Using iTunes and Serato:

Most people hate iTunes (especially windows users), but there's an incredibly powerful tool for managing large amounts of files with the Smart Playlists feature.

With the Smart Playlist, you can basically automate you library/playlist management based on keywords in your metadata tags (close to 40 tags to play with). You can combine the criteria however you want (and you can even utilize existing playlists as criteria as well) leading to a wholey cutsomizable set of auto-sorting playlists. Saves a ton of time when not having to manually drag and drop files to the playlists and/or crates for every new tune added.

For instance, lets say you want a specific playlist that only includes reggae tracks from the 90s that are between 100 and 110 BPM. You can set it so that any track in your library that is tagged with a 90s year, with the genre set as reggae, and with the bpm tagged as 100 and 110 will appear in your playlist automatically.

For a detailed tutorial, check here:

http://www.dummies.com/WileyCDA/DummiesArticle/id-2384.html

Note: If you're using iTunes in conjunction with an external drive, make sure you *never* launch iTunes without your external connected. Otherwise, you'll have to re-scan all your tags (highlight your library, cmd/apple-i, press return/enter) or your tracks won't appear in Scratch Live.

gl*tch

TRIBE Member
Question:

I have cue points and loops associated w/ files on my laptop. How do I ensure that when I transfer these files to my buddy's comp that they stay intact? Do I need to transfer the associated hidden serato folder?

dj_soo

TRIBE Member
^ all info is saved directly onto the mp3 file. No hidden files to transfer.

Actually if you build your crates from the tracks in your external, all your crates will appear in your buddy's crate list too.

gl*tch

TRIBE Member
really? so all overview, cue/loop info is saved into the file itself and moves with it? I'll have to try this again. I recall doing it once a while back and losing all that info on a friends comp - but it was intact on mine. Perhaps it was a PC>MAC error?

Kid Epic

TRIBE Member
will serato scratch software work with external soundcards? i have a RME Fireface 800 and cdj100s... can i run serato without it's dedicated box?

RumRogerz

TRIBE Member
hey guys - maybe you can help me out

just got serato and have been noodling around with it for a bit.
I find that i can't trigger the cue points for my tracks without holding the shift key to do so. I didn't do this before.
ANy ideas why this happened, or how i can fix this?
Much appreciated

dj_soo

TRIBE Member
hey guys - maybe you can help me out

just got serato and have been noodling around with it for a bit.
I find that i can't trigger the cue points for my tracks without holding the shift key to do so. I didn't do this before.
ANy ideas why this happened, or how i can fix this?
Much appreciated
In your setup screen, click on the Playback tab and uncheck "playback keys use shift"

Chiclet

TRIBE Promoter
I don't care, but if you hate trainspotters, there's and anti-trainspotting feature.

I think this is how it goes: Click the BPM area and type DJ AM and the display will no longer show the track names of the tracks you're playing (except when you run your cursor over it).

I think you do the same to turn it off...

dj_soo

TRIBE Member
I don't care, but if you hate trainspotters, there's and anti-trainspotting feature.

I think this is how it goes: Click the BPM area and type DJ AM and the display will no longer show the track names of the tracks you're playing (except when you run your cursor over it).

I think you do the same to turn it off...
just have to type AM no "DJ" required.

dj_soo

TRIBE Member
another easter egg:

if you're on 1.8.3 (latest full release) you can implement the Loop-Roll easter egg by creating a new crate, titling it "this is how I roll" and then triggering it with Ctrl-Alt (or Apple-Alt on mac) and numbers 1-5 for the left deck and 6-0 on the right deck.

This creates an effect similar to the loop roll on a pioneer which stutters out the track when implemented and then leave the track to where it would if it had been playing all along once the key is released.

To avoid having to create a new crate with every launch, just save a file in the crate.

If you're using the 1.9 beta though, this is already implemented by default.

Wiseman

TRIBE Member
It's definately a cool feature. I haven't tried it with serato but I've been using it with Torq for a while now.

Don C

TRIBE Member
The loop roll is cool!

I'm using the 1.9 beta right now, and there is a new midi-assignable knob that lets you scroll through different loop lengths, which is a nice addition.

There is also a little sampler built in, with six slots. Just drag and drop a sample from the location on your computer, and you can trigger it over either, or both virtual decks. Now I just need some machine gun and air horn samples, like DJ Starting From Scratch...

gl*tch

TRIBE Member
so i made a crate, got the loop roll enabled msg, but I can't get it to trigger at all.
help me internet!

edit: pressing alt + 1-5 makes different short loops on right deck and alt6-0 on left, but the track just resumes on cue - not further along as if playing underneath...

Last edited:

dj_soo

TRIBE Member
so i made a crate, got the loop roll enabled msg, but I can't get it to trigger at all.
help me internet!

edit: pressing alt + 1-5 makes different short loops on right deck and alt6-0 on left, but the track just resumes on cue - not further along as if playing underneath...
You need to use Alt + Ctrl + the number (or Alt + Apple + number) otherwise you'll just initiate the auto-loop.

SolChild

TRIBE Promoter
Will the Vestax VCI 300 work with Serato Scratch Live? (not the Itch)
I am looking for a controller for Serato.

dj_soo

TRIBE Member
don't know if the 300 will work partially with Live but it most definitely won't work as the main controller for Live (like say a midi controller with Traktor) - you would still need a mixer at the very least - Live is designed primarily for turntable emulation. You could use a midi controller with Live to do things like trigger loops and cue points, but you'd still need to have a DJ mixer for the audio.

Itch is the software serato specifically made to work with it's proprietary controllers like the 300 and the NS7. Is there a reason you don't want to use Itch?

outty

TRIBE Member
maybe he's got the sl1 box already...

i'm in the same boat as SolChild (if he has the sl1 box) new turntables or midi alternative.

SolChild

TRIBE Promoter
don't know if the 300 will work partially with Live but it most definitely won't work as the main controller for Live (like say a midi controller with Traktor) - you would still need a mixer at the very least - Live is designed primarily for turntable emulation. You could use a midi controller with Live to do things like trigger loops and cue points, but you'd still need to have a DJ mixer for the audio.

Itch is the software serato specifically made to work with it's proprietary controllers like the 300 and the NS7. Is there a reason you don't want to use Itch?
Yeah, I have the SL1 already, but Im seeing less and less use for Turntables or CDJs if youre just playing tracks off the laptop anyway.

I could live with using a mixer, I guess its just replacing the Turntables etc...