• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

The Serato Tips and Tricks thread

~decepticon~

TRIBE Promoter
Appears that there are quite a few users of serato on tribe now so why don't we share tips and tricks we have found using serato.

I will start -
DOWNLOAD version 1.8 - the needle drop in relative mode is killer!

gl*tch

TRIBE Member
I've used rel mode pretty much since the beginning and w/ 1.8 I haven't found a use for the needle drop feature.

I just fast-forward along the wave display bar using my laptop's mouse surface. Or, I jump to cuepoints.

1.8 is pretty awesome. I esp. like the auto-loop feature.

It's all about learning the keyboard shortcuts!

unique2100

TRIBE Promoter
So I haven't had time to d.l. 1.8 beta. Someone want to give me an overview of what it's midi capabilities are?

dj_soo

TRIBE Member
accapellas and pitch-lock: Have an accapella that you want to fit over an out of range bpm? Try key-locking it and playing it at 45. Gives it a bit of a chopped sound and it depends on the accapella, but it works for the most part. For instance, taking a 100 bpm accapella, pitch-locking it, and playing it at 45 will give a roughly 138 bpm accapella without the chipmunk vocals. You can work out combinations of setting SSL to 33 or 45 and what you have your decks set at as well.

Auto-loop "trancifier" - press alt-T for the left deck and alt-G for the right deck. Throws down a 4-beat auto loop and then automatically halves it every bar.

Playing off of one deck: you can mix records off only one turntable if you want - some people use the "input reverse" switch, but this way is much easier. Set up the side without a deck to Internal mode. Ensure "instant doubles" is on. Press the Play button on the internal side. Drop a tune on the deck side. When you have it where you want, simply load up the same tune on the opposite, internal side. Switch over on your mixer. Load up the next tune on the deck side. Wash, rinse, repeat. This is especially useful to people like me who can only scratch with one hand - you can move the tune over to the other deck and scratch with your "on" hand.

Undo - if you've just started using serato, you're inevitably going to one day load the song on the playing deck accidentally - especially if you like using relative mode to fire through a ton of tunes and mixes. If you accidentally do it, don't panic - just hit ctrl-Z and it'll bring the tune back to exactly where you left it off and keep playing said track.

censor/backwards mode - pressing U (left deck) or J (right deck) while the tune is playing will make the tune play start running backwards. Letting go of the key will leave you off in the song as if the entire tune was still playing that time. Designed for censoring swears if you forgot to get the clean version but can be used for effective track builds.

beat-repeat trick - just something I picked up watching mat the alien. With a track, ensure key lock is off, and a cue point is set up. Press and hold the key-lock hot key and your keyboard key-repeat will kick in. Turn off your deck and let it power-down. Creates a neat little effect.

I was using the needle-drop cue points for a bit until I noticed that if the needle skipped in one of the cue-point drop spots it would wreak havoc on my mixes...

I have also been using leopard with 1.8 final for a few weeks now with no issues.

Stickybuds~

TRIBE Member
Nice tips soo.

I just ordered my TTM - 57 SL and ma selling my cdj to a friend to pay for the mixer.

Stoked to switch over.

I was thinking that the key lock and switching to 45 rpm would work like you say it does. Nice one.

With the midi learn... can I make more than 3 cue points if I had a trigger finger?

Also is there a way to have multiple cue points for multiple tracks loaded on the cue bottons... like a cdj ?

dj_soo

TRIBE Member
you can get up to 5 cue points per song - don't know of a way to set any more than that tho. The cue points are set up on a song-by-song basis so whatever tune you load will have those cue points set up.

I don't have much experience with the 57 (get to play on one tonight :)) but every button/knob/control in the "serato" section is customizable so you can set it up however you like. You can also create groups of controls so you can have like 2 or 3 templates to work with.

Interchange

TRIBE Promoter
So i have been using torq for quite a while, and it is fine for at home, but as soon as i take it out there are all kinds of fuk ups i find it is not very stable.

Question, when playing out at gigs with serato do you find it runs pretty smoothly from set up, through out your set? any weird kind of bugs?

Torq is very sensitive to cables that are not in good condition and you can spend a good chunk of time readjusting things.

I am conflicted if i should buy a cdj or serato

casual

TRIBE Promoter
I find serato to be very stable and rarely have issues with it. The times I do have issues, they are typically

1 table doesn't track well
- this is usually not serato, but the turntable grounding or overall quality of the turntable (i.e. if its only outputting the left side - it will be problematic for tracking - but then would sound like shit in the club anyways) , sometimes the needles just needs a good clean as well. The work around if you have 1 turntable that isn't cooperating is to play on the other table - once the track is mixed in, flip it over to the empty channel and mix again of the same deck.

Software stability is top notch - used to have some minor hicups in the earlier versions, but haven't experience one in a long long time.

Another issue I have seen once, 1 artist is using a european to N/A adapter, if serato was plugged into the wall it acted bonkers, solution was to just use bus power.

Other than that I haven't experienced issues that was caused due to the program or hardware.

I'd go serato, I am uncomfortable mixing on cdj's - however with serato, you do need to set up the hardware at every gig and carry around a laptop, which isn't the most convenient

extremely solid set up otherwise
d.

dj_soo

TRIBE Member
Interchange said:
So i have been using torq for quite a while, and it is fine for at home, but as soon as i take it out there are all kinds of fuk ups i find it is not very stable.

Question, when playing out at gigs with serato do you find it runs pretty smoothly from set up, through out your set? any weird kind of bugs?

Torq is very sensitive to cables that are not in good condition and you can spend a good chunk of time readjusting things.

I am conflicted if i should buy a cdj or serato
serato is basically the Technics or digital vinyl systems. If you're hooked on the feel of spinning vinyl but still want to go digital, serato is the one to get.

Interchange

TRIBE Promoter
its so confusing these days which way to go - will turntables even be at clubs in the next 5 years? or will it be cdjs only? then i should prolly get a proper cdj, cause even if i have serato i will still need to know how to use a cdj.
Best bet i guess is to learn both. but soo much $$$ !!

Interchange

TRIBE Promoter
Another question.

Has anyone ever had problems setting up Serato at the gig? any tecnical issues?
Do you go early to set up? Does not seem very cool to me to set up and change wires around in the middle of someones set.

dj_soo

TRIBE Member
i always go early to set up and soundcheck. There aren't any technical problems per se, it's just a huge pain in the ass and if you're in a situation where there are multiple DJs, i find it really disrespectful to be unhooking shit while someone else is playing.

You should also invest in a power adaptor for the box as if there is no power to the box, you won't be able to play anything on the setup - even vinyl.

casual

TRIBE Promoter
Radio shack, its just a basic wall wart adapter, electronic stores will have them as well, and for cheaper, just confirm the connection size (the part that fits into serato) is the right one. The electronics store across the street from U of T (on College) has a voltage switchable adapter + a bunch of different connection sizes for a measley $9

Interchange

TRIBE Promoter
Yes i found this with torq, if you did not have a power adapter plugged in and the computer crashed nothing would work at all. bah make sure the adapter is the right voltage to, u don't want to fry it!

I am still on the fence serato or cdj i guess i should look in that other thread

why not

TRIBE Member
dj_soo said:
i always go early to set up and soundcheck. There aren't any technical problems per se, it's just a huge pain in the ass and if you're in a situation where there are multiple DJs, i find it really disrespectful to be unhooking shit while someone else is playing.

You should also invest in a power adaptor for the box as if there is no power to the box, you won't be able to play anything on the setup - even vinyl.
i've been to a few events lately where the DJs opted to use one laptop (as they were all serato users), and just plugged their hard drives into the shared laptop.

and as i posted before, newer clubs are installing a permanent serato box in the rack for easy patching and switchovers.

dj_soo

TRIBE Member
why not said:
i've been to a few events lately where the DJs opted to use one laptop (as they were all serato users), and just plugged their hard drives into the shared laptop.

and as i posted before, newer clubs are installing a permanent serato box in the rack for easy patching and switchovers.
actually, if you keep all your files on external, your crates save to the external too so if you plug in to someone's drive, all your sorting shows up as well.

Matt Carl

TRIBE Member
dj_soo said:
actually, if you keep all your files on external, your crates save to the external too so if you plug in to someone's drive, all your sorting shows up as well.
we have been doing it like this pretty much the whole time we have been playing dubstep...so easy, as long as the participants are willing

~decepticon~

TRIBE Promoter
cdjs are a total waste of money imo, soon pioneer will reveal a removable hard drive or memory stick that you can plug into your computer to upload songs and then you will just need to carry that around...

Phat Trick

TRIBE Promoter
anyone have any tips/warnings for buying an external HD to run with serato? Is it cool to use a portable HD that's powered by usb or should I get a fancy HD that has a separate power supply and uses firewire?
The laptop that I use is a macbook, if that matters.