• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

The self employment thread.

Cannabis Seed Wedding Bands

the gatekeeper

TRIBE Member
I'm not but I plan to be by this time next year.

I am working towards opening a vintage furniture store with stuff that I have fixed up and customized myself.

I'm interested in hearing other people's experiences as well. Good idea for a thread Thom. :)

ladee

TRIBE Member
the gatekeeper said:
I'm not but I plan to be by this time next year.

I am working towards opening a vintage furniture store with stuff that I have fixed up and customized myself.

I'm interested in hearing other people's experiences as well. Good idea for a thread Thom. :)
The furniture business is shit right now. A guy on my street who sold european looking furniture (like German style) all handmade had a store in Mississauga. After 20 yrs of being in business he had to shut shop. He said he hadn't had a pay cheque in about 18 months. I dunno, just thought I'd comment for no apparant reason.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

dyad

TRIBE Member
I have a 9-5 to keep me from starving as I expand my roster of clients.

I have a pretty well established freelance writing gig going. Mostly technical, copy and other hack projects. My 9-5 also has me doing creative/script/pitch writing and if I leave I know I can expect the work with this company to continue.

I also produce theatre (both burlesque and legitimate) with two companies in Toronto for the love of it all (and its actually finally starting to pay off!)

Been at both consistantly for over a year and a half... hope to do it full time at some point, but its hard to get past the paranoia that comes without the guaranteed paycheque

MOD ONE

TRIBE Member
My brother and I started our on-line health store a while back, and now have gained customers all over the world. It's pretty cool to see a business grow, and the amount you learn by running your own business nothing will compare to it. It's all on you to get the job done and get the ball rolling. I find running your own business you just don't take one roll you have to take many rolls, so your tasks are changing each day.

supakeli

TRIBE Member
kinda.

I have a day job, but also am a hair stylist and design consultant on the side.
It's nice to have a back up, though I don't know how comfortable I would be relying solely on my income from my independant endevours at this point.
The security of a 9-5 is difficult to give up.

veteze

TRIBE Promoter
After 8 months in biz my two partners and I are moving into our first office space tomorrow. It'll be nice to be able to get out of the house and be sorta normal again.

Web dev shiz. Flash as2, c# .net, interface architecture, graphic design. We focus mostly on usability and front end development. Good roster of clients gleaned mostly from our former co-workers in the various interactive agencies around town.

miller

TRIBE Member
ikea

ladee said:
The furniture business is shit right now. A guy on my street who sold european looking furniture (like German style) all handmade had a store in Mississauga. After 20 yrs of being in business he had to shut shop. He said he hadn't had a pay cheque in about 18 months. I dunno, just thought I'd comment for no apparant reason.

jared k

TRIBE Member
i write for an agency full time, but i recently started freelancing in the states. same type of work (resort and real estate) but at 4-5 times my salary.

hoping i can survive as a full-time freelancer soon.

TheRunningBoard

TRIBE Member
mikeryan said:
After 8 months in biz my two partners and I are moving into our first office space tomorrow. It'll be nice to be able to get out of the house and be sorta normal again.

Web dev shiz. Flash as2, c# .net, interface architecture, graphic design. We focus mostly on usability and front end development. Good roster of clients gleaned mostly from our former co-workers in the various interactive agencies around town.

Congrats!

I moved out of the bedroom and into an office space about 8 weeks ago, and am really happy I did. I was worried that I was wasting money, when I felt I could have done the work @ home thing for another 6 months probably..but it was the right decision.

supakeli

TRIBE Member
the gatekeeper said:
True, it's totally scary but I'm looking forward to not being the seething mass of rage that I am at my 9-5!

Too true. Good on you for having the balls.

One day...one day...

the gatekeeper

TRIBE Member
ladee said:
I know that's why, I was just saying... I dunno.

Well, I'd rather try at something I want to do and possibly fail than never having tried in the first place. And not everyone wants the same mass produced stuff that 6 other of their friends are going to have in their houses.

Not trying to start an arguement but what I plan on doing is different than a lot of what is currently out there and I don't think it's going to be an easy road either but still something I want to do.

the gatekeeper

TRIBE Member
supakeli said:
Too true. Good on you for having the balls.

One day...one day...

Thanks! :) What kind of design consulting do you do? (i'm an interior designer by education, although not currently working in the field).

litespeed

Well-Known TRIBEr
I used to be strickly self employed.. ran viral marketing campaigns, planned and executed promotional campaigns for a whack of night clubs in the city and some corporate gigs. For a while there it was doing REALLY well and I had about 20 people working for me.. several full time.. but it just kinda dried up and contracts became too inconsistant.. more work then it was worth.. so i said fuck it and got a day job.

ladee

TRIBE Member
the gatekeeper said:
Well, I'd rather try at something I want to do and possibly fail than never having tried in the first place. And not everyone wants the same mass produced stuff that 6 other of their friends are going to have in their houses.

Not trying to start an arguement but what I plan on doing is different than a lot of what is currently out there and I don't think it's going to be an easy road either but still something I want to do.
I'm not trying to deter you. I'm all for doing something you love even with the possibility of failing. I was just telling you an experience to make you a bit more aware, although I'm sure you're already aware of the trends in furniture buying - much more so than myself. So I guess my post was kind of useless :)

OTIS

TRIBE Member
I run a one man computer consulting/troubleshooting/repair service. While it only subsidizes my income right now as I'm in school full time, I plan to ramp it up in the future.

the gatekeeper

TRIBE Member
ladee said:
I'm not trying to deter you. I'm all for doing something you love even with the possibility of failing. I was just telling you an experience to make you a bit more aware, although I'm sure you're already aware of the trends in furniture buying - much more so than myself. So I guess my post was kind of useless :)

No worries. :) It's good to hear the other side of the equation too.