• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

The Scottish vote on Quebec's Independence

Snuffy

TRIBE Member
So tomorrow the Scotts vote on whether Quebec separates from Canada in the next decade. Anyone excited for this? No?

Polymorph

TRIBE Member
you seem to forget (or never knew in the first place), that when Pauline Marois paid a special visit to Scotland last year to show *solidarity*, she got completely rebuffed and ignored by Alex Salmond (big Yes PM guy there). It was one of several high-profile Embarrassments for the PQ which saw them get trounced out earlier this year.

See, it's like this. If a Scot were to immigrate to Quebec, they'd be *un anglais* and treated like a second class citizen, a *pariah*, or at least be subjected to a bunch of sucky Quebecers trying to validate themselves (in the worst way).
But, thing is, obviously Canada has many transplanted Scots. I mean, Nova Scotia (DUH). As well as Ontario, the prairie provinces, the Maritimes in general, BC....

So, therefore, the Scots in Scotland identify strongly with Canada, and they don't give a shit about Quebec.

Not all referendum votes are created equal

(That being said, I don't give a shit which way the Scot vote goes. Though I must say, it's been fun and entertaining to watch!

cheers

Polymorph

TRIBE Member
If there's any *independiste* movement that Quebec(ers) should be identifying with, it's with the rebels in Eastern Ukraine. (including the fact that they occasionally come across like a bunch of dumb fuck Russian puppets who occasionally shoot down the wrong planes).

But even then.... I can see PQ Marois type Quebecers identifying with the stoic peasant Catholicisms of the Uke Russian rebels. However, like the Scots, there's a shitload of transplanted Ukrainians in Canada, and they don't live in Quebec. Like the Scots, they live in the Prairie Provinces (Saskatchewan, Manitoba, Alberta), and the Maritimes, with some in Ontario there. In fact, the reason creepy Harper has invited Polenchenko (y'know, that guy), to visit Canada, is that the Ukes do hold a certain balance of power in the next Federal election.

That being said, I'm a half-Uke, and I still wouldn't vote for creepy Harper. or Cunt Marois, for that matter. Under no circumstances.

cheers

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
I hope Scottish funksters Average White Band get to create the new Scottish national anthem!

[YOUTUBE]Ki5aS5LSrQM[/YOUTUBE]

Snuffy

TRIBE Member
you seem to forget (or never knew in the first place), that when Pauline Marois paid a special visit to Scotland last year to show *solidarity*, she got completely rebuffed and ignored by Alex Salmond (big Yes PM guy there). It was one of several high-profile Embarrassments for the PQ which saw them get trounced out earlier this year.

See, it's like this. If a Scot were to immigrate to Quebec, they'd be *un anglais* and treated like a second class citizen, a *pariah*, or at least be subjected to a bunch of sucky Quebecers trying to validate themselves (in the worst way).
But, thing is, obviously Canada has many transplanted Scots. I mean, Nova Scotia (DUH). As well as Ontario, the prairie provinces, the Maritimes in general, BC....

So, therefore, the Scots in Scotland identify strongly with Canada, and they don't give a shit about Quebec.

(That being said, I don't give a shit which way the Scot vote goes. Though I must say, it's been fun and entertaining to watch!

cheers
That doesn't matter. The excitement of a yes vote in Scotland would ensure another Quebec referendum in the next decade. The only thing that would stop that is post-referrendum Scottish economic armageddon.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Snuffy

TRIBE Member
The separatists are cheering them on. Sol Zanetti seems rather bitter and upset about the previous Quebec referendums. Call me crazy, but with the way he brings up historical grievances, I find him rather unpleasant and not nice:

[YOUTUBE]R2fiyEWupP8[/YOUTUBE]

The Truth

TRIBE Member
19 September 2014 Last updated at 06:01

Scotland will vote to stay in the United Kingdom after rejecting independence, the BBC has predicted.

With 29 out of the country's 32 council areas having declared after Thursday's vote, the "No" side has 55% of the vote, with the "Yes" campaign on 45%.

By 06:00 BST (07:00 GMT), the "No" campaign had more than 1,737,000 votes, with "Yes" on just over 1,398,000.

A total of 1,852,828 votes is needed for victory. The vote is the culmination of a two-year campaign.

The BBC is predicting on the basis of votes declared so far by Scotland's local authorities the "No" side will win the referendum with 55% of the vote while "Yes" will secure 45% of the vote.

This margin of victory is some three points greater than that anticipated by the final opinion polls.

full results here
BBC News - Scottish referendum: Voters to reject independence - BBC

Polymorph

TRIBE Member
It's amusing to think that Quebec separatistes just had their hopes crushed again, just by latching onto a Referendum that has nothing to do with them

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

praktik

TRIBE Member
Bit of a different context to the scotland thing vs the quebec thing - one being a taker and another being a contributor being one big one!

Part of me wanted YES to win but I think they already did - if they felt neglected the freaked out Brits are gonna make some concessions.

Close calls have a way of doing that.

Polymorph

TRIBE Member
The separatists are cheering them on. Sol Zanetti seems rather bitter and upset about the previous Quebec referendums. Call me crazy, but with the way he brings up historical grievances, I find him rather unpleasant and not nice:

[YOUTUBE]R2fiyEWupP8[/YOUTUBE]
that guy is a poster-boy for everything that makes Quebec creepy

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

randyval

TRIBE Member
it's all very confusing to me, wasn't it a Scottish "king James VI" who created the union in the first place?
I guess im going to have to read up on whats been happening there.
seems a little bit more complicated than the Quebec issue.

Last edited:

workdowntown

TRIBE Member
Unionist thugs rioting in my hometown (one of the few Yes constituencies) after the No vote.

https://www.tumblr.com/search/glasgow+riots

UK media reporting it as 'two-sided standoff' in spite of masses of evidence to the contrary.

We could have been better than this but the miserable, servile conservative side of my people decided to stay 'North Britain' rather than become our own country. They were bolstered by a huge turount of over-55's who had been fed lies about their pensions being in jeopardy, despite the DWP assurances that pensions would be paid regardless.

To say I'm gutted would be an understatement.

The mood in Scotland is markedly subdued.

workdowntown

TRIBE Member
I guess im going to have to read up on whats been happening there.
seems a little bit more complicated than the Quebec issue.
Try wingsoverscotland or bellacaledonia, the UK media has been very pro-union for the last 2 years so it is very difficult to parse what has gone on by only reading their take on it which is overwhelmingly pro-establishment.

We literally had 1 sunday newspaper that was pro-indy which is hardly surprising when you see where the HQ of these media arms are.

Jeffsus

TRIBE Member
Well the plural is "referenda" and the adverb is "equally". If you're Quebecois I'll give you slack. If you're Scottish well, I'm glad you're sober enough to type.

That's ok though!

This entire question of sovereignty just boggles my mind. It's nationalism at its worst. The Scottland - England thing, I mean, at least they speak the same language (ha! maybe not) and have been together for 300+ years. It took me a roommate from Manchester the better part of two years to explain what UK, England, Ireland, Scottland, North Ireland, Wales, how all of that shit means something or comes together. And at the end of the day it's just a bunch of small islands!

The Danes have it together though. When global warming comes to fruition, and it will; sorry for all you folks around the equator -- but Canada and Greenland are basically going to own the bases. Maybe Russia too. All those bases are belong to us.

-jM
A&D