• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

The Rochester Ferry Terminal

Poot

TRIBE Member
Is going to be an $8M steel shed (and I mean shed in the literal sense.)

Welcome to our country.

Don't you love our waterfront here in Toronto?

Cydome

TRIBE Member
I don’t think there are any pics, the thing hasn't even been built yet. The maiden voyage from NY is going to arrive to constructions tents or something...after departing from the $10 million dollar terminal already built in NY.

Goooooooooooo Port Authority
:rolleyes:

Poot

TRIBE Member
I have no idea where to go searching for one.

But the artist's rendition is in the Toronto section of today's Globe.

What an embarrassment.

It's honestly a square with walls made out of steel.

Poot

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Cydome
I don’t think there are any pics, the thing hasn't even been built yet. The maiden voyage from NY is going to arrive to constructions tents or something...after departing from the $10 million dollar terminal already built in NY.

Goooooooooooo Port Authority
:rolleyes:
$16 million US is what Rochester is spending on their terminal.

And they commissioned submissions from multiple architects to select a design. They're modifying an historic building to do theirs.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Cydome

TRIBE Member
Jeez, we'll have to make sure we get one of those big-ass expensive multi-room tents, or maybe we should even spring for a TENT-TRAILER....

There was an article about this in last week's Now/Eye, can't remember which...

Chris

Well-Known TRIBEr
Im all for spending money on a viable plan that will increase trade/tourism/etc. But who wants to go to Rochester?

Nesta

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by ChrisD
Im all for spending money on a viable plan that will increase trade/tourism/etc. But who wants to go to Rochester?
ferry to rochester - rent car - drive to manhattan.

Chris

Well-Known TRIBEr
Umm why don't you just fly?

Has their been any cost/benefit analysis on this?

Think outside the box? Beyond my cubicle or beyond what I think you mean-dirty!!! For shame on you Mingster!

Poot

TRIBE Member
Regardless of what market this is targeting (be it Rochester peeps coming to visit Toronto, or Torontonians booking over to Rochester) the point remains:

Our waterfront is being further battered. A big metal shed is being plunked right there.

Lovely.

Nesta

TRIBE Member
Umm why don't you just fly?

Has their been any cost/benefit analysis on this?

Think outside the box? Beyond my cubicle or beyond what I think you mean-dirty!!! For shame on you Mingster!
you could always fly, although it might be a bit more expensive. i've driven to new york before, and it was awesome! mind you, i like to drive, esp scenic routes.

does anybody know what the ferry ride is going to cost? one way? round trip?

defazman

TRIBE Member
I'm actually looking forward to taking the motorbike on the ferry and cruising around New York state. It's a good way to make a day trip, otherwise I'd be tired and sore after the three hour drive to get there.

mingster

TRIBE Member
I think so, its a little more direct/faster dont you think?
not really.

considering travel times to and from airports, customs nowadays in airports. you don't have your car with you if you fly. and so on. i think there are probably some very good reasons why people still choose to drive over fly. it's not the most convenient choice for everybody. also, i'm sure this ferry will have many commercial uses that flying doesn't satisfy.

Vote Quimby

TRIBE Member
Has anyone considered that this thing might be temporary? If the ferry service lasts only one year, that shed will come down pretty easily. And we wouldn't have wasted $16 million building it.

Poot

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Vote Quimby
Has anyone considered that this thing might be temporary? If the ferry service lasts only one year, that shed will come down pretty easily. And we wouldn't have wasted $16 million building it.
That's the thing. This isn't temporary.

Temporary are the tents going up until the shed is done.

The shed is permanent. And costs $8M.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

vveerrgg

TRIBE Promoter
$8 mil. is better then $16M.

plus the good thing is.... give it 10 years to figure out what the demand is and
THEN BUILD A KILLER AMAZING BUILDING!

ian

TRIBE Member
I think we're thinking they will want to come here. They are the other hand, are just desperate :D

Chris

Well-Known TRIBEr
Originally posted by mingster
not really.

considering travel times to and from airports, customs nowadays in airports. you don't have your car with you if you fly. and so on. i think there are probably some very good reasons why people still choose to drive over fly. it's not the most convenient choice for everybody. also, i'm sure this ferry will have many commercial uses that flying doesn't satisfy.
I think your going to run into the same customs problems driving and taking this ferry, if not more. The extreme will be instead of them rummaging through your luggage, now they will strip down your vehicle.

Commercial uses? Maybe, but I thought most of our commercial trade is between the Quebec City-Windsor Corridor, and down through the "rust belt" States, etc. I dont think a link to Rochester wont assist that.

But what do I know, Im just a knuckle dragging mongo.

mingster

TRIBE Member
I think your going to run into the same customs problems driving and taking this ferry, if not more. The extreme will be instead of them rummaging through your luggage, now they will strip down your vehicle.

i've driven through customs a couple times since 9/11 and it was quick and easy.

i wasn't driving a plane. ;)

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories