• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

The Ring: How much would YOU pay for one.

marcinm

TRIBE Member
So this discussion came up at the office about how much you would pay for an engagement ring.. I was hearing 3 months salary?? Even net that's a whole lot of money for a piece of carbon :|

chooch

TRIBE Member
no man is getting 3 months of my salary to parade around wearing on his finger! ...er...oh...nevermind.

edit: shhhhaaazzzzzzzzzzaam!

Flashy_McFlash

Well-Known TRIBEr
When you consider it an investment in the amount of sex you're going to receive for the rest of your life, three months salary is more than reasonable.

But...

If you ain't no chump, holla "we want pre-nup!"

"we want pre-nup!"

YEAAAAAAA

Michlerish

Well-Known TRIBEr
In all seriousness; it's tradition.

If my future husband had the money, but was humming and hawing about blowing that amount on a ring, I'd be pissed.
But, if his financial situation was shaky, I defintiely would not want him to spend a lot on a ring.

Everyone's situation is different, and you'll know what's appropriate when you reach that point.

KiFe

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by marcinm
I was hearing 3 months salary??
2 months salary was a marketing ploy by the evil empire de beers i think. Not only did the marketing stratego take hold, but it also became almost standardized throughout the marriage industry that that is what you're expected to spend, if you really truly love your fiancee.

so.... look into de beers... i've heard nothing but slave/sweatshop stories and generally evil doings ala Mr. Burns.

Remember... this is a ROCK we're talking about... something that you can get FOR FREE from earth if you're willing to go looking for it. Try not to fall prey to an age-old marketing ploy.

Think of all the wonderful things you could buy your wife with that money, if you don't spend it all on a shiny finger ornament dealie.

junglegirl

TRIBE Member
yeah im pretty meh about the whole thing...tradition and all...I would rather someone buy me something a bit cheaper and use the money he would have spent on something for both of us....

$3000.00

compared to

$20,000.00

:eek:

junglegirl

TRIBE Member
I would want the top :D

haha

diamonds kill.

also....

he could give me a twig wrapped around my finger and I would say yes :p

Mz. SPy

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by junglegirl
yeah im pretty meh about the whole thing...tradition and all...I would rather someone buy me something a bit cheaper and use the money he would have spent on something for both of us....

$3000.00

compared to

$20,000.00

:eek:
both of these are nice.

Wiseman

TRIBE Member
If your girl has friends that are married, find out how much thier men spent on the rings, then spend a grand more.

kyfe

TRIBE Member
it's not how much you spend but rather what you get, get her what she wants and she'll be happy if her #1 concern is money I probably wouldn't give her the ring...

Skipper

TRIBE Member
Has anyone seen the new freedom ring, or whateverthefuck it's called?

de beers has now launched a marketing campaign at wealthy, single women who might want to show their utter disdain for marriage by wearing a diamond...on their RIGHT hand.

I don't think the campaign is going so well.

artemis

TRIBE Member
yeah... i used to think that the whole ring nonsense really was nonsense until i realised that you have to wear this item FOR THE REST OF YOUR LIFE

think about it - this single ring will remain on her finger forever! that should bring into perspective the ammount you may want / are able to spend

also size and price are not everything... someone suggested that you can purchase teh stone seperately and that's a really good cost-saving idea. Also popular are estate sales for used diamnonds, but not sure if your lady would like a used diamond..?

I guess it helps if you call it 'vintage' :)

Michlerish

Well-Known TRIBEr
^ I thought it was for women who wanted to wear diamond rings without having to wait for marriage or a man to do it. So there are diamond rings for your right hand.

artemis

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Skipper
Has anyone seen the new freedom ring, or whateverthefuck it's called?

de beers has now launched a marketing campaign at wealthy, single women who might want to show their utter disdain for marriage by wearing a diamond...on their RIGHT hand.

I don't think the campaign is going so well.
yeah... i kinda like that campaign. Not sure how it's faring in terms of sales, but it looks pretty good in print, and is tapping into an undersold market...