• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

"The Poem"???

rave jedi

TRIBE Member
First of all, I don't even know if this is actually the name of the song. I've created this thread in hopes that somebody may properly ID this track and I can find its title and hear it again.

It's a very old house tune probably produced in the late 80's, maybe early 90's.

The song had like an African or maybe Caribbean narrator describing a "poem" and I believe it may have dealt with social and political oppression. The only lines I remember was that he talked about a "third world" and a "second world" in the lyrics.

The very last time I heard this house music tune dropped at a club was when Matt C played it at Industry in 1999.

Any help IDing this track would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!!:cool:

Cannabis Seed Wedding Bands

Wiseman

TRIBE Member
Dis Poem - Mutabaruka

dis poem
shall speak of the wretched sea
that washed ships to these shores
of mothers cryin for their young
swallowed up by the sea
dis poem shall say nothin new
dis poem shall speak of time
time unlimited time undefined
dis poem shall call names
names like lumumba kenyatta nkrumah
hannibal akenaton malcolm garvey
haile selassie
dis poem is vexed about apartheid rascism fascism
the klu klux klan riots in brixton atlanta
jim jones
dis poem is revoltin against 1st world 2nd world
3rd world division man made decision
dis poem is like all the rest
dis poem will not be amongst great literary works
will not be recited by poetry enthusiasts
will not be quoted by politicians nor men of religion
dis poem s knives bombs guns blood fire
blazin for freedom
yes dis poem is a drum
ashanti mau mau ibo yoruba nyahbingi warriors
uhuru uhuru
uhuru namibia
uhuru soweto
uhuru afrika
dis poem will not change things
dis poem need to be changed
dis poem is a rebirth of a peopl
arizin awaking understandin
dis poem speak is speakin have spoken
dis poem shall continue even when poets have stopped writin
dis poem shall survive u me it shall linger in history
in your mind
in time forever
dis poem is time only time will tell
dis poem is still not written
dis poem has no poet
dis poem is just a part of the story
his-story her-story our-story the story still untold
dis poem is now ringin talkin irritatin
makin u want to stop it
but dis poem will not stop
dis poem is long cannot be short
dis poem cannot be tamed cannot be blamed
the story is still not told about dis poem
dis poem is old new
dis poem was copied from the bible your prayer book
playboy magazine the n.y. times readers digest
the c.i.a. files the k.g.b. files
dis poem is no secret
dis poem shall be called boring stupid senseless
dis poem is watchin u tryin to make sense from dis poem
dis poem is messin up your brains
makin u want to stop listenin to dis poem
but u shall not stop listenin to dis poem
u need to know what will be said next in dis poem
dis poem shall disappoint u
because
dis poem is to be continued in your mind in your mind
in your mind your mind

Wiseman

TRIBE Member
You are welcome. there have been a miriad of tracks that use this vocal sample over the years. I still have yet to locate just the accapella although I'm sure it wouldn't be to hard to find.

Dis Poem '99 0n Guidance records is probably a good place to start. 2 versions a double LP and then a 12" of Claussell remixes.

I have a recent version with a deep tech house dub on one side and this ridiculous deep african breaks version on the flip that starts with about three minutes of atmospheric bidnezz before the break drops.

Also I think I have somewhere a Todd Terry (?) 12" called "Riots in Brixton". I would check exact names of these but I am on the way out the door.

I'm sure Rude1 will pop in here with corrections and additions soon enough.........

octo

TRIBE Member
rave jedi said:
It's a very old house tune probably produced in the late 80's, maybe early 90's.

1990 The Poem - Bobby Konders

my copy says Nu Groove Records

on the flip it has Nervous Acid and Future

actually it might be a bootleg cause maybe the flip has a Cajmere track.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Rude1_247

TRIBE Member
The original spoken word is indeed by Muta Baruka (sometimes his first and last name are combined... hence the various credits that will show mutabaruka as the artist). It was a raaga poem, and Konders used to use it in his live sets as an accapella over various beats. Eventually, the acapella combo became so popular that, under the alias guise of Massive Sounds, he produced a track that layed the spoken word over the beat we know now.

It's been used in a million different tracks, but if you're looking for how it came to be a classic house staple, then Muta Baruka and Bobby Konders are the ones to thank.

edit: this is one of my babies, if you can find it, pick it up.
R-36875-001.jpg

http://www.discogs.com/release/36875

Last edited:

rave jedi

TRIBE Member
Rude1_247 said:
but if you're looking for how it came to be a classic house staple, then Muta Baruka and Bobby Konders are the ones to thank.

Nah, I was just getting a bit nostagic over the long Easter weekend and really wanted to hear this track again, especially at a club. Is there a chance at some club that plays house music, I would be able to groove to this tune again? Where and who would play this old classic in T.O. these days? Thanks a lot guys for the info...;)

Just downloaded it from Soulseek and I'm walking down memory lane right now.:D LOL

Rude1_247

TRIBE Member
I'm not aware of any strictly classics nights in T.O., but you might hear it at a Loose Joints jam or something along those lines.

dvs

TRIBE Promoter
Rude1_247 said:
I'm not aware of any strictly classics nights in T.O., but you might hear it at a Loose Joints jam or something along those lines.

fyi...loose joints is done (the d&t incarnation of it for now anyway from what i've read) actually there's another loose joints night which just started up but it's a hip hop, funk, r&b thing. not a house night. ( << and not d&t in incase anyone's wondering.)

as for strictly classics nights, there aren't any weekly jams but there are one-offs here and there. (there's one that i know of coming up on apr. 22nd. i won't post it here as that would be spam but if anyone wants to know about it - i'm not involved with this jam at all - just shoot me a pm.) you'll surely hear bobby konders' classic among others at one of these jams.

d

jw

TRIBE Member
booby konders - the poem

bobby konders - the poem...

A random piece of useless information... The blunted dummies pulled the strings from this track, for use in the classic track "House for All" (released on definitive records)

Last edited:

Rude1_247

TRIBE Member
Just found out about a classics jam coming up. I'm not associated with the event at all, but I can't post the details here without it being considered spam. PM me or check the ghm board.

Wiseman

TRIBE Member
dvs said:
as for strictly classics nights, there aren't any weekly jams but there are one-offs here and there. (there's one that i know of coming up on apr. 22nd. i won't post it here as that would be spam but if anyone wants to know about it - i'm not involved with this jam at all - just shoot me a pm.) you'll surely hear bobby konders' classic among others at one of these jams.

d

Rude1_247 said:
Just found out about a classics jam coming up. I'm not associated with the event at all, but I can't post the details here without it being considered spam. PM me or check the ghm board.

sounds like Mark and Dany are throwing a jam!!!!!

Rude1_247

TRIBE Member
dude, I've already been banned from roll calls once this week. LET ME REITERATE THAT I DO NOT HAVE ENOUGH MONEY, FRIENDS, OR DRUGS TO BE A PROMOTER AND I HAVE NOTHING TO DO WITH ANY EVENTS, EVER, ANYWHERE.

Anyways... definitely pick up A Lost Era in NYC if you can, it's got a boatload of classics on there and it's definitely a trip down memory lane for anyone that's been around the scene for a while.

octo

TRIBE Member
Rude1_247 said:
LET ME REITERATE THAT I DO NOT HAVE ENOUGH MONEY, FRIENDS, OR DRUGS TO BE A PROMOTER AND I HAVE NOTHING TO DO WITH ANY EVENTS, EVER, ANYWHERE.

this goes for me too, as i was also banned from tribe not too long ago for "promoting"

dvs

TRIBE Promoter
i got banned from the roll call threads for posting that i was attending others events (which i had no vested interest in) so cry me a river all of you. lol

d

p.s. as if we're not all well aware that most promoters use 'proxy' posters to start up roll call threads and bump them up anyway. pffft. ;) as for that upcoming event, hey mark, lemme know how you're doing for guestlist and such... we should make a killing on this one! ahem.

natureboy

TRIBE Member
rave jedi said:
Nah, I was just getting a bit nostagic over the long Easter weekend and really wanted to hear this track again, especially at a club. Is there a chance at some club that plays house music, I would be able to groove to this tune again? Where and who would play this old classic in T.O. these days? Thanks a lot guys for the info...;)

Just downloaded it from Soulseek and I'm walking down memory lane right now.:D LOL
I will play this tune at the Lab this Saturday.

deevah

TRIBE Member
i am no fucking proxy
but then again i've never been banned from the roll calls even tho i'd like to know what %age of my posts are in there and the event reviews
not that anyone should be getting any ideas

yeesh - what happened to the spirit of partying?

Wiseman

TRIBE Member
back on topic:

Had a dig through my records and came up with some names for the versions I mentioned earlier:

English Friday - Riots In Brixton/Melodies (E Legal)

That's a Todd Terry production and all three tracks use parts of the vocal. I believe 1991 is the year on that. Might be rare dunno.

Un:plug - Time Unlimited pt 2 (Stomp)

That's from 2004 and not something I would usually buy but definately a head turner on both sides. edit: I guess there is a part one as well..................gonna check that out.

Last edited:

natureboy

TRIBE Member
I have great memories of Headly playing the poem backindaday, probably right after Red-head king-pin or Dee-lite!

natureboy

TRIBE Member
...come to think of it, he used to play the acca. into Blunted Dummies (while he was doing lines off of the tuntable--technics1200 ) yaya, i know it's just a dj myth;)