• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

The Podcast thread

I_bRAD

TRIBE Member
So... after Shug's rant about how most of the podcasts suck a couple of months ago...

Anyone find any good ones? I'm having a hard time, but between all of us we should be able to narrow down the search a bit.

So far, the only decent ones I've been able to find are on CBC.

What else? The directories list "top tens" and stuff, but since the medium is dominated by geeks, the top ten tends to be stuff like "mac news" and the like.

Share the good stuff!

Lil'Timmy

TRIBE Promoter
The History Of New Music: Alan Cross
you can DL them I think from the Edge website

I love listening to them on the subway ride to the sauga on weekends.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

I_bRAD

TRIBE Member
So... just got the newest version of iTunes with Podcasting features. They can suck it. iPodder still seems to be better at first glance. I'm not sure that the iTunes version updates the iPod automatically after recieving new data... that's rather inconvenient. :(

evil homer

TRIBE Member
i found a great one archived at rope a dope

jazz historian and archivist bob belden is back with this, his 3rd podcast for the ropeadope podcast network - a collection of rare and out of print miles davis recordings from belden's personal stash of stash

they're hosting a great collection of funk jazz hip hop soul and other odds and ends.

gsnuff

TRIBE Promoter
Open source & to the point are both great news shows. Open source sex is an amazingly charged sex show, it's hit and miss but Violet Blue is as sharp as a tack and quite a left-leaning & tech friendly sex writer. Le Show is fantastic if you like political satire. I'm also very keen on DNA (design and architecture), and cinecast.

bitchass

TRIBE Member
University of Calgary's CJSW has some that are pretty good

http://www.cjsw.com/podcasts/

Also, some of the CBC locked out news anchors are starting a 'professionally produced' news program that is going to air daily on CJSW (and be released as a podcast) so that might be interesting when its available

I_bRAD

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by kuba
Stupid question:

Can one download these podcasts to their ipod? Is that how it works?
The software I use (Ipodder) automatically copies them to your ipod once they're downloaded

headwinds

TRIBE Promoter
So far I'm subscribing to the following design and technology podcasts:

Diggnation
GeekSpeak
Make Magazine
this Week in TECH
Macromedia Developer Relations
The Prepared Mind (all about graphic design)

they're all good and geeky

evil homer

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by atomic
I like the beat oracle on kcsb.org. it's a mix of some crazy hip hop and some really interesting electronic stuff.
I've been quite hooked to this one, their page linked me to
beyond jazz which is also very good. a nice of mix newer dancefloor electronic breakbeat nu jazz with more trad jazz and experimental things.

(and they've got a serious jazz nerdy msg board)

Luke Native

TRIBE Member
first podcast i subscribed to is Heavy Rotation from my homeboy Slyde <3

An action packed late night dance adventure. Deep, funky, underground dance music. Twisted afterhours disco house, dub funk and jazz rock breaks mixed by Slyde. Broadcast live on CKUT 90.3 FM in Montreal Canada late at night.

Luke Native

TRIBE Member
john digweed has his transistions podcast available now

anyone else know of any electronica oriented podcasts from big name djs?

OTIS

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by I_bRAD
The software I use (Ipodder) automatically copies them to your ipod once they're downloaded
So the definition of a 'podcast' is an mp3 that automatically copies to your player once it downlaods? Alright.

I_bRAD

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by OTIS
So the definition of a 'podcast' is an mp3 that automatically copies to your player once it downlaods? Alright.
Kind of... but you subscribe and it automatically downloads as well when new material is available. So, rather than looking for each new download, you just set the software to check intermittently (like once a day, or once a week) and then it'll automatically be there when you want it. You can set it up to download late at night or whenever so you can make use of idle time on the computer too.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories