• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

The Pianist (opinions please)

chipotle

Well-Known TRIBEr
*spolier alert*

I was wondering:

I know some of you guys have seen this film, I am pretty sure.
So what did you all think about this film?

I liked the pianist. I really really liked the cinematography in particular; the town at night when the protagonist is playing the piano for the Nazi officer, the many shots of the streets of war-torn Warsaw- long and never ending shots of streets, the barn field that gets hit with sunrays after the Nazi camp has been dismantled when the muscians go back to try to visit the Nazi officer, etc etc.

Anyways, I liked the movie lots. I was wondering if you guys thought about this flick.
At the begining I thought it was going to be another attempt at a Schindler's list type of movie.. because of all the timeline references and all but after his parents are taken away the movie takes a really good storyline turn IMO.

thoughts?

Cannabis Seed Wedding Bands

kuba

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by JayIsBored
if you travelled at 100 kmph for the duration of this film (148 minutes) how far would you go?

holy fuck i cant stop laughing

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

chipotle

Well-Known TRIBEr
Originally posted by JayIsBored
if you travelled at 100 kmph for the duration of this film (148 minutes) how far would you go?

well, it has been estimated that 120 minutes = Bala.

Thus 148 = Bala +(wait in line) Pay cover + get drink.

fightingskurvy

TRIBE Member
i watched this movie the a couple days after a really crazy party night. i was in a somewhat emotionally tenuous state and ended up crying atleast 4 times. it was not a bad movie at all.

xo

voytek

TRIBE Member
The only oscar-oriented film I saw this year. Loved it. But I'm a Polak and into all things WW2 so that's no surprise...

Static EQ

TRIBE Member
Pretty good flick... that dudes performance was TOTALLY overrated... and in no way deserving of an oscar...

he gets a 'meh' at best...

leigh

TRIBE Promoter
Originally posted by Static EQ
Pretty good flick... that dudes performance was TOTALLY overrated... and in no way deserving of an oscar...

he gets a 'meh' at best...

:confused: :confused: :confused:

i thought adrien brody was incredible in this film. i mean, the guy lost like a million pounds, learnt how to play the piano, and delivered a amazing role. what more could you ask for?

i can't think of ANYONE who would have done this role better....

he totally deserved the oscar (but i also would have been happy if the man from "in the bedroom" had won...)

amity

TRIBE Member
I thought it was devastating. I (unwisely) went out to party after, and I had to go home after an hour. I totally disagree that Adrien Brody's performance was overrated. He carried the whole thing and barely spoke!

Static EQ

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by leigh
:confused: :confused: :confused:

i thought adrien brody was incredible in this film. i mean, the guy lost like a million pounds, learnt how to play the piano, and delivered a amazing role. what more could you ask for?

i can't think of ANYONE who would have done this role better....

he totally deserved the oscar (but i also would have been happy if the man from "in the bedroom" had won...)

> acting isn't playing the piano

> acting isn't losing weight

> his character development without the beard and grunting was non-existent

> He spent most of the movie walking around acting like it wasn't happening - just ignoring the situation. That may have been what his character was supposed to do, but a great actor would have conveyed the emotional turmoil despite the suppression occuring in his mind.

Flat performance.

gsnuff

TRIBE Promoter
great cinematography

Dull and unimaginative film that is carried by the intensity of its historical backdrop.

**MUNCHKIN**

TRIBE Member
IMO I think this is a magnificent movie! The cinemetography is amazing, the acting, the music, the way he plays that piano!

Adrien Brody deserved that Oscar he won a couple years ago! The character he played! The strong heart he had while shit was hitting the roof!

I still don't know why this movie isn't in my dvd collection.