• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

The PHOTOGRAPHY Thread

krosum

TRIBE Member
Not to be confused with the picture thread, i was hoping this could serve as a resource for tips and tricks !!

So I just got my new D80, and after playing around with the settings on it for a while I decided that it is AMAZING how much control you have over the final image.

Sooo... I need a good resource for White Balance. Does anyone have links to good websites, or books to buy, etc. etc.

I know there are a lot of talented photographers on here.

What cameras do you use?

What tips do you have for someone new to a "real" camera?

Cool eh?

K bye.

:)

Alex D. from TRIBE on Utility Room

bitchass

TRIBE Member
I just bought a Canon XTI but have to wait until I'm in San Diego next week to pick it up. I've never even used an SLR before but want to learn. Can't wait.

Rajio

Well-Known TRIBEr
bitchass said:
I just bought a Canon XTI but have to wait until I'm in San Diego next week to pick it up. I've never even used an SLR before but want to learn. Can't wait.

get yourself the thrifty fifty (Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II), its the cheapest canon lens you can get ($50 new!) and you really can do no wrong with this one.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

mgs

TRIBE Member
Rajio said:
get yourself the thrifty fifty (Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II), its the cheapest canon lens you can get ($50 new!) and you really can do no wrong with this one.

Ditto goes for Nikon, the nikon 50mm f/1.8 is a jewel of a lens, and super cheap.

Not super great for DX sensors due to crop factor, but it's sharp & fast!

mgs

bitchass

TRIBE Member
can i ask where to find it for $50? anywhere i've seen it in Canada its about $120 and even on the net, well its not quite that cheap :)

Rajio

Well-Known TRIBEr
yeah it looks like i was mistaken. i could swear i got it a year ago for just over 50 bucks but i cant seem to find it online for that much now. maybe it was the mark I or maybe i did some crazy haggling stuff bur yeah; looks like its $100 now. still a good deal.

Jeremy Jive

TRIBE Member
The price of dSLRs have dropped so much in the last year that it seems they are now almost the new pink. Everyone and their mom has a dslr with a kit lens. I suspect most never leave the comfort of the green square. But all the fun is in the creative modes. I guess the upside to the new popularity is that it's also driving prices down on the more prosumer and pro models.

I think the first question was about advice on white balance. Leave it on auto and worry about it in post. If you are shooting RAW then WB can be set after the fact. Most people do their post workflow in either Lightroom, Bridge or Camera Raw. Personally i like and use Lightroom for workflow.

Also the Canon 50mm f/1.8 MII is $119 retail new but you can find it used for $50-$75. Out of all my lenses it's the sharpest in my bag. However it's made of all plastic (minus the lenses) to keep cost down. It works perfectly and cheap enough to replace if it breaks.

Current Bag
Canon 30D, 17-85 IS USM (walkaround), 28mm 2.8, 50mm 1.8, 70-200mm F4L, 12-24mm F4, 430EX and B+W filters shoved into a Burton Zoom.
Saving for a 24-70 f2.8L then the 17-85 will become a my macro lens until I find a cheap Tamron 90mm Macro.

gasper

TRIBE Member
Jeremy Jive said:
But all the fun is in the creative modes.

I don't think I have ever taken a single actuation in any mode outside of M, S, and A modes. Am I missing out on something? ;)

Jeremy Jive

TRIBE Member
If anyone wants it, I have a DVD from Henry's somewhere around here about the Rebel XT and it's functions. It's of no use to me so hopefully it can go to a good home.

Ok open poll question...

We all know it's about having good glass but what glass do you put on your glass.Filters are good or bad? Do you use them? What kinds do you use and what brands?

Jeremy Jive

TRIBE Member
gasper said:
I don't think I have ever taken a single actuation in any mode outside of M, S, and A modes. Am I missing out on something? ;)
Just compressed jpegs lacking a lot of dynamic range? I know a lot of people walking around with 2k bodies that are permanently stuck on the green square. They don't even make it out to the picture style presets let alone anywhere near the dreaded M

KiFe

TRIBE Member
jer.. your 28mm 2.8 seems like the black sheep of the family. if you get that 24-70, you'll have no use for it at all. unless you're a prime-lens snob :D

My bag is basic:
rebelxt
24-105mm F4 L IS.
10-20mm sigma
70-200mm F4 L (massiv! bigup!)
50mm f1.8
and a kit-lens which collects dust.
And of course, no kit is complete without a flash and radio slave.

i've got everything i need lenswize... Time to move to high definition video. 240fps WOT WOT!

Last edited:

gasper

TRIBE Member
The only filters I own are circular polarizers, but a lot of people insist on UV filters simply to protect their lenses.

Jeremy Jive

TRIBE Member
KiFe said:
jer.. your 28mm 2.8 seems like the black sheep of the family. if you get that 24-70, you'll have no use for it at all. unless you're a prime-lens snob :D
I have the 28 prime for group portraits. It's tack sharp 3.5 and down. True when I pick up my 24-70 it will be somewhat covered but the prime is sharper than even the L so I'll probably hold on to it.

My next lens to track down is a Tokina 10-17 fisheye zoom for snowboarding this winter.

tella

TRIBE Member
Jeremy Jive said:
Current Bag
Canon 30D, 17-85 IS USM (walkaround), 28mm 2.8, 50mm 1.8, 70-200mm F4L, 12-24mm F4, 430EX and B+W filters shoved into a Burton Zoom.
Saving for a 24-70 f2.8L then the 17-85 will become a my macro lens until I find a cheap Tamron 90mm Macro.

check out the 85/1.2. you will wet yourself.

acheron

TRIBE Member
My main concern with lenses is that they should be task based and specialized - I don't want overlap. At the moment my collection is thus:

tokina 12-24 f/4 - covers the wide. high quality construction, contrasty, very happy with it and it costs 1/3-1/3 what the equivalent nikon lens would.

Nikkor 50mm 1.4 - a manual lens. I don't mind manual focus, and I don't want to spend unnecessary funds on AF if I have to.

Micro-Nikkor 55mm 2.8 macro lens - for getting those tiny things in focus - also have an extension tube to go with it that doubles its magnification.

Hartblei 65mm/3.5 tilt-shift lens - for my t/s shots. also a good contrasty portrait lens but I never use it for that.

Nikkor 85mm 1.4 - another manual focus. This is an absolute marvel of a lens. Crisp and clear.

Nikkor 300mm f/4 - manual focus. Good privacy-destroying lens.

The only lens on my shopping list at the moment is an 80-200 f2.8 but I can wait on that for a while...

d.code

TRIBE Member
Hey, anyone got tips on exposure bracketing with the Rebel XT? My friend has one and I want to show him how awesome hdr can be because its right up his alley, but I was having trouble finding an automated function on the camera (if there is one). Anything in way of firm ware hacks, upgrades?

Jeremy Jive

TRIBE Member
d.code said:
Hey, anyone got tips on exposure bracketing with the Rebel XT? My friend has one and I want to show him how awesome hdr can be because its right up his alley, but I was having trouble finding an automated function on the camera (if there is one). Anything in way of firm ware hacks, upgrades?
there is an exposure bracket. it's in the menu under AEB (auto exposure bracketing). Set it all the way out to 2 stops from zero. Then hit set. After that hit the shutter three seperate times and it will take three exposures to be combined later. Also a release cable helps a lot to make sure there is not shake from the shutter and keeping the combined image sharp.

mariazmess

TRIBE Member
Understated said:
beginner and intermediate photographers out there...

this book helped me a lot when i got my first slr...
simple explanations on aperture, shutter, and manual settings with good photo examples...

Understanding Exposure by Bryan Peterson
http://www.amazon.com/Understanding-Exposure-Bryan-Peterson/dp/0817437126
good for digital cams too?
my digital camera is moderate-to-good and i wish i could actually use it properly, but reading the manual ... well, actually, i should just shut up and read the manual.

i <3 taking pics. :)