1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

The Pen is Mightier

Discussion in 'TRIBE Main Forum' started by Bacchus, May 18, 2010.

1. Bacchus

Bacchus TRIBE Promoter

We were debating this at work this mornning. it was on Canada AM and seemed a passionate discussion.

Should Cursive still be taught to our School Children?

2. [SQUARE]

[SQUARE] TRIBE Member

Nice thread title.

Honestly I never use cursive writing other than to sign my name. I have gone through years of schooling and note taking and still found print to be faster and easier to read. I was actually wondering if schools still taught it.
  3. Dirty Girl

Dirty Girl TRIBE Member

I never figured out how to write like that. I have horrible "writing", printing is fine, but writing is just pathetic.

considering they dont even seem to teach kids to read and write properly anymore, I think they should focus on that first over curly pretty letters.
  4. Bacchus

Bacchus TRIBE Promoter

thanks, seems to have been changed :p

having a unique singnature seems to be pretty much the only valueable argument on the Pro-Cursive side.

I've got coworkers who are all like "It's more elegant, and shows that you're cultured...blah blah blah....what if you have to write in a card?...blah blah blah"
  5. Sal De Ban

Sal De Ban TRIBE Member

i write in a few different fonts depending on the situation. cursive handwriting is one of them. Don't you do this on your computer once in a while? Guess where that started...that's right. the pen, so to speak.

since my 'every day' writing is like comic sans, i chose cursive for the condolence card i just wrote in.
  6. Wiseman

Wiseman TRIBE Member

No. Or if it is only as a "look how they used to write" kinda thing for a few weeks which is what I remember being taught about caligraphy.

LeoMom will likely disagree with me on this.
  7. Sal De Ban

Sal De Ban TRIBE Member

i think it is one step in mastering the english language. it may set you apart from someone who is just learning. but this won't matter in most jobs i suppose. it would in mine....i say teach 'em, and teach 'em well.
  8. sk8

sk8 TRIBE Member

I actually learned cursive first. We didn't learn printing. (Montessori)
    I have no idea what the reasoning was behind this.
    I kinda taught myself a weird form of printing when I went into public school in grade 7 and my writing now is like a combination of both, often with both the cursive and printed forms of the same letter in the same word LOL.
  9. Sal De Ban

Sal De Ban TRIBE Member

montessori eh. i like the idea of that learning/teaching style
  10. silver1

silver1 TRIBE Member

IMO it's useless now.

Any lessons in school about it should be no greater than lessons they give on roman numerals.
  11. acheron

acheron TRIBE Member

At least in the Montessori method, cursive is taught first because of a number of reasons:

- at the age of introduction, the child's mind is primed to learn cursive writing in association with the explosion of language - montessori seeks to jump on that opportunity.
    - cursive is more important than printing in that it is faster, more efficient and more stimulating to the mind - there is a more fluid relationship between thought and the written word. It is also easier to read others' handwriting at first glance if one already understands how to write themselves.
  12. LeoGirl

LeoGirl TRIBE Member

You're right. I disagree. I think it is important that children are taught both cursive and printing. Maybe not to the same degree as we were, but they should know how to handwrite.

I also think, spelling need to make a huge come back.
  13. Sal De Ban

Sal De Ban TRIBE Member

speeling and grammars our fore lousers? don[t forget teh typos,
  14. finary

finary TRIBE Promoter

Good thread... It's interesting to see that some people feel it is important to learn cursive. I was never great at printing, let alone cursive and when I had the opportunity to sit in front of a computer for the first time it was natural to me. Since then I have *never* used cursive again, and barely print unless I'm jotting down some notes.

Because my priting isn't the greatest I don't think there is a great 'relationship' with the mind like acheron said... I spend most of the time thinking about how shitty it looks and would rather pull out a keyboard any day. I can type probably 120 wpm and actually enjoy it.
  15. Sal De Ban

Sal De Ban TRIBE Member

butt you're speeling would bee fre3 of typo's~!
  16. erika

erika TRIBE Member

I"m with you on this. I think it's a good small motor skill discipline for kids and should be taught (along with reading) in kindergarten.

In France (and I don't think it's the only place) they still ask for handwritten cover letters with job applications because they do graphology checks for personality indicators.
  17. KiFe

KiFe TRIBE Member

Bring back morse code!
  18. Dirty Girl

Dirty Girl TRIBE Member

19. ian

ian TRIBE Member

Let it die and be taught in the history books. As long as a few scholars know how to read it I'm good with moving on.
  20. KiFe

KiFe TRIBE Member

What they should be teaching is Calligraphy.

So much cooler looking than cursive.
  21. finary

finary TRIBE Promoter

haha touche :)

legible > the odd typo
  22. Sal De Ban

Sal De Ban TRIBE Member

i speak in lucida console most days. it is a lost art
  23. Dirty Girl

Dirty Girl TRIBE Member

I like Book Antiqua myself
  24. bboyrds

bboyrds TRIBE Member

I don't think the method of the writing is as important as the form/structure. Spelling, grammar, and etiquette should be stressed.

In the move (progression?) from paper to digital, I think the art of writing a letter and proper greetings/salutations has been lost.

Helvetica and Century Gothic rule.
  25. Hi i'm God

Hi i'm God TRIBE Member

As long as we all agree kids these days take typing classes to fix texting grammar and forum speak.