1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

The Pacific...

Discussion in 'TRIBE Main Forum' started by Woody, Mar 15, 2010.

1. Woody

Woody TRIBE Member

Anyone else watch it last night? I thought it was pretty good, although a little slow at the beginning. Looking forward to the rest of the series...

2. praktik

praktik TRIBE Member

totally my favourite ocean...

3. acheron

acheron TRIBE Member

Awesome, looks like standards are as great as with Band of Brothers - the slow beginning was deliberate, depicting the unease and confusion leading toward the US armed forces' first confrontations in WW2 after Pearl Harbor. I thought it was a great plot device using a machine gun crew to highlight the chaos of a night battle and then the devastation revealed the next morning.

I'm curious to see how (or if) they deal with Iwo Jima given that Clint Eastwood set the bar pretty high with Flags of our Fathers/Letters from Iwo Jima.

4. coleridge

coleridge TRIBE Member

Will be watching it tonight. Looking forward to this. I'm a big Band of Brothers fan (bought the DVD box set and then bought the Blu-Ray set lol)

I'm glad the pacific theatre is getting the Speilberg/Hanks treatment. Most people are familiar with the European part of World War II but fewer know the horror of the pacific battles. Everytime the US landed on an island they went through another Omaha beach. They fought a vicious enemy that would rather die screaming Bonzai in a futile bayonet charge than suffer the shame of surrender. The march through the pacific saw arguably the most brutal and horrendous fighting of all the Second World War.

5. praktik

praktik TRIBE Member

I'll argue that! Eastern Front was a whole other level... In fact, if the producers have the stones a "Band of Brothers" following a Russian or German unit on the Ostfront would be wicked...

6. Lil'Timmy

Lil'Timmy TRIBE Promoter

I am really really looking forward to this. I remember Christmas of '02, I blazed through the Band of Brothers DVD set in one day, 13 full hours from start to finish

Loved it. Still love Band of Brothers, I don't care what anyone says, Donnie Wahlberg was amazing in it

7. Lil'Timmy

Lil'Timmy TRIBE Promoter

Spielberg did this because of letters he received from soldiers and widows and relatives who fought in this campaign. He has also said "please, send me more!" so he can get an idea of what's next. I think a German take on it all would be spectacular

8. Eclectic

Eclectic TRIBE Member

They could keep making WWII stories and if they lived up to the quality of Band Of Brothers...I would keep watching them over and over and over.

9. diablo

diablo TRIBE Member

I'd like to see a Korean War movie. It was a huge war what's more or less glossed over in western culture (apart from the comedy treatment in M*A*S*H*, where the war was almost incidental).

10. rentboy

rentboy TRIBE Member

yeah, i'd probably say the German/Russia conflict was the most severe and brutal. The Germans also found the Russians to be quite resilient, often attacking even when largely outnumbered. This led to German casualties, where in earlier parts of the war when they steam-rolled over each nation, people just surrendered.

I'm looking forward to checking this out as B.O.B. was great.

11. praktik

praktik TRIBE Member

Apparently 80% of Russian boys born in 1923 didn't survive the war...

12. praktik

praktik TRIBE Member

If you are lucky enough to have work that allows you to listen to people talking while you're doing it (maybe I should be saying "unlucky") or you have a long commute, check out this site: Dan Carlin - Hardcore History Archive

His four part podcast on the eastern front "Ghosts of the Ostfront" is simply amazing - I've been reading a lot on that theatre but I'd put that podcast series right up there in terms of amount of information and particularly in his ability to pick examples that really convey the nature of the war there...

13. rentboy

rentboy TRIBE Member

Yes sir. It's epic and engaging... Carlin is a fantastic narrator too.

I loved his little comment about Russians using this special female sniper group called 'The Untouchables"... named because they were all pin-up types that the male soldiers were forbidden to go near.

14. Woody

Woody TRIBE Member

wow! that was slightly more intense....

15. Big Cheese

Big Cheese TRIBE Member

^^ yeah for sure

totally gave the vibe in the last 5 mins that they were gonna throw the hammer down and kick it into 3rd gear.

also the visual references (close up mug shots of KIA, superficial wounds on key players, etc..) really set an interesting tone and gave you something to chew on throughout the episode.

can't wait 'till next sunday, it's 2001 all over again :eek:

16. KodiaK

KodiaK TRIBE Member

last night's episode was MUCH better than the first.

First episode just jumped around all over the place. Second episode was much more character focused.

17. coleridge

coleridge TRIBE Member

The narration of Tom Hanks at the beginning really helps to put the episode in context. But still I felt like we didn't get a true appreciation for what the Marines accomplished in Guadalcanal. Last night's episode seemed to tie the entire defending of the airfield onto one battle on one night, when in reality the battle for the island lasted 5 months. I think of Band of Brothers and the episode where they dealt with the prolonged stalemate in the Ardenes forest. You came out of that Band of Brothers chapter with a much better understanding of what those soldiers went through I think.

I also feel like we're missing a real central character. Band of Brothers had Dick Winters and his almost mythical story at its heart. Unfortunately the Pacific Theatre didn't really have that kind of hero as far as I know. It was a brutal campaign where few soldiers made it the whole way to VJ day. So I feel right now like we're missing someone central. But perhaps that's going to be the focus of this series. Characters will come and go. I'm reminded of that famous picture of the raising of the flag on Iwo Jima. 3 of the 6 soldiers were killed in less that 2 weeks after that picture was taken.

But overall this series is shaping up to be another great one.

18. Eclectic

Eclectic TRIBE Member

The soldier that suffered the 3rd degree burns carrying the machine gun is the central focus for now.

Also the poet and the guy who's father wanted to keep him away from the war are going to be the focuses.

They said so in the "making of The Pacific" special I watched before the first episode.

19. Fershr

Fershr TRIBE Member

I like it. Its taking a while to get the ball rolling. Because it was a completely different war, the pacific is a different series than band of brothers.

Spielburg isn't using filters as much as he used to though.

And the script is a little over-dramatic. It doesnt feel as human as the original series.

But thats probably because Ive watch BoB's a million times now.

20. atomic

atomic TRIBE Member

hah, I've watched BoB about a dozen times myself.

I agree about us not quite knowing enough of the central characters in the Pacific. BoB firmly established that out of the gate in the first episode of Currahee, where we met Winters, Nix, Sobel, and others. We knew them by name after the first episode, where after the second in the Pacific we're still calling them "that guy". I totally don't know their names yet!

It's tough to put the Pacific next to the perfection of BoB, but it is about every bit as engaging. It's sure to shape up well.

21. Woody

Woody TRIBE Member

the non use of filters was deliberate. The war in Europe was for the most part grey and dingy which is the way it was portrayed in BoB where as the war in the Pacific was fought under bright blue skies.

It is a little hard to follow the "main" characters as a lot of the actors look similar, especially since they seem to be covered in grime most of the time.

John, the guy with the burns is definitely one and will play a much bigger role I think especially once he gets the "medal"...

22. acheron

acheron TRIBE Member

we already know what the plots of each episode will be: (from wiki:)

# Title Directed by Written by Original air date
    1 "Part One" Tim Van Patten Bruce C. McKenna March 14, 2010
    Robert Leckie and the 1st Marines land on Guadalcanal and take part in the Battle of the Tenaru.
    2 "Part Two" David Nutter Bruce C. McKenna March 21, 2010
    John Basilone and the 7th Marines land on Guadalcanal to bolster the defenses around Henderson Field.
    3 "Part Three" Jeremy Podeswa George Pelecanos & Michelle Ashford March 28, 2010
    The 1st Marine Division on Guadalcanal is relieved and arrives in Melbourne, Australia. Basilone receives the Medal of Honor and returns home to sell war bonds.
    4 "Part Four" Graham Yost Robert Schenkkan & Graham Yost April 4, 2010
    Eugene Sledge enlists in the Marines and trains for combat, while Leckie and the 1st Marine Division are put into action at Cape Gloucester.
    5 "Part Five" Carl Franklin Laurence Andries & Bruce C. McKenna April 11, 2010
    Sledge and Leckie land with the 1st Marine Division at Peleliu.
    6 "Part Six" Tony To Bruce C. McKenna, Laurence Andries & Robert Schenkkan April 18, 2010
    The Marines move to capture Peleliu's vital airfield. Leckie is wounded by blast concussion and evacuated.
    7 "Part Seven" Tim Van Patten Bruce C. McKenna April 25, 2010
    Sledge and the 5th Marines move into Peleliu's Bloody Nose Ridge to face the Japanese.
    8 "Part Eight" David Nutter & Jeremy Podeswa Robert Schenkkan & Michelle Ashford May 2, 2010
    Basilone is transferred to the 5th Marine Division and lands at Iwo Jima.
    9 "Part Nine" Tim Van Patten Bruce C. McKenna May 9, 2010
    Sledge and the 1st Marine Division land at Okinawa.
    10 "Part Ten" Jeremy Podeswa Bruce C. McKenna & Robert Schenkkan May 16, 2010
    Sledge and Leckie return home after the Japanese surrender.

I think you guys must be having trouble getting into this because of some kind of obsession with BoB - which was terrific and amazing and everything but don't let it cloud your judgement for this series. Different theatre, different production, different just about everything - but to my mind the only thing that's stayed the same is the high production standards. It is unfair to try to compare a whole miniseries that you've only seen two parts of to a completed one that you've seen many times, that has already won awards and been lauded by critics, written about ad infinitum. You're prejudging the series before it's even finished. Those of you making character judgements... you haven't even gotten to know them yet! It's only been two episodes ffs.

23. Eclectic

Eclectic TRIBE Member

[spoil]He gets shipped home, acts awkward and goes back to fight.[/spoil]

24. rentboy

rentboy TRIBE Member

25. Bacchus

Bacchus TRIBE Promoter

love it.

this followed by breaking bad has made Sunday into drama-tv night, instead of "cartoons that used to be funny" night