• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

the onion interviews arthur c. clarke

Cannabis Seed Wedding Bands

Dr. Grinch

TRIBE Member
Read that earlier this afternoon. Hell of an honor to interview a man like that. Personally I wouldn't know where to begin.

PosTMOd

Well-Known TRIBEr
That completes my trilogy of syncronicities this week:

1) Read 2061, by Clarke.

2) Found out about an actual diamond star being discovered; these stars are heavily in the above book.

3) Now reading the Clarke interview.

Glad I'm not doing any k, or I'd be totally blown away, and like,"Whoa."

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Chubbs

TRIBE Member
matrix_whoa.jpg

PosTMOd

Well-Known TRIBEr
I like Clarke's favourite quotes:

"The best proof that there's intelligent life in the universe is that it hasn't come here."

"If there are any gods whose chief concern is man, they can't be very important gods."

"Religion is the most malevolent of all mind viruses." <--- refers to religion being a meme (or perhaps better: a memeplex)

And, of course, an actual quote from Clarke:

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."

The Tesseract

TRIBE Member
O: The CD-ROM that comes with Time's Eye includes an interview with you, in which you say that gamma-radiation bursts in other galaxies may be indicative of interstellar warfare...

ACC: No, no, I've changed my mind. I think they're industrial accidents.

:) :) :)

windowlicker

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by PosTMOd
That completes my trilogy of syncronicities this week:

1) Read 2061, by Clarke.

personally I think that he should have left 2001: A Space Odyssey alone and refrained from writing the next three books- I waded my way through the two sequels and found them (scientific theories aside) horrible- I'm not even going to try to tackle 3001 or whatever its called (latest addition)

anyway still think he's great writer- nine billion names of god is one of my favourite short stories

PosTMOd

Well-Known TRIBEr
I don't read science fiction as literature, but rather as any other pulp-- a good way to waste a day. Clarke does it with a good dose of reality, so it's a bit better, but otherwise, just a few steps above Crichton.

~atp~

TRIBE Member
^^^ Yah that's kinda the way I feel about it...not to reduce the value of Clarke's writing, but it's largely romantic brain candy...escapism.

Besides I don't want to learn anything anyway, cuz learning involves letting others tell me what to think, or so I've been told by Neo-Marxist. And since he told me what to think, I don't have to do any for myself.

PosTMOd

Well-Known TRIBEr
Hey, I had no idea that atp stood for "a tiny penis".

Man, he burned you, small penis guy. Haha... you have a tiny penis... haha.

~atp~

TRIBE Member
So what would you Clarke fans recommend reading next?

I've only read "Fountains of Paradise" and "2001" ...I'm scared to read the other Odyssey series because I feel like they'll be a let-down.

~atp~

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by The Tesseract
*cough*
Calculating God - Robert J. Sawyer

I've read that. Good book...I felt like he was pushing the story a little bit near the end, but it was definitely climactic. :)

Sentinel - A.C. Clarke

Supertoys will last all summer long - Brian Aldiss

Sentinel! I forgot about that one! Of course, I think that's like # 20 on my reading list right now. :(

Stan

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by ~atp~
So what would you Clarke fans recommend reading next?

Whoa. Way way wayyy too many to name.

Since you're a fan of Clarke, you've probably already heard of Asimov, but in case you haven't read any of his stuff, the Foundation series is definitely a good place to start.

Larry Niven is also excellent for "hard" sci-fi. All of his stories are scientifically sound (at least as far as what was known at the time of their writing). However, alot of his full-length works are kinda weak. His short-story compilations, however, are absolutely top-notch and required reading, IMO. Neutron Star and N-Space, in particular.

The Tesseract

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by ~atp~
I've read that. Good book...I felt like he was pushing the story a little bit near the end, but it was definitely climactic. :)

My copy is autographed :p :D
I also have an autographed copy of Terminal Experiment.

That aside... There are many definate parallels between Calculating God and 2001: Space Odyssey. Partly on account that Mr. Sawyer is a huuuuuge Clarke fan. I wrote an essay on this and my prof commented on that it was a good connection on my part to compare/contrast the two, on account of the fact that Sawyer is a Clarke fan.

Last edited: