• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

The One LP That Changed Your Life.

OhNo!

TRIBE Member
i had been into hip-hop for a few years but when i first heard

Public Enemy-It Takes A Nation of Millions...

it floored me instantly.everything about that lp shaped the way i would view hip-hop for the rest of my life.the intense sample heavy beats,the politically charged lyrics,the dynamic of the group from Flava to the S1Ws.It opened the door for intelligent subject matter in hip-hop music and the impact is still felt today.

Cannabis Seed Wedding Bands

Sugar D

TRIBE Promoter
the years 86-89 were very influential for me.

The albums were:

Follow The Leader- Eric B & Rakim (88)
Strictly Business- EPMD (88)
Paul's Boutique- Beastie Boys (89)
Raising Hell- Run DMC (86)
Public Enemy- It Takes A Nation of Millions (88)

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

beatjunkie

TRIBE Member
Well I don't spin hip hop but I would have to say my number one all time track that still get's regular play in my car is
Notorious BIG - Juicy

bboyrds

TRIBE Member
Raising Hell - Run DMC

Since it's the one that introduced me into hip hop.
Then maybe after that...

93 till Infinity - Souls Of Mischief

Because there has never been an album so good that I put the group in my all time fav's even though all their other albums suck.

Sorry I can't choose just one.

The Kid

TRIBE Member
Beastie Boys - License to Ill

- Listened to that album off one headphone (sharing with a friend) almost every day on the schoolbus for a year.

3rd Bass - Derilicts of Dialect

- First hip-hop tape I bought, listened to it until it stopped working.

dicksherwood

TRIBE Member
Low Profile (89 West Coast with WC)

My first import hip hop tape bought from StarSound (now Traxx) before that I barely knew there was hip hop apart from Maestro and DJ Jazzy Jeff

HMHA

TRIBE Member
i can't pick one...

boogie down productions ~ criminal minded
public enemy ~ it takes a nation of millions to hold us back
de la soul ~ three feet high and rising

terrawrist III

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by ChrisD
Tribe Called Quest - Low End Theory

what hip hop should be

no fuckin' doubt about it...that's why they shouldn't sttempt a comeback...this shit is history...why mess it up, they can stumble easily in today's game...this would have been third on the list for me :)

"back in the day when I was a teenager, before I had status and before I had a pager..."

SO essential...so many days and nights with that in my walkman:D

KickIT

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by terrawrist III
no fuckin' doubt about it...that's why they shouldn't sttempt a comeback...this shit is history...why mess it up, they can stumble easily in today's game...this would have been third on the list for me :)

I really hope they don't attempt a comeback. Last thing I need is another old school act coming back and preaching how old school they are. I hate that shit.

Its up there with an MC telling me to "wave my hands in the air and wave'em like you just don't care"

*c*

terrawrist III

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by KickIT
I really hope they don't attempt a comeback. Last thing I need is another old school act coming back and preaching how old school they are. I hate that shit.

Its up there with an MC telling me to "wave my hands in the air and wave'em like you just don't care"

*c*

SAY HEEEEEEY HOOOOOOO! :rolleyes:

for real...were smarter and need more, we grew up WITH the music so don't treat us like it's 88!...

as for TCQ I juts hope they don't follow up the love movement with yet another one!...especially since they've had retrospectives/best of's etc people have been looking back at once was and EXPECT nohting less!, me included...which is why maybe they should should have called it a career

terrawrist III

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by :: salathe ::
36 chambers
...with bizarre ride being a very close second.

AWWWW bizarre ride... :)

to be honest the only LP from back in the day(s) that im constantly going back to for inspiration is digable planets..reachin AND blowout comb are TOP CHOICE!!, so fuckin good:)

im surprised no one said UMC's fruits of nature:D

zoo

TRIBE Member
if i could only name one

hmm

probably 98 Degrees - 98 Degrees and rising

a truly timeless record

album_98degreesrising_2.jpg

terrawrist III

TRIBE Member
AWWW zoo...always the sarcastic one...what would we do without you here...you give us hope for a better tomorrow, the strength to be more...

(cue 98 degrees beat)