• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

the old school thread

Cannabis Seed Wedding Bands

outofcontrol

TRIBE Member
Thats too funny.
I've been listening to alot of old stuff as of late as well. It's just terribly interesting how this music that I love now, was being done back then while I was religiously attached to my guitar.

I am currently listening to LTJ Bukem live@Fantazia from 93.
If I heard this stuff back then I couldnt even imagine what I would have thought, seeing that I was on a steady diet of Chili Peppers, Pearl Jam, Zeppelin and Hendrix at the time.
I really enjoy seeing now how it's progressed, and I think I'll be putting the first Renaissance comp on after this.
Sasha and Digweed. 3 cds, all 1 full track to each cd!!hahah

geminigirl

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Kwasi
Terry Mullen @ the Dose parties!!!! Holy shit man....

Terry M was the man back in the early 90's.

Yes...he is and always will be my all time fav!

I'd pay anything for him to come back to Toronto again just once before the day comes that I stop clubbing. I think I may have to go on a road trip to see him again. I wish he could get accross the boarder. That would be way too exciting for words!

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

isoprax

TRIBE Promoter
Originally posted by Kwasi
Terry Mullen

Terry Mullan is the man indeed. I still have about 16 (at last count) of his old tapes plus 2 or 3 really old mp3 sets of his AND 2 of his released CD's.

it'a all about the acid beat down he could lay on you. to bad he doesnt play as much - or sometimes any - of that stuff anymore.

( I even have a few boot-legged tapes that no one else has, give tape to sound guy, sound guy records set, you have only copy of that night ;) )

geminigirl

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by isoprax
Terry Mullan is the man indeed. I still have about 16 (at last count) of his old tapes plus 2 or 3 really old mp3 sets of his AND 2 of his released CD's.

it'a all about the acid beat down he could lay on you. to bad he doesnt play as much - or sometimes any - of that stuff anymore.

( I even have a few boot-legged tapes that no one else has, give tape to sound guy, sound guy records set, you have only copy of that night ;) )

Trevor!!!!

We need to hang out so I can record your tapes!! And because I haven't seen you in soooo long! Pretty please!! I'll come over to Wes's next time you're in town or something like that. How's that sound???;)

I have quite a few, but definitely no where near that many.

Pleeeeeaaaase!

Maxine:)

ps...I still think about those days when we went to Dose parties together back in the day, and bustin' out to Terry Mullan. I miss that! *sigh*

Last edited:

poker face

TRIBE Member
Right now in my hand I am holding Sweet Exorcist - Test Four... I am thinking of buying it...but it is really expensive.

pr0nstar

TRIBE Member
When raves were raves...
And it was all "electronic/techno" music.

And still to this day, Airport '94 brings back memories...
Stir-fry sneaking in rum & coke mixed in a coke bottle...
Getting drunk inside, watching darth vader come down from the top of the hanger...
This totally high girl offering me their freezie because I was tired and drunk, she was so nice :p

Dancing to Dominik Hardcore...

pr0nstar :D

case sensitive

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Libradragon
- speed garage
- armand van helden
- "calling your name"
- max graham epic morning trance (there, i said it!)

Okay this has nothing to do with anything really, but I found it interesting. I found out the other day that my manager at FutureShop used to spin Speed Garage at LimeLight with Dino and Terry on a fairly regular basis. He also worked for Z103.5 for a couple of years and has a TON of classic house, euro, hip-hop and garage records.

Of couse as a record collector myself I bust a nut when I hear this information imaging the transfer of these gems from him to me. The dream ended rather quickly though when he said none of them are for sale. Not a great story, but it made work a little more interesting after hearing about some of the gigs he looked after and played at.

matt

Dirt Dawg

TRIBE Member
One tune I still think about from that night is the remix of A-Ha's "Take On Me". I'm still not sure who it's by. I wish I did know, I haven't heard that song in ages! Any ideas, folks? [/B]

I mos Def need a trk ID on this one...

deep

TRIBE Member
here's the access information for the essential mix archive ftp I mentioned before

ftp.essentialmix.ca
login : essentialmix
password : essentialmix

pretty much everything from 93 onwards

Variant

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by seeker
Now there's a fuckin' flashback! "Childhood's End", Sunday's at Limelight. We did that one nearly every sunday for a year, around '95. That's where I started picking up rave fliers (I remember picking up the one for Atlantis w/ Moby at the Island Airport, and never going :(). We initially went for the alt/industrial stuff, but it was the general feel that kept us going back.

heh. nice. Childhoods End got alot of regulars. I initially went there for alt/ind too.. remember hearing Bigod20's Like a Prayer every weekend? jokes.

got my copy of Airport 94 from that night too and life has never been the same since. best rave i ever went to. sorry to rub it in.

seeker

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Variant
heh. nice. Childhoods End got alot of regulars. I initially went there for alt/ind too.. remember hearing Bigod20's Like a Prayer every weekend? jokes.

got my copy of Airport 94 from that night too and life has never been the same since. best rave i ever went to. sorry to rub it in.

hahhahaha and that cover of Alanis' "You Oughtta Know"... man, I miss being in college and able to go out on Sundays.

Casper

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Deep:
platipus records 'ultimate dream collection' was the first electronic music cd I purchased...always amazed at the particular nice platipus records occupied back in the day - not quite full on psy but more 'organic' than most stuff then

platipus definately started it off for me. hearing 'lollipopman-union jack' this weekend made me realize how much i still like trance, and how much i more than liked it back then,
peace

outofcontrol

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by deep
You need a cue file to go with those mp3's...it'll let you jump to specific tracks in the mix..

http://www.regeert.nl/cuesheet/

they aren't mp3's actually. burned from the original disks that were in that format.
The other problem is that Toast (mac) doesn't give the cue sheet option like Nero does, so that sucks that way also.

But thanks again for the link deep. Appreciated:)

deep

TRIBE Member
Ah, I see. There has to be a way to do a direct disc copy that retains track markers, though ? Isn't there an industry standard ripper for the Mac like EAC is for the PC? EAC lets you rip one large continuous file with a cue sheet.

outofcontrol

TRIBE Member
that's what I thought, and figured there would be, but I have not found or I'm unaware if there is. I tried the disk copy thing, but no luck.
I scoured the net a few months back to try and find out some info on how to do it or with what program, but no luck.

deep

TRIBE Member
weird. there's gotta be something that does the job, given how media oriented macs are

drop labrat a line, he knows all things mac

SmoothOperator

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by pr0nstar
When raves were raves...
And it was all "electronic/techno" music.

And still to this day, Airport '94 brings back memories...
Stir-fry sneaking in rum & coke mixed in a coke bottle...
Getting drunk inside, watching darth vader come down from the top of the hanger...
This totally high girl offering me their freezie because I was tired and drunk, she was so nice :p

Dancing to Dominik Hardcore...

pr0nstar :D
You should really be posting on Cydonian.com
That site's dedicated to bringing back those old party memories. Find the flyer for the event...and share your experience from that night! If any of you guys have old pictures from parties...put them up too!!

Still in the process of getting all the flyers scanned and posted. But the majority of flyers from 92 to 96 are up. Still a work in progress!!

JESuX

TRIBE Member
does anyone remember a three disc set that was released probably in late '99, (I'm pretty sure that it was an essential mix set)

Paul Oakenfold

Fatboy Slim

Pete Tong.

Every single one of these cd's has been stolen. I was also told that the album has been deleted and that you can't get it any more, by a friend who works at HMV.

Boo.

Oh, and for the record- Speed Racer, Sesame Street, and Trip 2 tha Moon.

*sigh*

Nesta

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by JESuX
does anyone remember a three disc set that was released probably in late '99, (I'm pretty sure that it was an essential mix set)

Paul Oakenfold

Fatboy Slim

Pete Tong.

Every single one of these cd's has been stolen. I was also told that the album has been deleted and that you can't get it any more, by a friend who works at HMV.

i have all 3 originals. i can burn you copies if you'd like.

Nesta

TRIBE Member
when i think old school, i can't help but think of black box, the klf, and c + c music factory. i was in grade 5 or 6, and dance music was blowing the fuck up!!!

Originally posted by JESuX

Paul Oakenfold

Fatboy Slim

Pete Tong.

Boo.

Oh, and for the record- Speed Racer, Sesame Street, and Trip 2 tha Moon.

*sigh*

The Essential Selection. Fatboy slim's disc was the best of the three, but it was a pretty good compilation of anthems.