• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

the old school thread

Cannabis Seed Wedding Bands

zoo

TRIBE Member
really old essential mixes are great ... i've got dj shadow, darren emerson, sasha, david holmes ...

classics songs that will never die in my eyes:

ltj buken - atlantis (i need you)
underworld - dirty epic
nalin & kane - beachball
bt - remember (sasha remix)
orbital - halcyon & on
 

rentboy

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by el presidente Highsteppa
95 or 96 I think.

Whatever happened to The Grid?

i think it was earlier than that...possibly 94.

A member of the Grid was one half of Propellerheads.
 
tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

deep

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by zoo
really old essential mixes are great ... i've got dj shadow, darren emerson, sasha, david holmes ...

classics songs that will never die in my eyes:

ltj buken - atlantis (i need you)
underworld - dirty epic
orbital - halcyon & on

nice picks

do you have access to the essential mix ftp archive? it's got pretty much everything from 93 onwards...that's where I'm getting the older em's from
 

SmoothOperator

TRIBE Member
The mixes on Cydonian, from all the old Syrous parties take me back. Back to a time when I was ALL about jungle.


I did however listen to Dr Trance's show, along with Deadly Headly. What ever happenned to that guy? Think I may have a few recordings from the radio shows kicking around.
 

Variant

TRIBE Member
Started listening to dr. trance's show when it was on cfny.. then went over to 107.9 and become more trance oriented. there were some classic sets played on his show. Off the top of my head the ones that really set it off: The Dentist from Delbosca, Eryk S, Hartec, Cosmic Baby, Ambient C, Nivoc, Speedy J. Dr. Trance himself often whipped up some amazing mixes himself those days. I loved how the show would get into ambient trance in the last half hour or so. Recorded them religiously.

Best memory from those days - Hearing the Orange Theme for the first time in jan 95.. went to a Subb party that night.. after hearing 8 hours of nonstop beats I still had the Orange Theme in my head. That was around when epic trance really started to bust it out. All those Dentist sets from 95 (especially his set at the first Destiny 3day) really left their mark. His mixtape Deep Trance Trip (har) is worth getting a hold of.. lots of that acidy stuff on their too.

Solid acidy tracks from back then (these all got alot of play on Dr. Trance's show):

Baby Doc & Dentist - Tales of the Seraphin
Tim and Misjah - Access
PH1 - Sizzling Love
Hiroshima - Cyanide (absolute classic)
Legend B - Lost in Love
E-Max - A World Beyond
Mandala - Evolution
 
tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

SmoothOperator

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Variant

Best memory from those days - Hearing the Orange Theme for the first time in jan 95.. went to a Subb party that night.. after hearing 8 hours of nonstop beats I still had the Orange Theme in my head.

post-10-1075662826.jpg
 

Variant

TRIBE Member
haha.. thats the one.

wicked party.. too bad it was busted by the fuzz.. heh.. it was freeezing that night.. too funny watching all the kneehigh sock-tennis-skirt wearing girls running out of that place and down the street in all directions.
 

seeker

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by el presidente Highsteppa
I've also been looking for the essential mix of The Man With No Name as of late, but it's a hard find.

hey man, I've got that one. if we could pursuade The Watcher to hook up that FTP again, I'd be glad to sort you out. :) Some top tunes on that mix.

Deep, did you check out those mixes posted in the Trance room? The old school Goa mix by Kage/Thee-o is excellent. Some great classics on there ("Mars Needs Women").

For me, it's all about Moby. His first LP on Instinct was the first real techno I got into. "Next is the E", "Drop A Beat", "Go"... all classics. From there, it was FSOL, 808 State, Chemical Bros, the "Hackers" soundtrack. I had a steady diet of about 5 or 6 discs that I listened to all the time mixed in with the regular rock/punk/alt/metal stuff I was more into back then.

And the '95/'96 Metalheadz stuff is what totally sealed the deal. "Timeless" and "Platinum Breakz" still get regular play around here.

And, if you have never heard it, defo check out that Platipus comp that deep mentioned.
 

deep

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by seeker


Deep, did you check out those mixes posted in the Trance room? The old school Goa mix by Kage/Thee-o is excellent. Some great classics on there ("Mars Needs Women").

I don't think I have but will now. You know that thread I posted in the trance room re : electronic music between 95-97? Essentially what I realized I was looking for was old school psy / goa.
 

SmoothOperator

TRIBE Member
too funny watching all the kneehigh sock-tennis-skirt wearing girls running out of that place and down the street in all directions.

This "look" used to be my absolute FAVORITE. I hope it makes a come back :D mwuahahahaha
 
tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

seeker

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by deep
I don't think I have but will now. You know that thread I posted in the trance room re : electronic music between 95-97? Essentially what I realized I was looking for was old school psy / goa.

you NEED this set! :D
 

Kwasi

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by deep
terry mullan acid house! i.e. new school fusion

Terry Mullen @ the Dose parties!!!! Holy shit man....

Terry M was the man back in the early 90's.

I remember early Laarent Garnier, Sven Vath's the Halegquian,, the Robot and the .....somethin

Djs Algorithm and Troll hanging out and corrupting everybody's little sisters...!!!! yah that's right!!!

:)

guess we all grown up now eh? .... phat white pants still on stand by!!!!!
 

green_souljah

TRIBE Member
I was listening to Paul Oakenfold's 1995 EM from "Planet Perfecto party in Ibiza" on my way home today.


Great soundtrack to a nice drive.

:)

I even had the window down at one point!
 

deep

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Kwasi
Terry Mullen @ the Dose parties!!!! Holy shit man....

Terry M was the man back in the early 90's.

There are a bunch of his sets floating around on Soulseek...specifically ones from parties in Toronto

Originally posted by green_souljah
I was listening to Paul Oakenfold's 1995 EM from "Planet Perfecto party in Ibiza" on my way home today.

yeah, his goa mix and EM at sydney were awesome
 

sugar

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by mr tall
what year was swamp thing released ? Choon.

It was definitely 1994, because I remember sitting at the top of the hill at the Honey Pot at Destiny 5 (summer of 1994), listening to Dogwhistle (aka Chris Sheppard) spin Swamp Thing, and watching people somersault and kartwheel down the ski slope.

Those were the days :p
 
tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

OhNo!

TRIBE Member
BOMB THE BASS-BEAT DIS

808 STATE- 1 IN 10

INNER CITY- BIG FUN

MARRS-PUMP UP THE VOLUME

JONZON CREW
 

seeker

TRIBE Member
MARRS... nice one. I remember hearing that in grade 9 for the first time and thinking "man, what is this? it's just going around in circles but it's so good!" of course, some d00d had it on a tape about 15 times in a row, so that didn't help the impression of looping I was getting, either.
 

Variant

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by seeker
MARRS... nice one. I remember hearing that in grade 9 for the first time and thinking "man, what is this? it's just going around in circles but it's so good!" of course, some d00d had it on a tape about 15 times in a row, so that didn't help the impression of looping I was getting, either.

heh. reminds me of the first time i heard jungle. after about 30 minutes i kept thinking 'when is this song gonna fukin end?'

and i'm pretty sure swamp thing was released in 93. used to hit limelight on sundays with E!n and he spun it there religiously that year. he got alot of promo stuff though so it could have actually been released in 94.

another classic album is Eon - Void Dweller. lots of amazing stuff off that. actually heard The Spice Must Flow for the first time on electric circus when they did Starsounds pick of the week. the second week they did FSOL - Papua New Ginuea. third week.. 808 State - In yer face.
 

seeker

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Variant

and i'm pretty sure swamp thing was released in 93. used to hit limelight on sundays with E!n and he spun it there religiously that year. he got alot of promo stuff though so it could have actually been released in 94.

Now there's a fuckin' flashback! "Childhood's End", Sunday's at Limelight. We did that one nearly every sunday for a year, around '95. That's where I started picking up rave fliers (I remember picking up the one for Atlantis w/ Moby at the Island Airport, and never going :(). We initially went for the alt/industrial stuff, but it was the general feel that kept us going back.

One tune I still think about from that night is the remix of A-Ha's "Take On Me". I'm still not sure who it's by. I wish I did know, I haven't heard that song in ages! Any ideas, folks?
 
tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders
Top