1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

the old man hangover cure thread

Discussion in 'TRIBE Main Forum' started by Mrs. Pink, Jun 14, 2010.

1. Mrs. Pink

Mrs. Pink TRIBE Member

so, i use to be able to party with the best of them.

now that i've had a lifestyle shift (married, little girl, baby on the way) it's pretty rare that i ever actually go out. When i do, i get the absolute WORST hangovers.

I mean i get the worst headaches, i have zero energy. All from moderate consumption of beer. I think this Saturday i had 6 pints or so......

So let's talk about some things you could do to help hangovers. I never really tried anything before, i use to just stay in bed and sleep it off......but now i don't have that luxury.....so, let's avoid the obvious advil water type stuff....i'm aware of the obvious....but i just wonder what others do? Any cures for the boozey flu anyone?

2. JamesM

JamesM TRIBE Member

bacon, eggs, then down an energy drink, and then a coffee. Good to go.

3. diablo

diablo TRIBE Member

Fresh air.

A wank (get those endorphins flowing!)

4. alexd

alexd Administrator Staff Member

Try the new agey stuff! Get acupuncture! Go to a Chinese herbalist and get some emergency hangover cures!

5. She

She TRIBE Member

Screw the “I’ve had a lifestyle shift” bullshit….the truth is YOU’RE OLD!!

Face the facts Lunnen.

6. LeoGirl

LeoGirl TRIBE Member

*snicker*

7. Mrs. Pink

Mrs. Pink TRIBE Member

I refuse to accept that is why i get bad hangovers. I'm not old, i'm just "aged".

8. Mrs. Pink

Mrs. Pink TRIBE Member

this would probably cause me to barf.

9. Fillmore

Fillmore TRIBE Member

I am proud to say that I am 31 and do not get hangovers anymore. I started taking a Milk Thistle pill before I go out drinking. You can grab them from any health foods store or even shoppers drugmart.

I use to get the worst hangovers in my late twenties but nothing since I started taking Milk Thistles

Good luck!

10. LeoGirl

LeoGirl TRIBE Member

like cheese, and just as stinky :p

11. coleridge

coleridge TRIBE Member

Restate tried-and-true obvious:

Water before bed, aspirin before bed, NOT ADVIL. Aspirin again when you wake up. Aspirin actually helps your liver deal with alcohol. Ibuprofen (Advil) can react with the alcohol to actually make you feel worse.

Now here's the secret weapon:

Pedialyte. It's a children's drink available at any pharmacy meant to help children rehydrate from diarrhea and vomiting. But it works wonders on hangovers.

12. LeoGirl

LeoGirl TRIBE Member

I've got coupons for Pedialyte... I'll send them express post.

13. sk8

sk8 TRIBE Member

As someone who has had a similar "lifestyle shift", I understand your pain. I understood it pretty well yesterday actually....

For me it's all about rehydration. My personal favourite is blue powerade, water alone just doesn't cut it. If I had remembered I would have drank one before bed too, but instead I had two when I woke up. Then a good solid breakfast involving bacon and some tea.

14. The Watcher

The Watcher TRIBE Member

While drinking:
    Drink water between alcoholic drinks...

Before Bed:
    Large glass of water
    Eat something meaty or greasy
    2 Advil before going to bed

Morning:
    2 Advil as you wake up
    Coffee
    Orange Juice
    Bacon, Eggs, Hashbrowns
    Vitamins or Vitamin water
    Get your heart rate up for 20 minutes to get your blood flowing
    Get some sun

15. PAUZE

PAUZE TRIBE Promoter

16. acheron

acheron TRIBE Member

17. alexd

alexd Administrator Staff Member

Like Fillmore says, Milk Thistle will help your liver recover. You can take caps, but there is a milk thistle syrup from France you can get in health food stores called Hubaton that is better

[​IMG]

It tastes OK and is really effective. I would take a slug the day before and for a couple of days after. Refrigerate after opening.

There is also an Ayurvedic herbal combination called Liv-52 you can get at some health food stores and ebay that is excellent. It does not contain milk thistle, but rather a combination of other herbs that are as effective.

[​IMG]

18. ian

ian TRIBE Member

PEOPLE. . . DO NOT TAKE ADVIL IF YOU HAVE BEEN DRINKING.

UNLESS YOU WANT ONE OF THESE IN YOUR STOMACH.

[​IMG]

See that hole? That's where you're about to bleed out.

19. ila

ila TRIBE Member

you pill poppers need to rethink shit. popping advil before/after drinking is dangertown for your stomach lining.

Ulcers - What you can do to heal your ulcer

You need to drink water and consume food while drinking. Polish off a full glass of water before bed. Have some juice and toast with butter when you wake up and if your stomach is narly, take some ginger gravol. Doesn't knock you out, cures the pukishness.

20. agentRC4

agentRC4 TRIBE Member

This is me too.

If I drink I'm done for the next 2 days.

What works for me is a large Gatorade and 2 Aleive! before bed.

Wake up at 5am and drink another Gatorade and 2 more Aleive's

Around 11am I have a large Redbull and I'm good to go.

21. agentRC4

agentRC4 TRIBE Member

Only if you habitually use booze and advil and such. One off occasions you'll be fine.

22. mingster

mingster TRIBE Member

i know you wanted to leave out discussions on the obvious stuff. but the obvious stuff is obvious stuff for a reason.

water is your friend.

23. jared k

jared k TRIBE Member

24. mandapanda

mandapanda TRIBE Member

it's all about the water. nothing works as effectively for me. as long as i down 2-3 large glasses before passing out in a stupor, i'm usually fine.

25. MissBlu

MissBlu TRIBE Member

dude, aleve is naproxen, and while its awesomesauce it will tear apart your stomach and 4 within a 24 hour time period is nuts.

pedialyte, gatorade, anything with electrolytes works for me.