• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

The old E!SPACE revisited

loopdokter

TRIBE Promoter
Originally posted by Dr Trance
I remember that party vividly. I was sooooo impressed with the space and decor (remember the pick up truck that was jutting into the middle of the room?) and the overall attitude of these Thunder Bay imports who were actuially giving out free candy and water, if I remember correctly...
And that's where I first met Jelo!
I was also quite flattered when the E! folks told me that they patterned the look of their parties on the old Nitrous events.

Mem'ries....

Oh man. Don, I remember meeting you a few times there but I'm not quite sure if you were aware of who I was by that point! I think that was the beginning of our friendship though. I seem to recall the first time I ran into was at a party on Dufferin run by some English guy under the name of Cultural Vibes.

Anyway, I went to this place many times in 2nd year university as my friend Marinko often DJed there at the time. I think I might have even graced the decks there once but my memories from those nights are hazy.

There used to be this hippy guy who would roam about the place handing out free mushrooms. He just gave me a hanful, said "Have fun" and walked away. Surreal! That particular night I remember just walking out into the parking lot after everything had finished and my friend and I just sitting in his car tripping our heads off and being too fucked to move anywhere fast.

The place was sort of sketchy, but that added to the appeal! It was certainly full of interesting characters!

And whatever happened to Citrus, Ryan-7, etc?

Cheers,
J<

randyval

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by scruffy1
never partied there, but.... it was an old slaughter house?
i remember that place, right near the end of the eglington street car, i didnt remember till i read slaughter house, and yes it did.
great times :D

MartyMcFly

TRIBE Promoter

Last I heard He went to Audi/ VW School.
One of my friends took the same course as him.
That was a few years ago though.

Don't know about Ryan 7. You gotta love a dJ who could do breakdancing head spins between mixes.

sam

TRIBE Member
Re: E Space re-dux

Originally posted by Dr Trance
FYI-The E! Space that Marty is talking about and most of you are remembering here was actually where Len and Jeanine LIVED, which was not the actual area of the former slaughterhouse; that was next door (albeit part of the same building).

The first time I went to a party in the bigger space it was underground bliss: taking a freight elevator to the dance space on the 2nd floor, dancing in two back room warehouse spaces (one of which played host to Ultrasonic, one of the best live techno bands ever), enjoying decor that you knew was never again going to be used made especially for the party , being so far out of the "loop" and totally in an industrial area so that we KNEW the cops would never notice, seeing the same friendly folks that came out every week to a different space to enjoy the party and the music and not just take drugs and fall down.

And I didn't know until after the party that the building had been used as a slaughterhouse. There was certainly no indication of that to me or my friends that night. And at future parties I never noticed any smell or blood stains that would have indicated what the rooms had been used for at one time. I think some peoples' imaginations went into overdrive when they heard what that building had been. It was never as gross as has been suggested in this thread. And the subsequent E! Space was NEVER gross and dirty because people lived there. It was in fact one of the best (and cleanest) spaces that has ever been used in this city on a regular basis (imho).

The E! Team was also responsible for keeping the original vibe alive while the massive parties were changing the face of the scene (not an indictment of the massive parties, which were good in their own right-before they all moved to the two clubs that host them now). If you remember a night at 28 Gunns Rd, then you remember the last of the classic days of the rave scene in Toronto.

I have such great memories of those days both at Len and Janine's party place/home, and the big 'ole slaughterhouse nextdoor.

I threw my first Thirdstar rave @ 28 Gunns Rd. And I agree, the freight elevators were a wicked part to that space. I spent like four days in that space decorating and even slept over a couple of nights to get everything ready...and let me tell you, that in itself was quite a freaky experience. Your mind tends to play tricks on you when you're alone in a big dark warehouse. I did my fair bit of exploring, and I wouldn't go near the slanted floor room which I believe was used as the "acid" room at one of the Destiny parties that was held there previous.

Cheers,
Sam

The Kid

TRIBE Member
Re: Re: E Space re-dux

Originally posted by sam
I have such great memories of those days both at Len and Janine's party place/home, and the big 'ole slaughterhouse nextdoor.

I threw my first Thirdstar rave @ 28 Gunns Rd. And I agree, the freight elevators were a wicked part to that space. I spent like four days in that space decorating and even slept over a couple of nights to get everything ready...and let me tell you, that in itself was quite a freaky experience. Your mind tends to play tricks on you when you're alone in a big dark warehouse. I did my fair bit of exploring, and I wouldn't go near the slanted floor room which I believe was used as the "acid" room at one of the Destiny parties that was held there previous.

Cheers,
Sam

you threw the thirdstar parties eh? props yo, always had a great time!

what ever happened to split pea soup?!

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

sam

TRIBE Member
Re: Re: Re: E Space re-dux

Originally posted by The Kid
you threw the thirdstar parties eh? props yo, always had a great time!

what ever happened to split pea soup?!

Thanks for the props :)

Split Pea Soup, eh? That name brings back memories in itself....they closed the last Thirdstar event...held at the Reverb.

Brian Ireland (aka Dj Split at the time) is still around producing and spinning out here and there.

Ali Black, the second half of the duo, is still spinning of course. He playes at RNB parties mostly. I believe he's on the bill with Boo Williams this weekend at Arc.

Cheers,
Sam

The Kid

TRIBE Member
That's funny, I didn't realize Ali was the other half, have known him for years...!

*chuckle*

MartyMcFly

TRIBE Promoter
I threw my first Thirdstar rave @ 28 Gunns Rd.

Hey Sam, hello again. I remember those. I remember you to now. I dont recall though if I had dJ'd at one of your events way back when... maybe you remember? I was pretty new to the toronto scene at that time.

sam

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by MartyMcFly
Hey Sam, hello again. I remember those. I remember you to now. I dont recall though if I had dJ'd at one of your events way back when... maybe you remember? I was pretty new to the toronto scene at that time.

Hey Marty...what's up!!

Looooong time no see. I think you did throw down a short set at one of my events at Isabella, although you weren't on the bill.

Man, this thread has brought back such great memories. Hangin' out with Len, Joe, Janine and the crew back in the day....those were some fun times. Hard to believe that is going on like 8 years ago now. Time sure flies.

Happy to see you're out and about in the scene still....things are so different now.

Cheers,
sam

unique2100

TRIBE Promoter
Originally posted by Flanders
A toonie was almost halfway to a 10 pack of yellowjackets!

Good times, yellow bellies + mushrooms.
My friend reached int o his poket to sell this girl 10 speed pills but gave her 10 e's by mistake. When we realised where the fuck did all the e's go we frantcially looked for her, found her , told her. She said she had taken 4 of them we were like wtf!!!!!!!!!1 she wasnt even mad though we saw her later she couldnt stop thanking us. That party was on new years with a huge sign in the corner that said slam e here. Crazy

MentalFloss

TRIBE Member
Revive the pictures and/or videos?

Since I'm posting this 11 years later, many of the pictures and videos aren't viewable any longer.

I'd like to get the images to Len (SOS) and possibly post them to Facebook so others who aren't on this board can see them. (PLEASE tell me if you don't want them posted there)

I just discovered this thread and it was a great summary of a very significant space (and the E!Network events in general everywhere) in the past for me personally and for the Toronto scene. Also going revive/reference Dr. Trance's description of the space and how the event space wasn't really the slaughterhouse itself:

http://www.tribemagazine.com/board/tribe-main-forum/65050-old-e-space-revisited-2.html#post1908672

I remember playing many events there, first Hullabaloo among others. I remember a guy coming up after my set and asking about his friend DJ Spock coming to play at a future event, think I got him in touch with Chris (Anabolic Frolic) and Spock headlined a future Hullabaloo. I remember DJing (and that was rare -- I was a LivePA playing my own music those years) in the back room at some event for far longer than I should have.

And waiting for the streetcar to come... when will you come... it's freezing...

loopdokter

TRIBE Promoter
I remember playing many events there, first Hullabaloo among others. I remember a guy coming up after my set and asking about his friend DJ Spock coming to play at a future event, think I got him in touch with Chris (Anabolic Frolic) and Spock headlined a future Hullabaloo.

That very likely would have been Mike Bos. Spock was a friend of his and would come over from the Netherlands to visit Mike - who was born in Holland - to visit him and his family. Seeing as he spent decent amount of time here, Mike took it upon himself to get gigs for Spock. I remember him helping Spock score that gig.

I'd often hang out with Mike when I lived in St. Catharines. He designed several of my mixtape covers for me back when graphic design was a chore on a computer. He also frequented a night I co-promoted with Marinko Jareb called Disco3000 at Gord's Place in St. Catharines and I'm pretty sure had Spock play there too.