• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

The official vehicular advice thread

Littlest Hobo

TRIBE Member
sk8 said:
i'm looking into a swift too!

a girl here at work has one and says it's great...

I have a 98 Swift and at 235000 km it's an unstoppable tank. Very, very reliable. But, like a couple who take separate vacations the end is near (rust, slight frame bend from colliding with a guardrail, weird sounds etc). I was wondering about the newer Swifts, if they are as good. Also the SX4 looks sharp.
 

sk8

TRIBE Member
hers is a 05 or an 06 and seems great (she drives me home lots)

I was looking into leasing new as I have zero cash up front.
 

Ditto Much

TRIBE Member
coleridge said:
How about the Nissan Micra convertible:

pink-barbie-nissan-micra.jpg


Depends on if i can get it in "Richard Hammond Pink" or if I'm forced to get it in some uncool colour.
 
tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

kuba

TRIBE Member
ditto- why not tell your sister to go on leasbusters and instead of her putting money down- she'd get money back in some cases?
 

salad

TRIBE Member
kuba said:
ditto- why not tell your sister to go on leasbusters and instead of her putting money down- she'd get money back in some cases?
He said one requirement was that it must be a new car.

Yes, you can get a "cash incentive" for some of the leases on there, but that is only because you are overpaying on the monthly payment.

For a 3 years lease, driving a car and paying $500 a month for the first 18 months is much better than the person who drives the second 18 months and pays $500/month. They both pay the same price, yet only one gets to drive a new car. Hence, the cash incentive, that effectively lowers your monthly payments.
 

swenard

TRIBE Member
salad said:
He said one requirement was that it must be a new car.

Yes, you can get a "cash incentive" for some of the leases on there, but that is only because you are overpaying on the monthly payment.

For a 3 years lease, driving a car and paying $500 a month for the first 18 months is much better than the person who drives the second 18 months and pays $500/month. They both pay the same price, yet only one gets to drive a new car. Hence, the cash incentive, that effectively lowers your monthly payments.

That's not exactly why they have the cash incentive. They have the cash incentive on cars that are over their km limit. This way, they're paying you for the extra km's you will have to pay at the end.
 

salad

TRIBE Member
swenard said:
That's not exactly why they have the cash incentive. They have the cash incentive on cars that are over their km limit. This way, they're paying you for the extra km's you will have to pay at the end.
They can have a cash incentive for that reason too, along with several other reasons. But bottom line, the major reason for the cash incentives is that no one (in their right mind) would pay the monthly lease costs of a new car, only to drive around in a used car.

Having said that though, many of the ones that do not offer cash incentives, are because the original lessee put down a significant downpayment.
 
tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

swenard

TRIBE Member
salad said:
They can have a cash incentive for that reason too, along with several other reasons. But bottom line, the major reason for the cash incentives is that no one (in their right mind) would pay the monthly lease costs of a new car, only to drive around in a used car.

Having said that though, many of the ones that do not offer cash incentives, are because the original lessee put down a significant downpayment.


You do realize that even though you're paying the same payment, you're only paying it for the remainder of the lease, right?

So, why wouldn't you pay the payment? Half the cars already paid off!

Leasebusters is not a bad deal. In fact, there are lots of great deals on there!

As far as the incentives go, you're right. Some of the incentives are for dents, excessive wear and tear, tears in the upholstery, etc.
 
Last edited:

salad

TRIBE Member
swenard said:
You do realize that even though you're paying the same payment, you're only paying it for the remainder of the lease, right?

So, why wouldn't you pay the payment? Half the cars already paid off!
Half of the car is not paid off. Half of the payments are made. There is quite a difference. In many cases, the loan on the vehicle at the mid-point of a lease is "upside-down". That means, that the amount to be paid in remaining payments is greater than the vehicle's current market value MINUS the residual price.

You must remember that the value of a vehicle does not drop lineraly and is usually curved with depreciation occuring mainly towards the beginning of the term.

Therefore, (in the cases explained above), paying an equal monthly amount during the second half of the term is "overpaying" for the value of the car during that timeframe.

Too many people look at the payments when evaluating a lease. The payments are the LEAST important part of the deal. They are simply a by-product of the loan arrangement. And this is where most people are ignorant when it comes to understanding the value behind a lease.
 
tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

sk8

TRIBE Member
anyone drive a Kia? rio5 is what i'm looking at...

any good? they have this fancy financing program that may mean i can finance and not lease and therefore not freak out about kms.....
 

Bean

TRIBE Member
slick said:
anyone ever buy a car in USA for use in CANADA?? what do you just pay GST @customs?? anyone...

it *might* be difficult for you to sell it at the end of its life with you. i have a friend in the reverse situation. he moved from canada to the US to work and is finding it impossible to sell his canadian car in the US.
 

Subsonic Chronic

TRIBE Member
Question: should I be able to swap out a car radio on my own or is this something best left to the pros? I'm not adding any new speakers or amps, just looking to replace the radio/stereo unit itself.

Since my 98 Jetta broke down a month ago the stereo went into "safe" mode and I haven't had any luck tracking down the radio code needed to unlock it. At this point I'm just thinking it'll be easier to get a new stereo since all I need is something with an input from my mp3 player.
 

Lurker

TRIBE Member
Subsonic Chronic said:
Question: should I be able to swap out a car radio on my own or is this something best left to the pros? I'm not adding any new speakers or amps, just looking to replace the radio/stereo unit itself.

Since my 98 Jetta broke down a month ago the stereo went into "safe" mode and I haven't had any luck tracking down the radio code needed to unlock it. At this point I'm just thinking it'll be easier to get a new stereo since all I need is something with an input from my mp3 player.

Hey Pete,

Yeah, it's pretty straight forward. You might need to buy a little pigtail adapter to plug the new radio into the existing wiring harness.

That, or cut & splice the wires yourself, which is also easy enough.

If you buy one at Future Shop, if there's one near there, they might throw in free installation.
 
tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Lurker

TRIBE Member
Bean said:
it *might* be difficult for you to sell it at the end of its life with you. i have a friend in the reverse situation. he moved from canada to the US to work and is finding it impossible to sell his canadian car in the US.

US to Canada is easy enough. Just follow the rules and do NOT bullshit the border guys or you'll be in for a lot of hassle. Just be straight with them, and have your paperwork together and it's fine. I know someone who does this for a living now that he's retired. He goes to the US and rescues classic cars in need of restoration for buyers in Ontario, does all the transport & paperwork too.

Canada to the US is impossible. They won't issue plates for a Canadian car down there.

Transport Canada import regs
 

the_fornicator

TRIBE Member
slick said:
anyone ever buy a car in USA for use in CANADA?? what do you just pay GST @customs?? anyone...

this is not a simple question as there's a load of paperwork involved. not incredibly hard, but time consuming. I have friends that did this and took them about 3 weeks in research time.

don't even bother trying to do this unless:
a) you're buying a car worth over $35-40,000 -that is, if your main purpose is to save money on a car. not a finite boundary by any means, just something that I noticed.
b) if you break rule a, it should be a dream car of some sort as the price you end up paying will be about the same as if you were to buy Canadian. But if it's an older car, you might wanna do this as the body's probably in better shape when comapred to its canadian counterpart (i.e. car in florida)
 

salad

TRIBE Member
Subsonic Chronic said:
Since my 98 Jetta broke down a month ago the stereo went into "safe" mode and I haven't had any luck tracking down the radio code needed to unlock it. At this point I'm just thinking it'll be easier to get a new stereo since all I need is something with an input from my mp3 player.
Have you asked the dealer? I had that happen to a vehicle of mine years ago, and one person at the dealership said I had to buy a whole new stereo.

I then went back a few days later and talked to another guy and he just gave me the master code that unlocked the stereo. Even if they don't want to give it to you, offer them $40 or something to type in the code themselves.
 

swenard

TRIBE Member
sk8 said:
anyone drive a Kia? rio5 is what i'm looking at...

any good? they have this fancy financing program that may mean i can finance and not lease and therefore not freak out about kms.....


I can't speak for all KIA's but my wife has been driving one for 7 years, trouble free. It comes with a 5 year bumper-to-bumper warranty too!
 

wooter

TRIBE Member
Hi tribe.

Which one should I go for:

montego1.jpg

BMW 118d 2d Sporthatch Business Line 144hp

vs

l_7bfebf0f9cde4a9b7a57e05062e78db6.jpg

BMW 320d Option Line 163hp

Both have the business radio, automatic aircon, leather steering wheel, standard seats, foglights. The 320d only lacks a cruise control, which I feel is a must-have.

I've done already a test drive in a 118d. The 320d is something i will be trying out next weekend.
 
Last edited:
tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders
Top