• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

The Official Stanley Kubrick Thread

DSV

TRIBE Promoter
Stanley Kubrick is/was fucking awesome.

2001 is probably the best movie ever!!!

BigBadBaldy

TRIBE Member
STANLEY KUBRICK = SHEER FILM GENIUS

Impossible to dismiss or overrate. Revolutionary body of work. Definitely one arist I am completely in awe of.

Gunark

TRIBE Member
I liked the movie with that guy who did the thing with that other thing. That was a great movie.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Eccentric (LRG)

TRIBE Member
I'm gonna go with the hyping of
2001:A Space Odyssey and Clock work orange.

GENIUS....

first time I watched both these movies I was stoned as fack and they blew my mind.

Since then I've watched them several times and I continue to be blown away.

I also love Full metal Jacket.

Kubrick was a master of his time.

Boss Hog

TRIBE Member
I still haven't seen all his films but the ones I've seen I have seen over and over and over again. The Shining, Clockwork Orange, 2001, Eyes Wide Shut, Full Metal Jacket. His films are a film class upon themselves.

BBB have you seen the rest and what's your fave?

Jennika

TRIBE Member
last christmas I sprained my foot and was laid up here at the pad. we had no cable and the only DVD's we had were the Kubrick library that josh got for Christmas. So I watched 7 Kubrick films in about 2.5 days

needless to say I felt a little tweaked after that... but his genius was confirmed for me.

DSV

TRIBE Promoter
I just saw Barry Lynon the other night, and I thought it was great.

I also recently saw an earlier flick of his, The Killing. It was pretty good. Definitely groundbreaking for it's time; and also it is a blueprint for the structure of most(all) Tarantino flicks. Some cool camera work. Nice long tracking shots thru different rooms and stuff. Very dark and cynical.

Boss Hog

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by DSV
and also it is a blueprint for the structure of most(all) Tarantino flicks.

what a surprise there, nothing Tarantino does is original. It's just rewrapped for a different generation/market.

OhNo!

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Boss Hog
what a surprise there, nothing Tarantino does is original. It's just rewrapped for a different generation/market.
...and kubrick wasn't drawing on welles for alot of his ideas?

Eccentric (LRG)

TRIBE Member
awe lets not argue in the Kurbick appreciation thread boyz and galz....
:D

theres no need for a bit of the ole ultra violence here.

In and outs are fine by me though... ;)

DSV

TRIBE Promoter
Originally posted by OhNo!
...and kubrick wasn't drawing on welles for alot of his ideas?
Kubrick definitely was inspired by Welles. But Kubrick took things to a whole next level. There are so many things in movies (and pop culture) we take for granted that Kubrick created.

Casey

TRIBE Member
2001 is awesome. When the ape picks of the femur and stats using is as a 'tool' (weapon), I laugh so hard. So very hard.

He's an innovator and a man who took inspiration from others. While Barry Lyndon was an extreme bore, the ground that he broke with cameras and lighting (he managed to light almost all of Barry Lyndon by candlelight and developped a unique camera that would be able to "see" by that little bit of lighting alone).

Eyes Wide Shut I don't think it was Kubrick's fault nor vision. It was incomplete and was put out by the studio despite that fact. I think that Tom Cruise and Nicole Kidman would have been doing reshoots for another couple of years if he was still alive, and I think it probably would have been a very different movie, as probably would have been the case for A.I. if he had still been involved.

Eccentric (LRG)

TRIBE Member
^^^ you are very wise James.
I agree with you entirely.
Eyes wide shut and A.I were quite.......rushed and incomplete.
Which is Why I think I hardly enjoyed them at all.
The endings were, for lack of a better word, horrible. IMO of course.
It's a shame aswell.
They had the makings to be so good.

BigBadBaldy

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Boss Hog
BBB have you seen the rest and what's your fave?
I've seen all his feature length films but two of his earlier ones ("The Killing" and "Fear And Desire"), and I don't think I could pick a favourite. "Dr. Strangelove", "Lolita", "A Clockwork Orange", "2001: A Space Odessey", "Full Metal Jacket", "The Shining" are all my favourites of his, for different reasons. I don't think I could pick between one of those being better than the others.

I enjoy all of his films in one way or another, even those deemed to be critical failures ("Barry Lyndon", "Eyes Wide Shut") and his reshaping of "Spartacus" halfway through the production is interesting, "Paths Of Glory" is an intense film.. :)

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

TRO

TRIBE Member
I'm acctually reading clockwork orenge right now

it's a really strange book...the language is tough at times..it's like russian slang:p

-Bill

DSV

TRIBE Promoter
Originally posted by el presidente Highsteppa
While Barry Lyndon was an extreme bore...
Eyes Wide Shut I don't think it was Kubrick's fault nor vision. It was incomplete and was put out by the studio despite that fact
I liked Barry Lyndon. It had a nice ironic tone pervading the whole thing. And I thought the cinematography was quite pleasurable. Also, the themes that he plays with, the way he gets your mind working is brilliant. And that final duel was amazing, so much tension!

As for Eyes Wide Shut, my understanding is that it was finished and Kubrick was happy with it; but that he didn't get a chance to screen it, and he was known for making small adjustments after showing the film a few times. I liked that movie as well. The very end may have been a bit anti-climactic, but the whole last act of that movie is classic Kubrick. The pacing, the camera work, it all seems to stimulate pleasure centers in my brain that no other director seems to pull off.

Last edited:

chipotle

Well-Known TRIBEr
I have seen most of his films but not all of them. So all of the ones that I have seen are incredible. The shinning is amazing! and so is 2001, Dr. Strangelove ...etc etc.

All very good films. The one that I really really like though is 2001...'cause it is a space flick.