• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

The OFFICIAL Election Night Thread: Ridings to Watch, Predictions and RESULTS

AdRiaN

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by vox
am i the only one in the world who thinks minority governments are the best thing going?
Canadians are funny sometimes -- we claim to prefer minority governments as fostering "compromise" among political parties, then we complain about going to the polls every 18 months.

I_bRAD

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by acheron
I was very happy to see that Liberal Sarmite Bulte got her ass handed to her by Peggy Nash of the NDP in Parkdale-High Park...

NASH, Peggy NDP - 40.0%
BULTE, Sarmite LIB - 36.0%
KLUFAS, Jurij - 17.1%

Yay for Peggy Nash! First time ever my candidate became the MP!

Also, got a phone call from Bill Blair yesterday evening on behalf of her. I had no idea he supported NDP!

thom100

TRIBE Member
I was very happy to see that Liberal Sarmite Bulte got her ass handed to her by Peggy Nash of the NDP in Parkdale-High Park...

NASH, Peggy NDP - 40.0%
KLUFAS, Jurij - 17.1%

I'm glad to see Peggy win as well, where are you getting the numbers form, I'l like to look at some of the stats?

~atp~

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by AdRiaN
Canadians are funny sometimes -- we claim to prefer minority governments as fostering "compromise" among political parties, then we complain about going to the polls every 18 months.
What's so funny about that? I like the idea of an accountable government, but does that necessarily imply an election every 18 months?

AdRiaN

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by ~atp~
What's so funny about that? I like the idea of an accountable government, but does that necessarily imply an election every 18 months?
In the current political climate, yes.

None of the parties in this country are willing to form a solid coalition to govern, and having the Bloc as a major seat-holder in Parliament poses an even greater challenge.

BigBadBaldy

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by AdRiaN
Do we complain? Or does the media just tell us that we do? I didn't hear anyone complain about the election, personally.

I think that given the reality of the current political climate in Canada that the result of last night's election was the best that could have been hoped for. I'm all for minority governments, and there was no way in hell the majority of Canadians were going to give the Liberals parliament again.

Last edited:

AdRiaN

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by BigBadBaldy
Do we complain? Or does the media just tell us that we do? I didn't hear anyone complain about the election, personally.
Well, my comment was a bit tongue-in-cheek, since obviously "Canadians" are not a monolithic group.

Nonetheless, polling data in the months leading up to both non-confidence votes in the last Parliament showed that most respondents did not want an election (especially a Christmas election). With respect to the media, I would tend to think they have a greater interest in encouraging elections since it makes for better news.

basilisk

TRIBE Member

NASH, Peggy NDP - 40.0%
KLUFAS, Jurij - 17.1%
Yeah, this made my fucking night... adios, Marmite!

Shug

TRIBE Member
Personally, I think this is the best possible outcome of the poor expectations I had. Martin's out, giving the Libs a chance to restructure/revamp and wipe some egg off their face, the NDP gained seats and volume of voice, and the Conservatives are in a very controllable minority.

Hopefully the Conservatives will blow their load and fuck it up (eg. possible upcoming Iran conflict, push for militarism that backfires, serious economic/social services mistakes causing populist outcry, Harper making some international gaffes that embarass Canada, hell, even a downturn in our economy will fall on his shoulders... they're on a very thin tightrope, they need to watch themselves) enough that there will be a large swing back to red..... but not enough of a Blue fuckup that serious damage is done to Canada.

The coming months are going to be interesting, politically. Let's hope everyone plays nice and some work gets done for a change. The libs need to fire whoever was handling their campaign PR, and hire whoever the Cons had. Oh wait, the Cons' PR was on loan from the US, nm...

praktik

TRIBE Member
I'm with you shug! Im very happy with the election results!! I wanted the liberals knocked down a peg, and the conservatives not so powerful that they could do any real damage...

In my fantasies the Greens won a seat or two, and the NDP did better in Toronto and out west... but heck.. we got a good result from what was looking to be a serious disaster!

If the liberals were in another minority, MAYBE that woulda been cool, but I woulda still felt like they wouldnt be feeling the pain they SHOULD be feeling...