• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

The OFFICIAL Election Night Thread: Ridings to Watch, Predictions and RESULTS

Spinsah

TRIBE Member
One of the most dramatic elections of our lifetime is upon us this evening, and with all signs pointing to a Conservative minority, major change is inevitable. I think we can expect the Conservatives to pick up a few more seats in rural Ontario, a smattering of 905 seats and maybe even a few in Quebec. The NDP has a lot to gain to and an optomistic prediction has them approaching the thirty seat benchmark, which would be a most impressive gain. One thing is certan, the Liberals have the most to lose and while I'm far from a Conservative supporter, I can't say I won't enjoy a few savage blows to Liberal comfort.

Ridings to Watch

BEACHES/EAST YORK:

Marilyn Churley and Maria Minna have quite the showdown going on in this riding and the NDP with Marilyn have a real chance of grabbing this seat. When Churley was Minister of Consumer and Commerical Relations I found her to be very personable and passionate if at times aloof. But she's a politician with a lot of experience and as a former MPP she's in good position to challenge the incumbent Minna. However, we can't forget Green party leader Jim Harris is also running in this riding largely to spite Churley and he might prove to be the Nader factor that leads to Minna's return.

OSHAWA:

This might not be the showdown initially suspected. Last election it was a tight three-way race with between the NDP the Grits and the Torys with the Conservative candidate, Colin Carrie edging out Liberal Lousie Parkes but about a thousand votes and NDP star candidate by just five hundred or so. One thing is for certain the Liberal support in this riding won't be as high but recent GM layoffs could play out in both the Conservative's or New Democrat's favour. My call is that Carrie gets re-elected by around 750 votes.

LONDON-FANSHAWE:

This is my old riding in London and one very dear to my heart. Former MP and Grade 'A' Chucklehead, Pat O'Brien freaked out and left the Liberals and politics over his staunch opposition to same-sex marriage leaving Irene Mathyssen as the NDP candidate with a real chance. Last election she was edged by O'Brien by just a few thousand votes, but the Liberals failure to mount a decent candidate has rendered this a very rare urban battle between the NDP and the Conservatives. This time around Dan Mailer, the CPC candidate may be able to ride the rising Tory tide and tap into the misguided blue-collar angst that characterizes part of this riding and slide in there. However, I'm predicting Matyssen to grab the seat and become London's first federal NDP MP winning by a margin of just 500 votes.

WHITBY-OSHAWA:

Liberal incumbent Judi Longfield has her work cut out for her as she battle star Conservative candidate Jim Flaherty both revered and feared after his reign with Mike Harris here in Ontario. With many new residents in the riding it's a hard one to predict but I think that with Harper likely forming a government by tomorrow and Flaherty likely to be his right-hand man and Minister of Finance, I think that we'll see the voters in Whitby get behind Jim and push him to a 1500-2000 vote margin of victory.

Conservative CLOWNBOAT Watch:

In AJAX-PICKERING, long-time local poltician, Mark Holland won handily for the Liberals in this riding last year, and was sent to Ottawa as an MP for the first time last June. The Conservative mounted a decent candidate last time in Rene Sotens who closed to within 5000 votes last election. They really could of put their support behind Sotens again and grabbed the seat from still wet behind the ears Holland but instead Rondo Thomas waltzed in. For those of you unfamilar with Rondo, his off the right-wing handle Christian fundamentalism seems more at home in the southern US than it does in New Jax city. He's a Zed Miller looking motherfucker and shares many of the same views and has gone as far to openly state that facts aren't important in same-sex marriage and to remind that the earth is only six thousand years old. He's a strict bible constructionist and he's bat-shit insane.

Check out this video here, for a fun sampling for his views as he declares war on the homosexuals.

RONDOMANIA!

Thankfully, he won't win the seat but the fact that he's even running should trouble even the most staunch Conservative supporters. They really might have been able to take this riding had they went with Sotens instead of Rondo.

Sadly, in the ANCASTER riding, just outside Hamilton an evangelical christian may very well grab the seat. The man in question is David Sweet and as former leader of Canada's Promise Keepers he's one of the biggest loons that could be sitting as an MP in the governing party.

Here's some quotes:

“[M]en are natural influencers, whether we like it or not. There’s a particular reason why Jesus called men only. It’s not that women aren’t co-participators. It’s because Jesus knew women would naturally follow.†David Sweet, in Christian Week, November 27th, 2001 (see http://72.14.207.104/u/ChristianWeek?q=cache:XZFwLynLeE8J:christianweek.org/Stories/vol15/no16/story4.html)

Promise Keepers do not encourage a relationship of equals in a marriage. Rather, they call for men to “take†their role as the leader in the family. Promise Keeper Tony Evans stated “I am not suggesting that you ask for your role back, I am urging you to take it back. There can be no compromise here.†(See www.now.org/issues/right/promise/mythfact.html)
The View From Here: My Riding

Here in the riding of PICKERING-SCARBOROUGH-EAST, incumbent Liberal blowhard and anti-same-sex-marriage-pro-life-anti-fitty-cent resident retard, Dan McTeague is set to recapture his seat despite a solid campaign by Tim Dobson for the Conservatives. Last year Danny-boy won by well over ten-thousand votes and despite his current dirty politics which is just a hop skip and a jump away from a good old' fashioned book-burning, he should still win by about 3500-5000 votes. I personally voted for NDP candidate Gary Dale who desperately needs the 1.75 for next time in order to at least afford a few more signs to show that NDP isn't completely wiped out in this riding.

That's about all I got to spout-off about, and I avoided discussing the obvious contest at Trinity-Spadian because I'm sure someone up in this piece knows better than I, has been to some of the debates and can weight in on Olivia's chances of finally capturing that elusive seat away from Ianno.

It should be quite the night!

Last edited:

~atp~

TRIBE Member
haha, hilarious summary. I'm off to the gym to work off some excess pre-PC fury, then I'll probably just hit up a bar and start drinking.

VinylRach

TRIBE Promoter
HAHA SO TRUE about the beaches.
Its funny...There's a big sign outside the licks, you can put a fake vote in there everyday and they tally the votes and put them on a big board outside the restaurant...and the conservatives are winning by 10%, but if you go up and down the streets NDP signs are on almost every lawn.

Ditto Much

TRIBE Member
hmm I may have just answered my own question...

WHY NO RESULTS ON CBC.ca UNTIL 10 P.M. EST?

By law, on election night, Canadian news organizations aren't allowed to publish results to any part of the country in which the polls are still open.

Because CBC.ca is available everywhere, we can't publish results until 10 p.m. EST (7:00 p.m. PST), when the polls close in British Columbia and the Yukon. It also means all live radio streaming for CBC Radio One and Two, normally available 24/7 on CBC.ca, will stop at 7 p.m. EST, when the polls close in Newfoundland and results start to come in, and won't resume until 10 p.m.

This is different than the last federal election. In June 2004, all Canadian media organizations – including CBC.ca – were legally allowed to publish results across the country as soon as they became available. That's because the B.C. Supreme Court, prior to that election, had struck down the results ban.

But in May 2005, the B.C. Court of Appeal reversed the lower court's decision and upheld the ban. A group of news companies, including the CBC, filed a motion earlier this month asking the Supreme Court of Canada to suspend the ban for this election, until an appeal of the reversal could be heard. The court rejected that motion, so the ban stands. The Supreme Court of Canada will probably rule on the appeal before the next federal election.

Spinsah

TRIBE Member
The CBC's coverage should be quite the spectacle.

Ron and Don are doing a coaches corner, Kardinal and Gavin from Vice are going to be on a panel with George Strombo.

CTV might fall to second this year in terms of viewership.

Interesting that you mention the BC ruling because if this was a blog, and we were discussing results before 10 EST then we could all be going to JAIL!!!11!

Ditto Much

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Spinsah
The CBC's coverage should be quite the spectacle.

Ron and Don are doing a coaches corner, Kardinal and Gavin from Vice are going to be on a panel with George Strombo.

CTV might fall to second this year in terms of viewership.

Interesting that you mention the BC ruling because if this was a blog, and we were discussing results before 10 EST then we could all be going to JAIL!!!11!

Oh come on this is open discussion and speculation not reported news.

But when results come in please forward my way.

AdRiaN

TRIBE Member
Early results ...

Newfoundland separatist, Jerry Boyle, has been elected! He ran a clean and simple campaign: "If you can mark an X, you are my kind of people!"

mikeinflames

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by AdRiaN
Early results ...

Newfoundland separatist, Jerry Boyle, has been elected! He ran a clean and simple campaign: "If you can mark an X, you are my kind of people!"
that joke is so old it's not even funny anymore

boost

TRIBE Member
so does anyone have any results from the east?

i just moved to BC and it's killing me that i can't find out

Wiseman

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by boost
so does anyone have any results from the east?

i just moved to BC and it's killing me that i can't find out
so far the results are:

Angry Voter: 1

Ballot Box: 0

mikeinflames

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by AdRiaN
Ouch! You really burned me on that one, mikeinflames.
wasn't trying to burn you as much i was trying to put out how lame that joke is
but it's not even half as lame as your attempt at humour with my username

Last edited:

Lurker

TRIBE Member
linky

Good to see Reuters abiding by our law forbidding publishing of results. I was wondering if any interweb news sites would carry results.

The easy way for no results to be broacasted/blogged/whatever is to count the votes overnight and reveal our new ruler the next day

EffinHard

TRIBE Member
This is the first time anyone in the Conservative Party has been called a minority...

thank god its not a majority...
I hope the NDP get more seats...

FoxyM

TRIBE Member
i just switched from CBC it to CityTv for a split second to find Gord Martineau announcing that the Conservatives had won.:rolleyes: