• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

The Nuvaring thread

dyad

TRIBE Member
*le sigh*

me and hormonal bc just dont get along.

after side effect after side effect on the nuvaring i cast it aside in july. august's period was 2 weeks late and then i didnt have a period until 2 weeks ago.

i might add that was 3.75 months of boy-am-i-ever-fucking-pleasant!

ah well, was worth a try i suppose. of course the no baby dance every month without the guarantee gives a girl a little something to look forward to!

starr

TRIBE Member
So there's one odd(?) side effect of the nuva ring that i've been tracking and has been fairly consistent over the time i've been tracking it (4 to 5 months).

It seems that I get my PMS symptoms 2 weeks before my period for about a week, instead of the week directly before it. It's totally consistent. Just thought I'd mention it.

Fairie

TRIBE Member
^^
That happened to me as well when I was on the pill. Now that I'm off it, I PMS the week before my period. It's been interesting to see how things are changing now that I've been (added) hormone free for a few months.

Soulster

TRIBE Member
kmac said:
I've got knockers now. Thanks Nuvaring.
i definitely don't have knockers, but this morning my bf pushed my boobs together and actually managed to get cleavage enough for a kind of junior motorboat.

LOL

my poor boyfriend suffering with the hardship of itty bitty titties. ;)

Muffin

TRIBE Member
I've been on it for 4 months now and I love it. It's totally easy, I feel way less crazy and I love not having to remember to take a pill.

I did the 2 back to back thing for a beach vacation in March and it worked like a charm - I could never get that to work with the pill, so I was pretty stoked.

Definitely glad I gave the ring a try (thanks for the encouragement tribe ladies). :)

starrshyne

TRIBE Member
i'm finding nuvaring kind of creepy, but hoping that i can convince myself that it's not.

a couple of days in so far, though, and i'm constantly dizzy and weird feeling. i can't tell if it's from the ring, or if it's after-effects from being sick.

queen naeema

TRIBE Member
this sounds like an excellent thing to use. i have a couple questions:

the last time i used any kind of hormonal birth control was like 10 years ago, can anyone who is using this nuvaring comment on using it after not using any kind of hormonal birth control for a long period of time?

i smoke a lot, is that a problem?

i cant think of anythign else. this was a very informative thread!

angelsole

TRIBE Member
i am currently giving the nuvaring a shot and i am not sure if i am a fan or not. true it doesn't make me as emotional as other bc but i was off any hormones for 8 months and i am not sure i like feeling as though my cycle is being externally controlled. i do like the light periods and the knowledge that i am not pregnant but my sex drive is not the same and i don't know if it's worth it. still on the fence with this one.

ila

TRIBE Member
I'm about to switch from Alesse to the NuvaRing in a couple of days and I can't find answers to these questions online:

1. Condom sex. The pharmacist said it wasn't necessary for the first month, but what do you guys think? I think added protection might not be a bad idea considering I'm switching things up.

2. Will my boyfriend grow tits? I know the urethra isn't as large a surface area for absorbing shit, and I know that it's only going to be exposed to it for you know, sexy time, but is he going to be absorbing estrogen and progesterone that he doesn't need to be absorbing?

3. Anyone ever get break-through bleeding after taking the NuvaRing out for a couple of hours and then putting it back in? I know the limit is 3 hours, but I don't want break-through bleeding. Sucks balls.

4. Anyone use this simultaneously with the Diva Cup? You know how there's always some overlap. Will the two collide and fuck with each other?

stargurl*

TRIBE Member
1. My doctor advised it for the first week or so
2. My husband didn't
3. I've never taken it out for a couple hours, so I don't know
4. I do, although for me it normally works out that there's only maybe one day where I'm using both. Removing the cup will sometimes bring the ring out with it, but it's seriously no big deal.

starrshyne

TRIBE Member
1. my doctor definitely advised extra protection for at least the first week
2-4. can't really answer since i hated the thing so much i threw it out after two weeks.

ila

TRIBE Member
Thanks so much, guys. Especially for the NuvaRing/ Diva Cup combo answer. Much appreciated!!

First week, eh? I wonder why that is and not the whole month. I mean, if you ovulate once you're screwed for the whole month anyway, right?

At any rate, I'm going the condom route for the first month. Nooooo babies.

Pyrovitae

TRIBE Member
^ whoa there nelly. my doctor recommended taking it out for no more than an hour. also, you can take it out during sex, as long as it's not out for longer than an hour.

i was totally loving the nuvaring but my past two periods have been nonexistent. i did a pregnancy test which came back negative and am now worried that my periods have again ceased completely. not that i wanna be a baby mama anytime soon, but i also don't like knowing my womb is completely barren.

ila

TRIBE Member
An hour, eh?

Good to know!

I don't care much about missing periods...as long as I know it's from the NuvaRing and not pregnancy. Not ideal, but not as bad as the nausea and extreme tit growth I got from the pill.

ila

TRIBE Member
SWEEET!! Thanks Muffin!!

If you want to switch to NuvaRing® from another method of birth control
Switching is easy -- just follow the directions below.

Switching from a combined hormonal contraceptive pill (containing both progestin and estrogen)
Switch from your previous combined hormonal contraceptive pill on any day, but at the latest on the day following the usual hormone-free interval, by inserting NuvaRing®. If you have been using your hormonal contraceptive method consistently and correctly, no extra birth control method should be needed

starr

TRIBE Member
I generally push it in as far as it'll go. You don't really feel it after the first day or so. It's like the Ron Popeil (sp?) machine: you set it and forget it. ;)

queen naeema

TRIBE Member
ila said:
4. Anyone use this simultaneously with the Diva Cup? You know how there's always some overlap. Will the two collide and fuck with each other?

damn that is a lot to stuff up one's snatch!

KiX

TRIBE Member
dude, it IS a lot of shit to stash up there. i attempted this but felt like a cartel drug mule prepping to cross the border.

never again!

sugar

TRIBE Member
I can't say I miss having a plastic bracelet shoved up there.

It was definitely nice not having to take a pill every day, but maybe if they'd make that thing smaller it wouldn't have been so problematic for me.

ila

TRIBE Member
KiX said:
dude, it IS a lot of shit to stash up there. i attempted this but felt like a cartel drug mule prepping to cross the border.

never again!
hilarious! I love you guys.

Sugar, it really is too flipping big. I think it should be smaller and go farther back. I took it out of the package and was like, "you gotta be fucking kidding me"